The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th July) - Anxiety over lack of transfer activity at Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th July) - Anxiety over lack of transfer activity at Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 27th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds fans growing anxious

With just over two weeks until Leeds kick off their new season, and rivalry at Old Trafford, many Leeds fans are becoming anxious that the club have not been more active in the transfer market.

Mark Jackson will have no complaints though. Victor Orta have been busy selecting 'the cream of the crop' as they face the elite within their respective age groups. First team activity has been slow though. Whilst they have fulfilled their main objective by bringing in a quality left back to replace Alioski, (and nobody is going to whinge about Firpo) activity remains low, even though speculation continuous to be rife

Whilst the club are excited about landing Norwegian U21 shot stopper Kristoffer Klaesson, he is unlikely to have any impact on the forthcoming season, with Meslier in the form he is in! Conor Gallagher would be another underwhelming signing according to most Whites on social media. Parent club Chelsea have made it clear that they have no intention of a permanent switch, leaving fans wondering why bother develop another Ben White?

Roberts - We've got to push for some European spaces

In a recent interview on LUTV, Tyler Roberts has revealed that he and his fellow team mates have ambitions about pushing on this forthcoming season, for European places.

All of the boys will agree we've got to push for some European spaces. I don't think we're ever going to be a type of team that looks back and says 'we did well to get where we were, but will this season be a bit different?' "We just look up and push for better than we're doing.”

It was good to get that experience of the Euros and to be in the environment, but I am back now and ready to go again. The magnitude of the tournament, you know how big the Euros are and the World Cup, but until you go and you’re part of it, it’s a whole different level.

I realised when I was there the whole talk around Wales, England, everything was the Euros and I was actually there. It was a crazy experience and one I was blessed to be a part of.

Do Leeds have the squad to push for a European place?

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th July) - Anxiety over lack of transfer activity at Elland Road

Post by HarryofOz »

With just over two weeks until Leeds kick off their new season, and rivalry at Old Trafford, many Leeds fans are becoming anxious that the club have not been more active in the transfer market.
Not me
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th July) - Anxiety over lack of transfer activity at Elland Road

Post by Scoobychief »

yeah up to now definately disappointing, considering the rumours were we getting 5 new players for new campaign and only a left back has come in to replace a departing left back. we know we need a creative midfielder which is a must and hoping one will come in very soon would also like to see us sign a striker that can put pressure on bamford, talks of lacazette could only cost 15m could do with someone like that anyway hoping they all get signed up like 1 bus after another soon.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Not too bothered about the lack of transfer activity although of course would have been nice to add a couple more quality players.

Still think last seasons squad are capable of more for two reasons -
1. There is a lot more to come from Last seasons 4 big signings.
2. We won't have all our CB's out at the same time (cost us 2 or 3 positions in my opinion).

Add to that -
Expect at least one of our younger players to break through.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

IMO we still need 2 more quality signings to really push on for a top 6 or maybe even a top 4?
Is that going to happen?- probably not -we know that MB prefers a small squad, and the current squad is good enough for a top 6 IF we stay injury free, but competition for places can only be a good thing especially if one or two players lose form (which most players do at some stage of the season). At the moment every player has to be at the very top of their game and one or two need to be performing above expectations for us to really trouble the top 6.
It's all about managing expectations I guess- we had such a good last season that it is almost expected that we do better this season with some expecting a top 6 finish. It will be extremely difficult to do this without another couple of quality additions especially with the pressure on Paddy to carry on where he left off last year- can he handle that sort of pressure?
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I think part of the problem was VO making a statement that he intended to have all the transfer business concluded by the end of June. That raised fans expectation. I have little doubt that this transfer window is proving very difficult and was not helped by Villa paying 40 mil for Buendia. Other clubs will use that payment as a yardstick for negotiation.

Whilst I suspect most of our intended senior player business was probably going to involve players based on the continent negotiations to get the right player at the right price were always likely to be protracted as agents and clubs try to secure the best deal possible. The transfer window has in reality just ticked along with just a few relatively high profile moves. I have no doubt there will be more to come as the real horse trading starts.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Scoobychief wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:26 am talks of lacazette could only cost 15m could do with someone like that
Plus 10 mill a year salary.

No. He's a little in the pampered Prima Donna bracket, had issues with Winger, Emery and Arteta. Now if he was to display a different side, take a huge pay cut etc. maybe...
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

DDB is absolutely right, Victor Orta made the statement and as yet we only have one first team signing.
I hope he isn't including Miller, Bate and McGurk in that statement as I doubt any of those will see first team action this season, apart from possibly cup games.
All we can hope is that negotiations are still going on with intended targets and announcements will be made soon.
It's definitely going to be last season's team plus Firpo that start at OT though.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Not even halfway through the window yet and we've filled our highest priority position. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to flap.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

As others have said, i think VO was daft to say publicly he wanted transfers in before July/ beginning of pre season.

We know that anyway as we know thats what Bielsa wants, but it literally never happens and hasnt since he was here.

However for Orta to say it publicly wasnt smart.

Personally unfortunately i think we will have to manage expectations, i dont think this will be the Top 6 transfer window push we all hoped for.

That being said more i see of this young Scandinavian midfielder the more i like , looks a real prospect.

Hope we sack Conor sodding Gallagher off and sign him.

Also go for Ryan Kent, know some may be underwhelmed but he gave Real Madrid a right run around in Rangers friendly win and won rave reviews even in Spain.

Theiris a lot of talent in him imo just waiting for Bielsa to help him release it all.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Well Llorente and Raphinha didn't join until late in the last window, Raphinha really cut it close. I remember panicking about another Dan James.

But as I said before, not many clubs have signed anyone or spent big (except scum, but that's 'cause they're desperate). The pandemic and loss of income is having an effect on everyone.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Still lots of time before the window closes. Pretty sure that VO said he hoped to get the targets in before pre-season training started. I think that the targets are currently overpriced. No panic in this household.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I do not consider our current transfer business as disappointing. The LB position was a pressing priority and that has been sorted to a large degree.

Midfield from an offensive perspective, even in the absence of a new major signing still has plenty to be positive about.

We haven’t seen the best from Rodrigo or Robert’s and both have plenty of room for improvement. For Rodrigo getting a full injury free pre-season will be huge, he is a top quality player who will have undergone the transitional period. I recall Drogba getting slated during his first season. For some players it takes time to adjust.
Robert’s has all the makings of a quality player and his involvement at the Euro’s will have brought his confidence on, I think he will surprise a few people with his progress this year.
Similarly Shacks and Poveda will have progressed and could feature a lot more. Gelhardt will be one of perhaps 2/3 breakthrough players this season. I also like the kid they signed from Chelsea, he oozes confidence and intelligence on the ball and could stake his claim for involvement if he impresses in the pre-season friendlies.

Whilst a big name signing in midfield would be great I am more excited to see the progression of what we have - far more satisfying from my perspective. Everton brought in loads of suggested quality last season and it did not really work even with a top class manager at the helm.

Least we forget we (fans) will be back at ER this season and that will make a massive difference.

I cannot f*8King wait.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:52 am I do not consider our current transfer business as disappointing. The LB position was a pressing priority and that has been sorted to a large degree.

Midfield from an offensive perspective, even in the absence of a new major signing still has plenty to be positive about.

We haven’t seen the best from Rodrigo or Robert’s and both have plenty of room for improvement. For Rodrigo getting a full injury free pre-season will be huge, he is a top quality player who will have undergone the transitional period. I recall Drogba getting slated during his first season. For some players it takes time to adjust.
Robert’s has all the makings of a quality player and his involvement at the Euro’s will have brought his confidence on, I think he will surprise a few people with his progress this year.
Similarly Shacks and Poveda will have progressed and could feature a lot more. Gelhardt will be one of perhaps 2/3 breakthrough players this season. I also like the kid they signed from Chelsea, he oozes confidence and intelligence on the ball and could stake his claim for involvement if he impresses in the pre-season friendlies.

Whilst a big name signing in midfield would be great I am more excited to see the progression of what we have - far more satisfying from my perspective. Everton brought in loads of suggested quality last season and it did not really work even with a top class manager at the helm.

Least we forget we (fans) will be back at ER this season and that will make a massive difference.

I cannot f*8King wait.
Well said mate.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

I have trust in the existing squad but we will continue to have this second season syndrome label thrown at us as we have not significantly added to the first team squad and to the lazy journalist our league position last year and the lack of additions in the summer gives a passing resemblance to what happened at sheff united prior to last season. we have enough to be mid table, though I do worry if Philips gets an injury we dont really have a decent replacement - Koch, llorente etc for me are not adequate replacements and you can see that in the points we accumulated without Kalvin in the team last season.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

If Bielsa is ok about our squad then so am I

Still feel another CM would be handy though :P
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I honestly do not see the any problem, I am sure there will be at least one more signing. Last year, injuries early in the season is what hampered us the first 20 games, this year we will be starting with a fit squad (fingers crossed)...We have filled the L(W)B slot...And I see at least one of the U23's breaking through...
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Not panicking at all but we do need competition for places to stop complacent setting in.
Who is going to push Paddy if he has a dip in form? Signing U23's is all well and good for the future but we know they won't get a start in the PL next season. We can hope that of the current crop of U23's that one or two may break into the first team a la Strujjk last term, but that is a double edged sword as it would mean we would have injuries in the first team.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:17 pm Not panicking at all but we do need competition for places to stop complacent setting in.
Who is going to push Paddy if he has a dip in form? Signing U23's is all well and good for the future but we know they won't get a start in the PL next season. We can hope that of the current crop of U23's that one or two may break into the first team a la Strujjk last term, but that is a double edged sword as it would mean we would have injuries in the first team.
Rodrigo is certainly good enough to push Paddy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:46 am Not even halfway through the window yet and we've filled our highest priority position. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to flap.
Saying that, Victor Orta said he wanted to get signings concluding a month ago!!

We are now a few days away from Augustin, and the season starts in just over two weeks!!!!

Don't panic MB :shock: