The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 16th July) - Costa off to Spain?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 16th July) - Costa off to Spain?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 16th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Costa off to Spain?

In his first article back since successfully undergoing brain surgery, Phil Hay has disclosed that Leeds winger Helder Costa has been linked to several La Liga clubs including Valencia this Summer. The 27 year old cost the Whites £16m during their promotion winning season, though the one time capped Portuguese International has failed to live up to his price tag. Whilst we see glimpses of brilliance, he has been unable to replicate the kind of form he showed for Wolves!

How much of a loss can Leeds afford to take on Costa? Could he still do a job at Leeds, or are his days at Elland Road numbered? Over his 69 appearances, he has netted eight times and supplied 11 assists. According to the former chief football writer for the YEP, Hay said...

Links to Club Brugge’s Noa Lang - a creative and prolific presence in Belgium’s top flight - are genuine, although Leeds have not tabled any offers for the Holland Under-21 international as yet. The arrival of another winger, on the back of Jack Harrison’s permanent £11 million move from Manchester City, would raise questions about the future of Helder Costa, someone who was in and out of Bielsa’s line-up last season.

Sources in Spain have told The Athletic that La Liga clubs are monitoring Costa, Valencia included. Again, no formal bids have been received.

Do Leeds need to sign another midfielder

It would be fair to say there were stages last season where Leeds struggled in the middle of the park. Klich picked up and played on with a hip injury and was running on fumes at some stages of the season, Rodrigo's form was inconsistent and Roberts had more average days than good. Toward the end of the season both Rodrigo and Roberts found good form, and Dallas, deputising for Klich was having the season of his life.

Assuming Klich's batteries are fully recharged, Rodrigo / Roberts continue to find their feet, and Dallas can continue where he left off, do Leeds need another midfielder? Forshaw is on the comeback trail, and reports from Thorp Arch suggests an improvement in Shackleton's play.

Transfer fees for Leeds current squad

Our friends at Lufcdata have provided an entire list of the Leeds roster, and how much each individual player has cost. Bearing this in mind, how do you think Leeds have done in the transfer market?

Attachments
squad.jpeg
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 16th July) - Costa off to Spain?

Post by The Subhuman »

If Rodrigo lives up to near his 27M it looks like great work throughout. He's the key though, Bielsa can't find where to play him then he becomes a bust for us despite his obvious talent. Raph at 17 looks a steal as does Llorente, Koch has shown nothing but quality when he plays.

Firpo looks a cheap punt at a quality Alio replacement. Bamford cost less then you'd pay for a bench striker and Costa has repaid at least half his fee being instrumental in the promotion season imo, if we get 8-10 back that's good business.

Klich is the steal, work out how many goals and assists we got to the pound there. Meslier looks the read deal

Dallas, Ayling are both starting prem class for 1.7M

It's an A right now with A plus a possibility if Rodrigo starts 30 games plus this season but a B if he's stuck on the bench or is sold at a loss between now and next season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Costa at prem prices still seems value as an off the bench player with the power to change a game. If we sell and buy a replacement we'll be paying for another back up. Raph and Jack are our wingers for the foreseeable future. There were very few if any players with Jacks first touch playing at the euros
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

The current roster looks very impressive, some incredible signings there.

However, there is still one big very expensive cloud over ER, who is not on the roster but may still cost tens of millions...
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:31 am Costa at prem prices still seems value as an off the bench player with the power to change a game. If we sell and buy a replacement we'll be paying for another back up. Raph and Jack are our wingers for the foreseeable future. There were very few if any players with Jacks first touch playing at the euros
Absolutely. We are not yet in a position (if we ever will be) to have elite players on our bench. We rely on talented youngsters and good squad players like Costa who are more than capable of filling in for short periods of time.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Would be interesting to know how much each individual player is valued at now.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:59 am Would be interesting to know how much each individual player is valued at now.
We could get 40-50 million right now for Raphinha if we wanted to. But if any team comes sniffing round they can do one.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 am We could get 40-50 million right now for Raphinha if we wanted to. But if any team comes sniffing round they can do one.
The same with Phillips who came through the academy & cost us no signing fee.

