The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 2nd August) - Duncan Castles reports Adama Traore snubs Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 2nd August) - Duncan Castles reports Adama Traore snubs Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 2nd August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Traore turns down Leeds

Sunday Times and Daily Record sports journalist Duncan Castles has revealed that Wolves powerhouse Adama Traore has snubbed a move to Elland Road following a £30m offer from the Whites. Sources claim that the 25 year old rejected the offer as he was it as a sideways move! Victor Orta is a long term admirer of Traore. He once describing him as the 'most exciting prospect now in Spain' during his (Traore) time with Barcelona. Orta signed Traore from Villa back in 2016 when Director of football with Middlesbrough. Castles said...

The offer I’m told Wolves had proposed to them by another Premier League club was from Leeds United. They were prepared to pay an initial £30m for Adama Traore who is a player who is well known to the director of football Victor Orta, who signed him from Aston Villa when he was in charge of Middlesbrough a few years back.

My guidance is that Adama is not interested in moving there [Leeds United] and, rather than making a sideways move in the Premier League, he wants to move to a club with Champions League or a very realistic chance of reaching the Champions League soon. He is under contract until 2023. We’ve been stating for months now on this podcast that he has been effectively placed on the market by Wolves. “He is one of the players they feel they can raise significant cash from in this window in order to reinvest in the team.

My guidance on this was Wolves were interested in this offer. We’re getting a sense of how much they’d be willing to sell the player for. They’re in a difficult position because they need to do a deal in this window to maximise income on the player. They’ve had talks about extending his contract which haven’t gone very far. The offers they made to Adama weren’t anywhere near what he’d consider a realistic offer to stay at Wolves. “So I think they’ll be pushing to try and get a deal elsewhere.

Pay a little bit of attention to what Tottenham do in that area of the field. Nuno Espirito Santo was impressed and enjoyed working with him. I don’t think he’d be against working with him again if the opportunity was to arise. Tottenham have the potential to take a lot of income in this transfer window. They’re trying to do a radical change of their squad in this transfer window.

Having registered two goals and three assists last season, have Leeds had a lucky escape?

Doig on the move, destination unknown

North of the border, speculation is mounting regarding Hibs starlet Josh Doig. The news comes after the 19 year old was left out of their squad that won at Motherwell yesterday prompting speculation that their prized asset was on the move! Various reports suggest that both Arsenal and Leeds have agreed to meet Hibs asking price of 5m, whilst many others have been credited with taking an interest in the central defender.

Disappointing pre season continuous

Successive losses against Fleetwood Town and Real Betis over the weekend had many Leeds fans on social media questioning the teams readiness when they face Manchester Utd at Old Trafford in less than a fortnight. To make matters worse, injuries to Llorente, Struijk and a covid related lay off for Cooper will only hamper their preparations to wipe the slate clean against Ajax on Wednesday evening, in their final game before the seasons opener.

Would it would be fair to say that last season Leeds gained a massive advantage over many of their rivals due to their superior fitness? Have we are seen this this during pre season (They have only had a six week break). We know these are 'only' pre season games, but they are also 'only' pre season games for our opposition!

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 2nd August) Traore snubs Leeds

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

I didn't want Traore so glad he "snubbed" Leeds.

Pre season is not about results. Almost everyone has 120 minutes in them so far which is the point.
Avoiding injuries is always a lottery and Llorente came off as a precaution while Struijkd substitution was complicated by their having already been 4 subs made. He will be fine I reckon. So only Coops and KP needing minutes now.

Prep for the big ko will be meticulous and we will be ready
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

Last thing we need is another Wolves reject so very happy that Traore has decided that Leeds aren't big enough for him!
Good luck at Palace or wherever next season mate!
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

im so glad to hear this
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Well the good news is that if the Traore news is true we have money in place to make a marquee signing.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 2nd August) - Duncan Castles reports Adama Traore snubs Leeds

Post by weasel »

I agree I feel we have the money to make 1 big signing if the right player becomes available.

A strange one the Adama rumours cos from the outside it certainly looks as if he isn't tearing up any trees at Wolves and so it seems a lot of money for someone with potential given the age he is already at. It seems a gamble more on whether Bielsa can unlock the potential and certainly not a player I would see Champions League sides rushing to buy, they go for the players who are already at the top of their game such as Grealish, Kane, Sancho etc. If you're not the star in a mid to lower Premier League side then are you really going to be getting a move to an established top 4 side?

Pre-sesason is pre-season. Results not important. All about getting match sharpness and avoiding injuries so hopefully both injuries are minor. How quickly we can go from having Cooper as 4th choice and not getting any games to suddenly looking at the prospect of Ayling having to play centreback again.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 2nd August) - Duncan Castles reports Adama Traore snubs Leeds

Post by Scoobychief »

rumours are we are interested in signing man city herrera defensive midfielder, who has never played for man city first team, sounds about right.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Thank god for that, never rated him his goals/assists ratio is atrocious. Traore always gives me the impression he's in the wrong sport, should be playing for St Helens, Wigan, etc.

