The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 29th July) - Stalemate at Ewood Park

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 29th July) - Stalemate at Ewood Park

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 29th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Stalemate at Ewood Park

Leeds came from behind to grab a share of the spoils at Ewood Park last night as Bielsa's Whites kicked off their pre season campaign in front of 5000 travelling fans.

As to be expected, Leeds controlled large periods of the game; the stats were firmly in favour of the Premiership team, but it was Blackburn who broke the deadlock first. A clumsy tackle from makeshift centre forward Costa game the Lancashire team a free kick 25 yards from goal. McBride's strike 18 minutes from time took a lucky deflection; Meslier could only watch as the ball looped over him and nestled in the far corner.

Leeds were not to be denied. Nine minutes later Harrison found Struijk in space in the box, and hammered the ball through a hoard of players to level the scoring. It's fair to say Leeds looked a little rusty, especially with their wayward passing, but lets be fair. It's their first competitive game since they hammered West Brom on the final day of last season, late in May!

Talking points

Llorente's first half tackle to deny Rovers a one on one with Meslier
Unfair or justified criticism of Costa
How was Firpo's debut
Rodrigo not a No.10

Gallagher turns down Whites

Conor Gallagher has rejected a loan deal to West Yorkshire, opting instead to stay in London and join Crystal Palace. Leeds had already agreed terms with Chelsea, and had given the youngster a tour of Thorp Arch, but whether he was concerned about the amount of game time he would get, or wanting to stay in the Capital, the 21yo has decided against joining the Whites. The England Under-21 international scored twice in 32 appearances for the Baggies last season.

Footballers to be restricted on heading the ball in training sessions

Bosses of English football have recommended a new set of guidelines for heading the ball, giving the emphasis on restricting the number of 'higher force' headers players make in practice sessions in order to reduce long term injury, including dementia! Professional players should be limited to a maximum of 10 “higher-force” headers in any training week. Higher-force headers are defined as any that follow a pass of more than 35 metres or corners, crosses, goal kicks and free kicks. Amateur players should limit heading practice to 10 headers per session, once a week. FA chief executive Mark Bullingham commented:-

We already have the most comprehensive guidelines in the world for youth football and now we are introducing, in partnership with the other football bodies, the most comprehensive adult football guidelines anywhere,

Premier League, Richard Masters, explains:
This is a long-term piece of work - we will now build on these studies and we remain committed to further research to ensure we have the right approach in place to protect the welfare of all players.

Thoughts?

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 29th July) - Stalemate at Ewood Park

Post by Chilli D »

I didn't see last night's game so can't comment on that. Not at all concerned about the result or performance though, its all about getting ready for Manure in a couple of weeks.
Any word on why Bamford, Cooper and Poveda weren't included?

Gallagher has chosen Palace and you can understand why as he is likely to be a regular starter for them whereas not so for us.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Good news, we won't be developing players for Chelski! He rejected us before anyway, so why go back in for him?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Evening folks,

I think it was in a pre season two seasons back that Costa started as CF then. Perhaps it is one of MBs mad plans.

I was underwhelmed by the prospect of Gallagher so all is good.

The more I think about it the more I am hopeful of a Gelhardt / Greenwood breakthrough this season.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Rodrigo seems positive enough but must be a bit annoyed not to start upfront, just a really random decision to start Costa in the position.

Not bothered to miss out on Gallagher but would still expect players to prefer Leeds to palace. Need more cm’s in though both defensive and attacking, bit of a concern this hasn’t happened yet. Seem happy to expect forwards or defenders to cover which dosnt work.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Llorente's first half tackle to deny Rovers a one on one with Meslier

Brilliant tackle, we'd have conceded from that through ball without Llorente last season.

Unfair or justified criticism of Costa

Costa is Costa, he's certainly not a No.9, unsure what he is tbh.

How was Firpo's debut

Grew in confidence & improved as the game went on.

Rodrigo not a No.10

Personally think Rodders is a striker but you never know with the great man coaching him.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Only managed to watch the first half last night so can only comment on that, but all I will say is there was a time around 35 mins where we were banging the ball around their box at about 200mph. It looked terrifying to defend against and I see that particular passage as being what Bielsa's football will look like all the time when our squad is as good as it can be.