Even though Ayling & Dallas have just turned 30yo I reckon they are worth £20 million each.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I read that Kalvin Phillips would have been next but one to take a penalty against Italy.

6th would have been Pickford!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You might have read that here
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

First just because teams are interested in Costa it doesn't mean he is going, doubt he will until we have a replacement.

Agree with others he's still a useful back up.

I know lots of fans don't rate him as Prem standard but looking at some of his appearances they were in some of our great games against the big boys, both games against Man City including playing a significant role in both of our goals in the 10 man win.
Played in the draws against Liverpool and Scum along with the 4-3 defeat to a controversial penalty at Anfield.

You can't carry passengers against those teams so he did his bit.
Not saying he's our best player but OK squad man until we have produced or can afford better.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Personally bit concerned after reading Phil's article for a few reasons.

1) Earlier this year it was reported we were looking at 4 to 5 new 1st team signings. Now it seems to be less, 2 maybe 3 plus a goalie but the goalie is just a backup. For me i feel that this team has reached a cycle end point and it requires significant refreshment. Could be wrong but imo thats the point we are at and it doesnt seem that will happen.

2) The lack of a number 10 signing. As Phil states in his article, we were considering a number 10 after Pablo left but after Rodrigo and Roberts end of season form they decided against it. 2 problems with that imo, first, Rodrigo was playing as a striker most of the time during his purple patch end of season, not a 10. As a 10 the balance never looks quite right, midfield is very open and Klich ends up ploughing a lone furrow. And secondly, i must have missed Tyler Roberts impressive end of season form? He got a goal which was nice but it was hardly sparkling form at all. To me a number 10 is an absolute priority (and that links in to the midfield part of this thread). Imo we need 2 midfielders but it seems we only want one.

3) I am not sure signing a kid from the weak Scandinavian leagues is the answer to our goalkeeping issue. Victor hasnt got a good record when it comes to shopping over there and personally I'd prefer a more proven player.

Finally the lack of urgency.

Orta said he wanted signings done by July 1st, thats 2 weeks ago and we are now only 4 weeks from kickoff.

One of the things we have never managed to do is to get the signings in early like Bielsa likes.

And why the lack of urgency when it comes to a winger?

Personally i am very worried about 2nd season.

The whole second season syndrome, plus the cycle that i believe we have reached the end off and just the fact we arent going to improve the squad enough seemingly.

The worst thing you can do in this league is stand still.

Hopefully this is all just unfounded nonsense but felt i wanted to get this off my chest after PH's return.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:36 am Personally bit concerned after reading Phil's article for a few reasons.

1) Earlier this year it was reported we were looking at 4 to 5 new 1st team signings. Now it seems to be less, 2 maybe 3 plus a goalie but the goalie is just a backup. For me i feel that this team has reached a cycle end point and it requires significant refreshment. Could be wrong but imo thats the point we are at and it doesnt seem that will happen.

2) The lack of a number 10 signing. As Phil states in his article, we were considering a number 10 after Pablo left but after Rodrigo and Roberts end of season form they decided against it. 2 problems with that imo, first, Rodrigo was playing as a striker most of the time during his purple patch end of season, not a 10. As a 10 the balance never looks quite right, midfield is very open and Klich ends up ploughing a lone furrow. And secondly, i must have missed Tyler Roberts impressive end of season form? He got a goal which was nice but it was hardly sparkling form at all. To me a number 10 is an absolute priority (and that links in to the midfield part of this thread). Imo we need 2 midfielders but it seems we only want one.

3) I am not sure signing a kid from the weak Scandinavian leagues is the answer to our goalkeeping issue. Victor hasnt got a good record when it comes to shopping over there and personally I'd prefer a more proven player.

Finally the lack of urgency.

Orta said he wanted signings done by July 1st, thats 2 weeks ago and we are now only 4 weeks from kickoff.

One of the things we have never managed to do is to get the signings in early like Bielsa likes.

And why the lack of urgency when it comes to a winger?

