The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th July) - Anxiety over lack of transfer activity at Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th July) - Anxiety over lack of transfer activity at Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

Swansea City have held talks with Jody Morris about becoming their next head coach, with the ex-Chelsea man already sounding out players to follow him to South Wales, Football League World understands.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th July) - Anxiety over lack of transfer activity at Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

John Terry has left Aston Villa!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:52 am I do not consider our current transfer business as disappointing. The LB position was a pressing priority and that has been sorted to a large degree.

Midfield from an offensive perspective, even in the absence of a new major signing still has plenty to be positive about.

We haven’t seen the best from Rodrigo or Robert’s and both have plenty of room for improvement. For Rodrigo getting a full injury free pre-season will be huge, he is a top quality player who will have undergone the transitional period. I recall Drogba getting slated during his first season. For some players it takes time to adjust.
Robert’s has all the makings of a quality player and his involvement at the Euro’s will have brought his confidence on, I think he will surprise a few people with his progress this year.
Similarly Shacks and Poveda will have progressed and could feature a lot more. Gelhardt will be one of perhaps 2/3 breakthrough players this season. I also like the kid they signed from Chelsea, he oozes confidence and intelligence on the ball and could stake his claim for involvement if he impresses in the pre-season friendlies.

Whilst a big name signing in midfield would be great I am more excited to see the progression of what we have - far more satisfying from my perspective. Everton brought in loads of suggested quality last season and it did not really work even with a top class manager at the helm.

Least we forget we (fans) will be back at ER this season and that will make a massive difference.

I cannot f*8King wait.
:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I'm not at all worried.

I think (hope?) that the reason we haven't brought in an attacking midfielder is that perhaps Rodrigo has made progress in filling that role.

If we've improved as much from the end of last year to the start of this as we did from the start of last season to the end, we're going to bereally good. I don't think that's too much of a stretch.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:34 pm I think (hope?) that the reason we haven't brought in an attacking midfielder is that perhaps Rodrigo has made progress in filling that role.
Thats what I have been saying John ...pretty sure it was MB's intention all along... Him and Paddy what a strike force... :fire:
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:28 pm Rodrigo is certainly good enough to push Paddy
No doubt he's good enough (technically better imo), but by his own admission he's not really a striker ( only played striker a handful of occasions in his time at Valencia) That's not to say MB can't get the best out of him in that position. He showed signs of being a decent goalscorer at the end of last season. I think one of the key factors next season that will determine our success will be the development of Rodrigo following a decent pre season and hopefully a injury/covid free 21/22. If he can get a dozen or so goals then I reckon we will be there or there abouts challenging for a European spot.
At least we got the main business of a new left back sorted which was obviously a priority so I'm fairly happy!
Would love to see another quality striker on the books though, to give us that push we need to finish top 6 and maybe even challenge for top 4.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:50 pm No doubt he's good enough (technically better imo), but by his own admission he's not really a striker ( only played striker a handful of occasions in his time at Valencia) That's not to say MB can't get the best out of him in that position. He showed signs of being a decent goalscorer at the end of last season. I think one of the key factors next season that will determine our success will be the development of Rodrigo following a decent pre season and hopefully a injury/covid free 21/22. If he can get a dozen or so goals then I reckon we will be there or there abouts challenging for a European spot.
At least we got the main business of a new left back sorted which was obviously a priority so I'm fairly happy!
Would love to see another quality striker on the books though, to give us that push we need to finish top 6 and maybe even challenge for top 4.
Neither is Bamford tbf, he's also not an attacking mid. What he is is a false 9 in MB's system and a great finisher. He gets first crack if Paddy goes down for me which would mean any striker we buy becomes the third choice and I'm not sure many would come for that unless young and then we get the not ready for the first team criticism here
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We added Firpo at a key position, we probably need a second LB added too as behind Firpo there's very little if we don't want to play Dallas there again. Not sure where we stand with Huggins and Davis