Douglas was slow, Costa does my head in, haven't we learn't our lessons with signing average Wolves players.

Yes pre-season matches are not about the results but our performances have been tepid to say the least though we don't want to peak too soon.

Always concerned about winning matches when Bamford, Phillips, Llorente, Raphinha & Struijk don't start or are withdrawn.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Pre season not a problem. There have been positives to take away and one of them is to see Firpo in action. A clear upgrade from Alioski (much as I love him) ability-wise already.

I don't think there's any truth to the Traore story whatsoever. Don't need him, don't want him, move on.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Another unproven Prem player from Wolves, if it's true he's not coming here we have dodged a bullet, his stats aren't great

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2015 Barcelona B 63 (8)
2013–2015 Barcelona 1 (0)
2015–2016 Aston Villa 11 (0)
2016–2018 Middlesbrough 61 (5)
2018– Wolverhampton Wanderers 103 (7) mainly it seems from off the bench

Moved from Barc to Villa for between £7-10m, Villa to Boro for undisclosed plus player going other way and Boro to Wolves for £18m and without actually achieving anything he's now worth £30m!!
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:43 am Another unproven Prem player from Wolves, if it's true he's not coming here we have dodged a bullet, his stats aren't great

Years Team Apps (Gls)
2013–2015 Barcelona B 63 (8)
2013–2015 Barcelona 1 (0)
2015–2016 Aston Villa 11 (0)
2016–2018 Middlesbrough 61 (5)
2018– Wolverhampton Wanderers 103 (7) mainly it seems from off the bench

Moved from Barc to Villa for between £7-10m, Villa to Boro for undisclosed plus player going other way and Boro to Wolves for £18m and without actually achieving anything he's now worth £30m!!
I'm sure he's worth it in his own head.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

a) Good. Don't want Traore.

b) Josh Doig is a left back, not a centre back.

c) Ajax is not the final pre-season game. We play Villareal away bcd Sat August 7th 7pm. If you already have a LiveNow pass then this game is included.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I truly hope this is the last we hear of Traore...sideways move to Leeds indeed! that says a lot about the player himself than Leeds, he obviously expects the team he goes to too carry him and not him improve the team as it should be.

I do not worry about results in pre season...I am seeing a few variations MB is trying with the team, not just in line up but movement of the ball etc.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:04 pm I truly hope this is the last we hear of Traore...sideways move to Leeds indeed! that says a lot about the player himself than Leeds, he obviously expects the team he goes to too carry him and not him improve the team as it should be.

I do not worry about results in pre season...I am seeing a few variations MB is trying with the team, not just in line up but movement of the ball etc.
Yes Bielsa is definitely experimenting with one or two aspects of our play.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Traore is bang average, no big deal if he did turn us down. Agree that, if true, we still have money to spend should the right player be available.

Pre-season is, as others have said, about fitness and maybe trying a few tweaks here and there. Nothing to be worried about.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Traore is shite we don't need him. His agent seems desperate for some cash. Who in their right mind would even consider a £30m bid?? Its cloud cuckoo stuff. We could actually get two useful players for that.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

That's good news. Saved us from throwing ourselves to the wolves again.
I agree with him it would have been a sideways move to go to Leeds. However he's done nothing to suggest any "elite" team would be rushing to sign him.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

BTW
Does anyone miss the days when for example Leeds paid 165,000 pounds for Allan Clarke (a record at the time).
1964white

Post by 1964white »

BobHirst wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:37 pm BTW
Does anyone miss the days when for example Leeds paid 165,000 pounds for Allan Clarke (a record at the time).
I was over the moon with Clarke's signing on that day in June 1969 Bob.

Signed up early for the pre-season training/friendlies in readiness for the new campaign kicking off with a victory v Man City in the Charity Shield & then smashing Spurs 3-1 at ER with Sniffer grabbing a debut goal.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Our previous friendlies under Bielsa

Unconvincing to say the least. We'll be ready to go with all cylinders firing come the 14th August.

17/07/18 CLF Forest Green Rovers 1 - 2 Leeds United
19/07/18 CLF York City 1 - 1 Leeds United
22/07/18 CLF Southend United 1 - 1 Leeds United
24/07/18 CLF Oxford United 4 - 3 Leeds United
26/07/18 CLF Guiseley 3 - 4 Leeds United
29/07/18 CLF Leeds United 1 - 0 Las Palmas
10/07/19 CLF York City 0 - 5 Leeds United
11/07/19 CLF Guiseley 1 - 2 Leeds United
17/07/19 CLF Manchester United 4 - 0 Leeds United View events
20/07/19 CLF Western Sydney Wanderers 1 - 2 Leeds United
27/07/19 CLF Cagliari 1 - 1 Leeds United[/color]