Pre-season Games - Villarreal v Leeds

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Pre-season Games - Real Betis v Leeds. 12.30pm Today

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:19 pm Good work to work the position then poor execution on the shot from Tyler
Good to see some things never change
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Main thing I take from this is, Victor get a fooking number ten recruited.

Phillips is guaranteed his spot every match, if available.

Shacks is worthy of a first team spot.

Klich looked ok.

Firpo looked ok going forward, but we still look vulnerable at left back
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Still looking very rusty this pre season.

Passing is off, defensively all over the shop, poor in cm, its not great and Meslier making absolute howlers.

Personally i have serious doubts about our squad, i understand last season was great but we wouldnt be the first side to overachieve after promotion and then seriously regress to type.

Quality in the first 18 is lacking and stand by my original belief that anything less than 4 first 11 players would be a poor window, very concerned.
Last edited by Cjay on Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

One, more likely two midfielders required IMO. Don't need anything anywhere else.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Not great.

Two main CB's injured.

Messy performance

A welcome return to European football
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:20 pm We have no depth at all.

We also never seem to do any more than replace departed players, no urge to create any depth.

Still think we have to be really careful, taking MB for granted, he has worked wonders before for us, so had Chris Wilder for Blunts.

If you stand still at this level you pay for it, at this moment this summer we are standing still.

I dont understand when our fans say " oh you cant replace Klich, Dallas, Ayling, Harrison etc", Surely you should always look to improve your 1st 11?
Fully agree Cjay.

Without KP our midfield is a gaping hole. We need a 10 and have done since Saiz departed.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:25 pm Shacks is worthy of a first team spot.
:love:

Been saying that for ages. Willing to see though however if Bielsa will drop one of his favourites.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:27 pm Still looking very rusty this pre season.

Passing is off, defensively all over the shop, poor in cm, its not great and Meslier making absolute howlers.

Personally i have serious doubts about our squad, i understand last season was great but we wouldnt be the first side to overachieve after promotion and then seriously regress to type.

Quality in the first 18 is lacking and stand by my original belief that anything less than 4 first 11 players would be a poor window, very concerned.
We can't keep relying on average Championship players forever. They are already playing well above their natural levels. We need more technical and intelligent players imo.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:27 pm Still looking very rusty this pre season.

Still a month to go in the summer window Cjay.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:23 pm Good to see some things never change
Right idea though and he produced some of the best touches throughout the second half, all of which got wasted

Meslier - 6 - an error for the winner aside looks like he needs more playing time
Ayling - 6 - The positional change early didn't help
Llorente - 6 - Fingers crossed for the injury, beaten a bit easily for the first
Struijk - 7 - Good enough game again fingers crossed
Firpo - 7 - Great assist
Koch - 7 - Good game but to blame for the first, very good on the ball and good passing vision. He'll get there if that's what MB wants as a DMF.
Dallas - 6 - Rusty, not his usual self.
Rodrigo - 6 - Not a 10 yet for me
Raphinha - 8 - Great first half, frustrating second
Harrison - 7 - Not much to say, typical but not vintage Jack
Bamford - 7 - Nice finish

Klich - 9 - Best player on the park imo
Roberts - 7 - Some nice touches, strong on the ball
Costa - 7 - LW is his best position, he'd usually bury that chance even if he was offside
Shackleton - 8 - Faded but he can't be far behind Luke now, Luke can't afford any missed time or he may not get back in
Greenwood - 6 - No time but I liked the movement ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:28 pm :love:

Been saying that for ages. Willing to see though however if Bielsa will drop one of his favourites.
If Shacks is not gonna get a look in we might as well send him out on loan.

We desperately need a playmaker.

Also, Costa n Roberts can go for me and get another winger in.
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

Costa and Roberts can go for me as well if we're needing to sell to bring quality in.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 pm We can't keep relying on average Championship players forever. They are already playing well above their natural levels. We need more technical and intelligent players imo.
Yes, once those players have reached their potential you're then standing still and we can't afford to do that.

Angus Kinnear was talking about quality recruits, so let's have them and get the quality of our first team squad improved.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 pm We can't keep relying on average Championship players forever. They are already playing well above their natural levels. We need more technical and intelligent players imo.
I agree.

I mean this in no disrespect but everyone talks about what a great job BIelsa has done (and he has), but he hasnt made players more technically gifted or talented, nobody can do that including Bielsa.

What he has done is used a system that helps hide those deficiencies and concentrates on the things he can control.

Fitness, muscle memory, repetition in play, its a master class in coaching and getting the best out of people and the players deserve immense credit for it.

But Bielsa hasnt made them more talented, i think we have to be really careful because its very possible that if and when Bielsa goes then some members of this squad will be exposed in a different system in the same way a lot of them were before BIelsa arrived.

We need to bring in more talent to match the league we re in, cant keep relying on fitness and excellant coaching because Bielsa will leave eventually.
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

MightyWhites wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:38 pm Costa and Roberts can go for me as well if we're needing to sell to bring quality in.
Trouble is for them two you're only got get a Curly Wurly and a packet of Cheesy Wotsits :(
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:29 pm Still a month to go in the summer window Cjay.
I know but its stilla worry imo, we kick off in 2 weeks, we are miles off it atm.
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:39 pm I agree.

I mean this in no disrespect but everyone talks about what a great job BIelsa has done (and he has), but he hasnt made players more technically gifted or talented, nobody can do that including Bielsa.

What he has done is used a system that helps hide those deficiencies and concentrates on the things he can control.

Fitness, muscle memory, repetition in play, its a master class in coaching and getting the best out of people and the players deserve immense credit for it.

But Bielsa hasnt made them more talented, i think we have to be really careful because its very possible that if and when Bielsa goes then some members of this squad will be exposed in a different system in the same way a lot of them were before BIelsa arrived.

We need to bring in more talent to match the league we re in, cant keep relying on fitness and excellant coaching because Bielsa will leave eventually.
Excellent thoughtful post Cjay :clap:

💯% agree
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

We have to remember that these players are in a phase where they are doing three physical sessions a day, including murder-ball no doubt. So difficult to judge where they are until the first Premiership game.
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

I am realtively new here and don’t want to be rude, but I see either knee jerk reactios or people have been caught sleeping.

We definatley need at least 2-3 additional PL quality players, no doubt about that. Gallagher was one of them so I don’t understand while people were saying he wont get much play time in Leeds, why not? He is a quality player. Even a loan for this season would have been great. Pity he wanted to stay in London.

Secondly some of our players are still rusty. They will play better the closer we come to Man U game. Already looking forward to Ajax game. We need to calm down and trust MB and Orta.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:40 pm Trouble is for them two you're only got get a Curly Wurly and a packet of Cheesy Wotsits :(
Which one is which? Cos I do like a Curly Wurly but I’m not too keen on Cheesy Wotsits.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.