Keeper is supposed to be arriving

Bate is one of the best kids in English football right now and a massive coup

That's three so far into a squad that needed only a left wing back where competition is strong for all places bar the wing backs. We're set at keeper imo, set central defence, set on the wings and very close to being set central midfield.. I think there's a fair chance we add a midfielder but it's not necessary this season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:03 pm We added Firpo at a key position, we probably need a second LB added too as behind Firpo there's very little if we don't want to play Dallas there again. Not sure where we stand with Huggins and Davis

Keeper is supposed to be arriving

Bate is one of the best kids in English football right now and a massive coup

That's three so far into a squad that needed only a left wing back where competition is strong for all places bar the wing backs. We're set at keeper imo, set central defence, set on the wings and very close to being set central midfield.. I think there's a fair chance we add a midfielder but it's not necessary this season
Looks like Davis is going on loan at Bournemouth after all.

Huggins wants to stay and fight for his place. He only signed a 3 yr deal last December.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:33 pm John Terry has left Aston Villa!
Probably going straight into the first managers job in the Championship when someone inevitably gets sacked before Christmas.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:30 pm Saying that, Victor Orta said he wanted to get signings concluding a month ago!!

We are now a few days away from Augustin, and the season starts in just over two weeks!!!!

Don't panic MB :shock:
I don't think it was meant to be taken literally that we would have every single one of our signings done instantly, it's not within his power realistically. He did however complete the signing of Firpo, our 100% must-have, in short order and that was the priority. Let's not forget that we have our squad (minus Alioski) who got us to 9th in our first season back. I think they'll be able to cope while we get any latecomers up to speed.

It's highly doubtful anyone new besides Firpo would be starting from the first game anyway.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:13 pm Probably going straight into the first managers job in the Championship when someone inevitably gets sacked before Christmas.
But why not wait?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You have to take Victor with a pinch of salt, his enthusiasm for LUFC sometimes gets the better of him .. But I like that about him, he's not perfect but no one doing his job at other clubs is either.. He is Leeds though now.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 pm Neither is Bamford tbf, he's also not an attacking mid. What he is is a false 9 in MB's system and a great finisher. He gets first crack if Paddy goes down for me which would mean any striker we buy becomes the third choice and I'm not sure many would come for that unless young and then we get the not ready for the first team criticism here
Bamford's not really a striker?
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I am going to have a little whinge about Firpo. We haven't seen him play live yet. 8-)

Both full backs could do with some cover tbh. Llorente may be able to cover there?

Is the squad good enough for European football.

Still alittle short for me. I still have doubts about the CM and the big holes we tend to leave in there when we are obsessed down the wings. Still time for another couple of players tho.
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

faaip wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 pm Neither is Bamford tbf, he's also not an attacking mid. What he is is a false 9 in MB's system and a great finisher. He gets first crack if Paddy goes down for me which would mean any striker we buy becomes the third choice and I'm not sure many would come for that unless young and then we get the not ready for the first team criticism here
If as you say Bamford isn't a striker then that must surely strengthen the case to get one in this transfer window, though I suspect your comment was made somewhat tongue in cheek! :)
There would be no criticism from me if MB decided to try out one of the kids from time to time - Gelhardt deserves a chance next season and looks like he could be a handful for some of the less experienced PL defences.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:33 pm John Terry has left Aston Villa!
Just a pity he hasn't kept going and left the country.
Cannot stand the bloke.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

My point being if Rodrigo isn't a striker then he neither is Paddy, Rodrigo clearly not an attacking mid, might be a winger but more likely a false 9 which is basically a striker or forward ...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 pm I don't think it was meant to be taken literally that we would have every single one of our signings done instantly, it's not within his power realistically. He did however complete the signing of Firpo, our 100% must-have, in short order and that was the priority. Let's not forget that we have our squad (minus Alioski) who got us to 9th in our first season back. I think they'll be able to cope while we get any latecomers up to speed.

It's highly doubtful anyone new besides Firpo would be starting from the first game anyway.
Totally agree, and lets remember we didn't get to use the services of Llorente until February but from a couple of cameo appearances.

Koch too had his injury problems, which is the reason why Struijk was given his chance.

Replacing Alioski with Firpo, and if we can keep Llorente, Koch and the fantastic Liam Cooper fit, we are going to be difficult to break down!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Did anyone else think when we played the likes of Liverpool or Man U, we gave them a little too much respect?