Lewis Bate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Lewis Bate

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2021-07-22 11.34.39.png

Leeds United are pleased to announce the signing of Lewis Bate.

The midfielder joins the Whites from fellow Premier League side Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

Bate, who attracted interest from a number of clubs, has penned a three-year-deal at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2024.

The 18-year-old has been part of the Chelsea youth setup for the last 10 years and captained the Blues in the 2020 FA Youth Cup final.

Last season he made the step up to Under-23s football, making 20 appearances as Chelsea finished runners-up in Premier League 2 Division 1.

He has also won caps at youth level for England at both Under-17 and Under-18 level.

Bate becomes Leeds’ fifth signing of the summer transfer window, following the arrivals of Junior Firpo, Jack Harrison, Shaun McGurk and Amari Miller.

He will initially link up with Mark Jackson’s Under-23s for the forthcoming season.
1964white

Re: Lewis Bate

Post by 1964white »

:scarfe2: Welcome Lewis :scar1
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Really pleased about this! Along with Gelhardt, Bate is one of the best young English talents around and no doubt in my mind, both will play for England, hopefully while wearing Leeds shirts.

I expect it will be similar to Poveda in that he'll start in u23s, but will be on bench and get some game time.

Little surprised at the contract length though. Seems a bit short.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Looks a real talent does Master Bate ;-)

Orta and co have done amazingly well to secure his services.

Makes you wonder what the long term plan is at Chelsea? :duno:

Flogging off young English talent for a few squid and lashing out hundreds of millions on Werner, Havertz, et al :?

Some of these clubs like Citeh and Chelsea just seem to have too much money and don't know how to manage it, or their squads.

Which is all the better for us :)
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:03 pm Looks a real talent does Master Bate ;-)
I guess somebody had to say it.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Readying the U23s for battle in the world's top youth league. Our academy is back where it belongs.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I guess Chelsea management figure they can simply buy proven talent, whatever the cost, and can let their youngsters go.

Good for us.

Welcome, Lewis! We're thrilled to have you.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Everything I've heard of this young chap suggests we've got a future worldie on our hands. Of course it can all go wrong but no one can doubt our ambition and draw in securing top young talent.
Last edited by Lumiukko on Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:15 pm I guess somebody had to say it.
Exactly, hopefully it doesn't prove to be appropriate.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:17 pm Everything I've heard of this young chap suggests we've got a future worldie on our hands. Of course it can all go wrong but no one can doubt our ambition and draw in securing top talent.
Maybe this is the way to go?

Otherwise you're forking out a fortune for the likes of Maguire, Pogba, Werner, Havertz, etc, with no guarantee that they will mesh with the team or club.

It can bring instant success, but it can als leave you with a long term, disruptive and financially draining turkey on your books.

There's risk involved with any approach to transfers, look at the Blunts with McBonehead and the guy from Liverpool whose been such a hit I can't even remember his name.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We'll be known as the Innuendos
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

faaip wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:09 pm We'll be known as the Innuendos
Amusing 🤣🤣
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

White Riot wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:03 pm
Makes you wonder what the long term plan is at Chelsea? :duno:

Flogging off young English talent for a few squid and lashing out hundreds of millions on Werner, Havertz, et al :?

I think Chelsea wanted to keep hold off him but he wanted to leave. Hard to break into the first team at any club but as we have the Bielsa factor young players can see how he has improved players and want to come to us.
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

Watched a clip on his skills, very impressing, looked very pacy. Just wish he can work on his right foot as well.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lewis is quick, can go past players with ease & is a superb passer of the ball

1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Spoke to a Chelski supporting friend once the move was confirmed. He said we've got ourselves a real talent. He moved because Tuchel prefers Jorginho and whilst he's let young Gilmour go out on loan, he'll be back and Lewis would have been third in the pecking order. Says he's ready to be a first team squad member now and he'll get to grips with Bielsaball quickly as he has a good football brain. On the back of that report, I'm looking forward to seeing what this young lad can do.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

lufc1304 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 am Spoke to a Chelski supporting friend once the move was confirmed. He said we've got ourselves a real talent. He moved because Tuchel prefers Jorginho and whilst he's let young Gilmour go out on loan, he'll be back and Lewis would have been third in the pecking order. Says he's ready to be a first team squad member now and he'll get to grips with Bielsaball quickly as he has a good football brain. On the back of that report, I'm looking forward to seeing what this young lad can do.
Encouraging :tup:
bobcat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by bobcat »

Will be very interesting to see how our U23s overhaul will compete with the PL2 1st division. Sounds like there's a good chance the Celtic CB youngin' (Hjelde) is a good possibility as well. Bring on the youth!
Been gone a long while, but back again
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Reminds me of Lewis Cook before his knees went.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!