North Macedonia

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

North Macedonia

Post by Norm »

Ezgjan is from there - anyone know where it is?

No it's not in the outer Hebrides, no it's not on Mars, no it's not in Surrey.

Just an idle thought! I'm not sure even about the language the Macedonians use, but Alioski sure uses the right language on the field.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: North Macedonia

Post by Smudge3920 »

It is North of Greece Norm, The country used to be called FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) It became North Macedonia after declaring its independance from Yugoslavia in 1991 ...There is no South Macedonia, but inside the borders of Greece there is an area also called Macedonia.
Mac 1.jpg
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:33 am

Just an idle thought! I'm not sure even about the language the Macedonians use, but Alioski sure uses the right language on the field.
His last heard words at Elland Road..

I'm offski
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Norm, knowing your liking of making sure everything is spot on, accurate (spelling wise at least) this is a country where you’d want to get the name correct given the well documented and long running conflict on the use of ‘Macedonia’ within the name.

It was only, finally, in February 2019 - under the terms of the Prespa agreement that the country changed its constitutional name to the Republic of North Macedonia 🇲🇰
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:21 amThere is no South Macedonia, but inside the borders of Greece there is an area also called Macedonia.
Similarly there is an Ireland, a Northern Ireland, sometimes we hear of the Republic of Ireland (usually just for the football team)...but there is no Southern Ireland.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I live in the outskirts of Bulgaria's second city, Plovdiv.

It's my understanding that North Macedonians predominantly speak a language similar to Bulgarian, and their alphabet is a variation of the Cyrillic alphabet that was developed in Bulgaria many centuries ago, by Cyril and Methodi, and that's used in several Eastern European countries.

Balkan history and culture is very complex and intermingled.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

Very complex indeed, hard to get one’s head round it all.
There Is Only One United.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Mountain wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:49 am Similarly there is an Ireland, a Northern Ireland, sometimes we hear of the Republic of Ireland (usually just for the football team)...but there is no Southern Ireland.
Then there is the North, the South, Ulster, the six counties, the Free State, and a few others. What you call the place instantly reveals what camp you were born into.

Dangerous stuff
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

I’ve got family and friends in County Louth, in the North-East of the Republic.
People in Northern Ireland call it “the south “.
🤷‍♂️
There Is Only One United.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Thanks everyone for commenting. I appreciate the heck out of you all and it proves to me, as if I really needed it, that MOT is the fan site of the thinkers.

:clape: