Newcastle United Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: As a Toon fan

Post by The Subhuman »

Good time to play us, it'll be our 3rd or 4th CB partnership of the season, we'll be playing a right wing back in central defence probably and Klich may not play if he's not full over his Covid yet.. TBH a draw looks likely but could go either way depending who gets the breaks ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Manure/City/Chelsea and Liverpool are in a league of their own.. I'm just hoping we do well in the tier down - Spurs/Arsenal/Leicester/Everton and West Ham... if we can finish among that bunch, maybe 9th, it'll be a good season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Spotty wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:55 am I'm not hopeful of getting anything on Friday. We seem to be - as we always are - on a perpetual slide with an owner who spent on average £2.7m yes, that's £2.7m, on players per YEAR. Horrifying stats for us.

As I said, expecting a 2-1 defeat on Friday night. You have nothing to fear from a Steve Bruce side. My second point should not be seen as a criticism of LUFC in any way. But watching your game match on Sunday where Liverpool could and should have scored a hatfull against you, was depressing. It highlights the absolute divide between Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Man U and the rest of the League. You rightly are seen as an attractive side to watch, Bielsas reputation as a man infatuated with football and your fitness levels, yet still the gulf between you and Liverpool was massive was it not.

Maybe it's just my totally negative view of our situation at Newcastle has made me unduly negative but it feels like apart from the team's mentioned above, the rest of the PL have very little hope of being successful.

Do any of you guys agree about Sundays game and my admittedly, negative slant on the state of play in the Premiership?.
Hi Spotty,

If there ever was a good time for you to play us then it's right now.. We had a dreadful pre-season and have been dire in our first 4 matches, even Burnley looked more cohesive than us :shock:

We are struggling to string two passes together. Other than Kalvin the midfield is none existent, to the extent that the likes of Tarkowski and Maguire are trundling right through our CM :?

We are a pale imitation of what we were last season, the confidence, crisp passing, high energy press, relentless energy, and the competent defending (from the second half of last season) has all vanished.

I agree that the top 4 are light years ahead of us, mainly due to their abundance of riches.

But we did show in the second half of last season that by taking a more pragmatic approach we can compete with the top 6. That's now been abandoned and we're back to getting pasted by them, Scum and Liverpool could both have scored a bucket more than the chances they put away.

We failed to address our squad deficiencies in the summer, particularly in CM. Our Chairman even had the front to say Adam Forshaw, whose been out with a serious hip condition for two years and is injured again, was the answer to our midfield vaccuum, you couldn't make it up mate :shock:

I know that you have your won problems with Ashley and the dinosaur Bruce, but if you cannot get a win against our shocking (and further weakened) defence, non-existent midfield and toothless attack, then Newcastle will be prime candidates for going down with Norwich and Watford.

Our performances have been shocking so I'll accept any kind of win on Friday night, as we've got West Ham after that.

That should make you feel a bit better mate ;-)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Can’t argue with your assessment of the Liverpool game Spotty, we could have been 4 or 5 down even before Struijk was (wrongly) sent off.

I think you and we have suffered a very poor start and pessimism about our prospects for this season is setting in already, you believe we will beat you on Friday, I think if we can scrape a draw it will be as much as we can expect. I suppose it’s a symptom of the reality these days that the 4 teams you have mentioned, due to their spending power, are going to be at the top and the rest of us are going to be also rans.

Personally, I think it’s a shame that English league football has become a closed shop. I am old enough to remember a time in the old 1st division when any one of 20 teams, the likes of ourselves, Ipswich, Derby, Notts Forest, Villa, Newcastle, West Ham, even Bristol City etc, could compete on equal terms with them, I think I even remember Newport County being top of the 1st division for a while.

That all changed, of course, when Sky came into football and the Premier league was instigated, and in my opinion certainly not for the better.

Good luck for the season Spotty, except when you’re playing us!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:42 am Hi Spotty,

If there ever was a good time for you to play us then it's right now.. We had a dreadful pre-season and have been dire in our first 4 matches, even Burnley looked more cohesive than us :shock:

We are struggling to string two passes together. Other than Kalvin the midfield is none existent, to the extent that the likes of Tarkowski and Maguire are trundling right through our CM :?

We are a pale imitation of what we were last season, the confidence, crisp passing, high energy press, relentless energy, and the competent defending (from the second half of last season) has all vanished.

I agree that the top 4 are light years ahead of us, mainly due to their abundance of riches.

But we did show in the second half of last season that by taking a more pragmatic approach we can compete with the top 6. That's now been abandoned and we're back to getting pasted by them, Scum and Liverpool could both have scored a bucket more than the chances they put away.

We failed to address our squad deficiencies in the summer, particularly in CM. Our Chairman even had the front to say Adam Forshaw, whose been out with a serious hip condition for two years and is injured again, was the answer to our midfield vaccuum, you couldn't make it up mate :shock:

I know that you have your won problems with Ashley and the dinosaur Bruce, but if you cannot get a win against our shocking (and further weakened) defence, non-existent midfield and toothless attack, then Newcastle will be prime candidates for going down with Norwich and Watford.

Our performances have been shocking so I'll accept any kind of win on Friday night, as we've got West Ham after that.

That should make you feel a bit better mate ;-)
Can't argue with any of that Riot.

I can't believe we are going into this game not feeling confident.

Fingers crossed we gain a victory.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:00 pm Can't argue with any of that Riot.

I can't believe we are going into this game not feeling confident.

Fingers crossed we gain a victory.
Cheers mate,

Lack of confidence is a reflection of where we're currently at and the "performances" we've witnessed.

At least we've finally found a pair and are appealing Struijk's red card. If that's not rescinded then Orta should be filled up with Tequila and given free rein to go to the FA headquarters and run round naked screaming "Vamos Leeds cavajo! Puta madre!, etc" and nutting any FA officials he encounters :)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Oi spotty, I shouldn't think there'll be much in it on friday neet fella, we're not the same team as last year, have a woeful defence a woeful midfield carving very little chances and a woeful attack finishing very little of the very little chances created.
I wish we had St Max in our threadbare team.
As for t' rest of the league, as had already been said, light yrs away from the big 4, even arsenal & spurs can't break into that little monopoloy.
We aint panicking just yet, we have the ability to turn things around , but thats down to the managers reluctance to accept change, will he , won't he !!
I have a few good mates from Newcastle and I'm very well versed with the Ashley regime, we had it with Bates the crook for far too long, at the moment we are in a much better state than we were 3 seasons back, we have good infrastructure, the backers need to show their real intent imho and let us know where we are heading.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:10 pm
At least we've finally found a pair and are appealing Struijk's red card. If that's not rescinded then Orta should be filled up with Tequila and given free rein to go to the FA headquarters and run round naked screaming "Vamos Leeds cavajo! Puta madre!, etc" and nutting any FA officials he encounters :)
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Great how we welcome fans of other clubs and that they want to visit us on MOT and that we can all have sensible chats together :)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:02 pm Great how we welcome fans of other clubs and that they want to visit us on MOT and that we can all have sensible chats together :)
Exactly Swannie, that's how it should be. I don't believe in approaching football, or life in general, with a blinkered approach.

Let's have a laugh and share our thoughts and experiences, good and bad.
Spotty
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Spotty »

Some great points. General consensus about the four teams I mentioned and the rest. Suppose it's a Barometer of how well we are doing - or not - by our results against those teams. My boy said during the match that Leeds done the double over us last year and are getting murdered by Liverpool.

All I want is for us to compete and go into games not expecting to concede a hatfull.

Apart from when you play us, good luck for the rest of the season, I know WE are going to need our fair share of it.
1964white

Re: Newcastle United Thread

Post by 1964white »

https://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/ ... -kick-off/

Apparently Toon fans chucking paper planes from the top of the stands at the Leeds game :roll:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Paper Planes???

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

Apparently Toon fans chucking paper planes from the top of the stands at the Leeds game :roll:
Paper planes could be a bit more than a nuisance if they're loaded with something very light but unpleasant.

Just saying.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Spotty wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm Some great points. General consensus about the four teams I mentioned and the rest. Suppose it's a Barometer of how well we are doing - or not - by our results against those teams. My boy said during the match that Leeds done the double over us last year and are getting murdered by Liverpool.

All I want is for us to compete and go into games not expecting to concede a hatfull.

Apart from when you play us, good luck for the rest of the season, I know WE are going to need our fair share of it.
Are you going to the game Spotty?
Spotty
Youth Team
Youth Team

From a Toon fan

Post by Spotty »

Draw probably fair result. Said midweek when I popped on here, we are going to struggle this season, for us going down or go right down to the wire.

As for Leeds you'll probably finish between 11th and 15 th. Reinforces what I said earlier in the week, apart from the top four the rest will be looking to stay safe or cup run.

Pretty depressing really

Good luck people
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: From a Toon fan

Post by Cjay »

Two lower mid table teams who have 1 or 2 quality players who they rely on.

Both are to easy to get at imo and will Concede bucket loads this season.

We aren't a patch on the side of last season, maybe 1 season to far for this squad (strongly suspect that is true).

As for you you had some decent moments from ASM, keep him fit and you will be fine but defensively similarly to us you look vulnerable.

Didn't see the protest?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

You wobbled badly when you went behind but we’re incapable of delivering knockout blows.

Grew in confidence after the goal and were much more settled in the second half. Deserved the draw in the end. If you had one or two more players that could shoot straight besides St. Maximin then you’d be fine, similar to us really.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Spotty your only chance is Maxima , keep him fit and he might keep you up. Leeds bricked it every time he had the ball and we opened up like the red sea on too many occasions but that's our suicidal way of playing which I think will catch up with us this season. Any team with pace will always tie Leeds in knots and we were fortunate that your guys were as crap as ours in front of goal. We're both going to need plenty of good fortune to stay up I reckon.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Bongo1874
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bongo1874 »

You deserved to win that game, we had chances but leeds overall were the better team, should of had a stonewall penalty, Firpo miss, Roberts was terrible when he came on, Saint max and Almiron were great for us tonight, with Wilson back I reckon both teams will stay up, Leeds lack squad depth, think it was 8 U21s tonight on you're bench.

Was in the Sir Bobby Robson suite tonight, now making my way too Dingwall Ross County, to watch my Scottish team Hearts.

All the best for the season ahead, was talking to a guy that is connected to you're club tonight, you don't have to worry about kalvin 👍.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Cheers Bongo, hope you’re right about Kalvin. Only saw the 2nd half so can only judge on that - seemed pretty even to me. Good luck for the rest of the season, imo the Premier needs us rather than the likes of Burnley, Watford, Norwich etc.