Enjoyed it despite the unlucky result and haven't looked forward to a season this much since the late 90s.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:45 am Evening folks,

I think it was in a pre season two seasons back that Costa started as CF then. Perhaps it is one of MBs mad plans.

I was underwhelmed by the prospect of Gallagher so all is good.

The more I think about it the more I am hopeful of a Gelhardt / Greenwood breakthrough this season.
Unless Paddy gets injured I don't think we'll see much of young Joe but Greenwood I think will make it into a few games. Just seems to be his trajectory recently, coupled with our relative lightness in CMF. Maybe that's why we haven't rushed into getting in a midfielder so far, who knows.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Afternoon EB et all

Managed to watch most of the game last night and now I know where the little buggers hide it on IPTV I'll be watching the remaining preseason games :)

I feel it was a good pre-season game, Blackburn players gave it a good go and it definitely wasn't a poor game and most of the players got a decent run out, which helps with match fitness.

Firpo IMO a really good first game, lots of energy and started to link up well with Jackie
Big Rod looked good and plenty of running in him, still think he's a striker rather than a 10
Felt Shack had an excellent game
Costa isn't a 9 or 10 and I'm starting to think he's not a winger either

MOTM for me was Jackie, his first touch especially from some of those cross field pings was smoother than Lurpak on toast and his crossing must have give the Blackburn defence nightmares and are the stuff strikers have wet dreams about ;-)

Gallagher was a bit of a liability for WBA last season picking up 11 yellows so more than happy for him to head to Palace and help them get relegated as well
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:39 pm Only managed to watch the first half last night so can only comment on that, but all I will say is there was a time around 35 mins where we were banging the ball around their box at about 200mph. It looked terrifying to defend against and I see that particular passage as being what Bielsa's football will look like all the time when our squad is as good as it can be.

Enjoyed it despite the unlucky result and haven't looked forward to a season this much since the late 90s.
:tup:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:58 pm Afternoon EB et all

Managed to watch most of the game last night and now I know where the little buggers hide it on IPTV I'll be watching the remaining preseason games :)

I feel it was a good pre-season game, Blackburn players gave it a good go and it definitely wasn't a poor game and most of the players got a decent run out, which helps with match fitness.

Firpo IMO a really good first game, lots of energy and started to link up well with Jackie
Big Rod looked good and plenty of running in him, still think he's a striker rather than a 10
Felt Shack had an excellent game

MOTM for me was Jackie, his first touch especially from some of those cross field pings was smoother than Lurpak on toast and his crossing must have give the Blackburn defence nightmares and are the stuff strikers have wet dreams about ;-)

Gallagher was a bit of a liability for WBA last season picking up 11 yellows so more than happy for him to head to Palace and help them get relegated as well
Shack looked completely comfortable at RB, was strong, quick and dangerous. I think he's better at full back than CM honestly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jack's first touch gives me tingly feelings in my pants.
hector

Post by hector »

mothbanquet wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:50 pm Shack looked completely comfortable at RB, was strong, quick and dangerous. I think he's better at full back than CM honestly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jack's first touch gives me tingly feelings in my pants.
That is just your boxers being too tight ya numpty..... :) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:58 pm Felt Shack had an excellent game
I was going to say last night that Costa didn't look like a striker or a winger but I didn't want to appear negative after only our first pre-season game. He frustrates the hell out of me, and if he goes I'll live with the consequences.

MOTM for me was between Jack and Jamie Shack. Struijk, Llorente, Firpo, Klich, Raphinia - all excellent too.

Rodders worries me - clearly quality, but so far inconsistent at Leeds, not least because of interruptions due to illness and injury. And what is his position? Here's hoping he comes good, he looks like a great lad and we can't afford any more expensive passengers.

I'm also not disappointed that Conor Gallagher has gone to Palace, I didn't want him on a loan deal with no option to buy. Marcelo valued him apparently, and if it had happened I'd have cheered him like the rest, but it suits me the way things have turned out.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

hector wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:14 pm That is just your boxers being too tight ya numpty..... :) :)
Maybe it's both. :)