Personally i am very worried about 2nd season.

The whole second season syndrome, plus the cycle that i believe we have reached the end off and just the fact we arent going to improve the squad enough seemingly.

The worst thing you can do in this league is stand still.

Hopefully this is all just unfounded nonsense but felt i wanted to get this off my chest after PH's return.
I'm not too concerned although think we will struggle more this season as teams will have started to work us out.

I think this season is more about consolidating our position than wholesale changes in the squad. Also, when you think about it, who are you going to drop in the starting eleven for new signings?

Meslier - guaranteed starter
LB - we've signed Firpo, job done
CB - we have LLorente, Koch, Coops and Struijk - more than covered
RB - Ayling
CM - Klich, Dallas, Phillips, Rodrigo + Roberts off the bench - you'd say we could do with one more here
Wings - Will be raph and JH, you'd say we could do with another challenger here if Costa goes
Strikers - Paddy + Rodders in reserve

There's not really much space there beyond another cm or cam and a competitive winger for new signings imo. We know Bielsa doesn't really like to rotate so any new signings would likely find themselves on the bench a lot which limits options.

Personally, would like a 10-15 mill winger and 20 mill cam and think we will be sorted.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We cannot also rule out Koch moving into the Phillips role pushing Phillips to the 8 in a Rice/Phillips partnership. Especially in games like City/Liverpool etc where we may cede possessional stats. Options is what MB is looking for and for those options to be available on the pitch at all times.

Staying still is most certainly not the worst thing you can do, unless like Everton a few yrs back we don't add for 2/3 years plus. Stripping your team or growing and adding too fast are the worst things you can do. Looks like we've upgraded at LWB, the youth are one yr older. We may need a 10 still and I'd expect 2 more signings to arrive. But I think we look good right now
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Don't know why people are worried about other teams figuring us out. We were better the second half of last year than the first, after we had already played everyone once. Against Aresenal, Leicester, Scum, Man City, Liverpool, and Tottenham the second time around we lost only the once to Arsenal and demolished both Leicester and Spurs.

If we stay healthy, and if we can find a way to fit both Rodrigo and Bamford on the pitch at the same time (two big ifs, admittedly), we will be a force.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:01 pm Don't know why people are worried about other teams figuring us out. We were better the second half of last year than the first, after we had already played everyone once. Against Aresenal, Leicester, Scum, Man City, Liverpool, and Tottenham the second time around we lost only the once to Arsenal and demolished both Leicester and Spurs.

If we stay healthy, and if we can find a way to fit both Rodrigo and Bamford on the pitch at the same time (two big ifs, admittedly), we will be a force.
:tup: ...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:01 pm Don't know why people are worried about other teams figuring us out. We were better the second half of last year than the first, after we had already played everyone once. Against Aresenal, Leicester, Scum, Man City, Liverpool, and Tottenham the second time around we lost only the once to Arsenal and demolished both Leicester and Spurs.

Agree John :tup: not worried at all.

I think we'll go really well as long as we don't pick-up so many injuries as we did last season.

I believe teams will fear our fitness & attacking prowess!
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

John in Louisiana wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:01 pm Don't know why people are worried about other teams figuring us out. We were better the second half of last year than the first, after we had already played everyone once.
Figuring us out and doing something about it are different things.
Physically few if any can match us and there lies the issue opponents face.
We would have accumulated more points last year if not for the freak period we had all the CBs out at the same time.
Not to mention any dodgy VAR decisions we witnessed.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Agreed works both ways doesn't it ..we figure out other teams too and in fact we get an advantage there due to manager quality
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

As I see it, when Rodrigo was playing 10 last year he wasn’t fully fit, hence the failure to shine - this time round, after a full pre-season under Marcelo being schooled in the role, he may prove to be the CAM we’re looking for.

No point spending another £20m on another player while our record signing sits on the bench. What did we buy him for after all?

At the end of the season when fit and a stone lighter he dazzled playing 9/ false 9, giving Marcelo the positional flexibility he values.

Save the dosh, buy a £15-20m winger and let Costa go.