How safe will it be attending ER this season?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

How safe will it be attending ER this season?

Post by 1964white »

A full capacity crowd

The place will be a cauldron of noise especially where I am in the kop.

Then there is the travelling to games on coaches I seriously have to consider....almost certain in my own mind that I'll drive to games.

I'm looking forward to the new season but I'm approaching the thought of watching Leeds with a sense of trepidation.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: How safe will it be attending ER this season?

Post by whiteroseboy »

This can go two ways, don't think there is a doubt covid will spread but if the vaccination regime means hospital admissions and deaths are kept low then its a step forward.

Against that it really could back fire big style.

I believe only the vaccinated should be allowed, I know that will nark the anti vaxers, but personally think this will end with a fair proportion of them regretting their decision.

It's all opinion and only time will produce the real answers.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

I can understand your concerns Leon, it will all feel a bit strange to begin with stuck with 30 odd thousand people surrounding you. I'm more than happy to watch footy on TV at the mo.....
hector

Post by hector »

If you are gonna stand in the Kop, and be surrounded by 100's of plebs without masks, all coughing and farting in your general direction, I don't see how going in your car will make any difference to be honest.... Apart from tiring you out more.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Odds on you catch covid if you go, just depends if you think it'll be nothing more than a cold or nothing at all as you've had your jabs Leon. You will probably have to isolate at some point and there's also the risk to others in your life mate.

Personally if you can afford it I'd wait till it's clearer what's happening.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sound advice from my pals on here :tup:

I have to show consideration to Jill & our business which would be seriously affected if either of us became ill or had to self-isolate for two weeks.

Tickets for away games are going to be much more difficult to acquire this season so I've resigned myself to missing out on my travelling exploits.

Everton at ER on Saturday 21st August is the immediate concern. I was always going to miss our second home game v Liverpool due to holiday commitments.

Our 3rd home game v West Ham is on Saturday the 25th September, by that time the realisation & number of the covid related cases will become more apparent.

Thank you all :-D
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I can’t help but think the govt is pushing the “herd immunity” agenda by utilising it’s no-limits policy. ie spread the virus until there’s nowhere else for it to go. And then they will hold their collective breath and cross fingers that immunisation means hospitalisation and deaths fail with an “acceptable” tolerance, whatever that might be.
I think if you go into a crowd situation Covid is inevitable. Sorry.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Covid really is about managing your own personal risk.

People have been making these kind of choices for 12 months now. Do you send your kids to school, do you not? Do you go back into the office? Do you go into town? Do you go out to eat? It's about how you feel about it. You are double jabbed so you are reducing your risk of serious illness but there is still a chance you could catch it. Whether you get seriously ill or not seems to be random but there is no doubt being vaccinated seriously reduces that risk.

With vaccination seeming not to halt the spread, but reduce symptoms, I feel like it's going to become endemic in the population so it's a risk we have to manage in our own ways going forward.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:22 pm Covid really is about managing your own personal risk.

People have been making these kind of choices for 12 months now. Do you send your kids to school, do you not? Do you go back into the office? Do you go into town? Do you go out to eat? It's about how you feel about it. You are double jabbed so you are reducing your risk of serious illness but there is still a chance you could catch it. Whether you get seriously ill or not seems to be random but there is no doubt being vaccinated seriously reduces that risk.

With vaccination seeming not to halt the spread, but reduce symptoms, I feel like it's going to become endemic in the population so it's a risk we have to manage in our own ways going forward.
Both things you can do and still manage the risk, you drive yourself and can socially distance etc. But that goes out of the window at a crowded football game. You lose that control
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:30 pm Both things you can do and still manage the risk, you drive yourself and can socially distance etc. But that goes out of the window at a crowded football game. You lose that control
Indeed Faaip, we have a choice & managed our lives staying relatively safe for the last sixteen months, attending ER I'd lose that control :tup:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

faaip wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:30 pm Both things you can do and still manage the risk, you drive yourself and can socially distance etc. But that goes out of the window at a crowded football game. You lose that control

Absolutely, all different levels of risk. Some people are still not prepared to go out to a restaurant. A crowd at a football match is probably the biggest risk you could possibly take.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:44 pm Absolutely, all different levels of risk. Some people are still not prepared to go out to a restaurant. A crowd at a football match is probably the biggest risk you could possibly take.
I think so Adam.

It felt quite safe at the West Brom game with only 8,000 fans in the ground, yes their were pockets of fans not wearing masks but everybody seem to stick to their seats therefore we were spread apart.

There'll be no such decorum at ER for our first & future games after the absence of spectators last season with euphoria & manic scenes occurring within the stadium. The bars/concourses will be heaving as will be the case with the toilet facilities.

We also have to remember the infection is far worse now than in May & is on the increase significantly, a month down the line when all the rules are relaxed the situation will worsen considerably.

Would football supporters particularly Leeds fans self-isolate if they came into any contact with anyone having Covid? with the majority I very much doubt it!
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Where we live we have not even masked, just taken life for what it is and understand that if someone dies it's their own choice to live a normal life - I think 1 person has died in the whole county of 9,000+. OK we're a small community but, honestly, I've had covid-19 with a 1-day spike in temperature which went down in 6 hours by taking tylenol. This disease has been massively over-exacerbated and seemingly over-panicked about. I understand that the death rate is concerning but the last time I looked at the figures it was something akin to the normal 'flu deaths in a year - maybe more now but not massively so. :dun:

The human race has to carry on life as normal for it to survive.
Attending ER is a slightly different matter I suppose but, really, get on with life!
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Covid is here to stay, like flu, it's never going away. As long as you've been vaccinated, then continue as normal.
Or there's a simple choice, stay at home..
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I guess the older you are the choice gets easier, as a retiree I can certainly be in full control of my movements and contact. But the younger generations, especially those married with growing children, life is becoming unbearably difficult. OB makes a very good point, about Govt's pushing towards the herd immunity, I have suspected the same here in Canada lately. I doubt they will ever admit to not being able to control it and they will hope that nature will do it for them.
Regarding the question of the thread... I suspect if I still lived in Leeds, I would lean towards not attending sports fixtures as much as I would hate to have to make that decision.... I will not be attending any more Hockey games here in Canada.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Cognitive dissonance is a theory in social psychology. It refers to the mental conflict that occurs when a person's behaviors and beliefs do not align. ... Cognitive dissonance causes feelings of unease and tension, and people attempt to relieve this discomfort in different ways.

BELIEF: if I take the vaccination then I will be protected from covid-19. I have had two jabs therefore I am safe.

BEHAVIOUR: I am uneasy about attending a football game at ER. I am not sure about being on a coach with other people. I would wear a mask and practice social distancing

RELIEF: self isolate

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:44 am Cognitive dissonance is a theory in social psychology. It refers to the mental conflict that occurs when a person's behaviors and beliefs do not align. ... Cognitive dissonance causes feelings of unease and tension, and people attempt to relieve this discomfort in different ways.

BELIEF: if I take the vaccination then I will be protected from covid-19. I have had two jabs therefore I am safe.

BEHAVIOUR: I am uneasy about attending a football game at ER. I am not sure about being on a coach with other people. I would wear a mask and practice social distancing

You really do throw in some great thought provoking posts Rab...Not knowing anything regarding this I asked Mrs. S (who is a Psycologist) to explain it to me...she laughed and said "next time we have a couple of weeks to spare"... What she did say was, "simply, there has been massive studies done on this since the 50's and it is a well accepted theory. If you do not address cognative dissonance, it can greatly influence your rational and decion making (negatively). On the other side when addressed it can enhance your rational and decision making (positivly)".

Good post mate, and very relevant to this day and age.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:44 am Cognitive dissonance is a theory in social psychology. It refers to the mental conflict that occurs when a person's behaviors and beliefs do not align. ... Cognitive dissonance causes feelings of unease and tension, and people attempt to relieve this discomfort in different ways.

You cannot practice self-distancing on a coach or at a full capacity ER.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote:
You cannot practice self-distancing on a coach or at full capacity ER.
I bet you could Leon you could quite easily lock yourself in the toilet on the coach. and let's forget the social distancing since that is impossible but you will wear a mask won't you

Last edited by rab_rant on Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:19 am Where we live we have not even masked, just taken life for what it is and understand that if someone dies it's their own choice to live a normal life - I think 1 person has died in the whole county of 9,000+. OK we're a small community but, honestly, I've had covid-19 with a 1-day spike in temperature which went down in 6 hours by taking tylenol. This disease has been massively over-exacerbated and seemingly over-panicked about. I understand that the death rate is concerning but the last time I looked at the figures it was something akin to the normal 'flu deaths in a year - maybe more now but not massively so. :dun:

The human race has to carry on life as normal for it to survive.
Attending ER is a slightly different matter I suppose but, really, get on with life!
Jill & I do get on with our lives Norm, we run our own business, still do our weekly supermarket shop, go for long walks, house duties & tend our beautiful garden, I'm still playing bowls & we are just back from our Cornish holiday a couple of weeks ago with two more holidays to come in the autumn. On Tuesday our day-off we're heading to the North Yorks Moors, wouldn't dream of going into Scarborough or Bridlington though.

All work/social commitments in our control.

As you say attending ER is a different matter & I lose total control.