Living in the Colonies...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Living in the Colonies...

Post by Smudge3920 »

Interesting comparisons...In Canada you can drive for 4 hours and still be in the same part of the country... In UK you drive for 2 hours and the accents have changed twice and they have different names for bread rolls... :)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: Living in the Colonies...

Post by Orange Box »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:41 pm Interesting comparisons...In Canada you can drive for 4 hours and still be in the same part of the country... In UK you drive for 2 hours and the accents have changed twice and they have different names for bread rolls... :)
You’ve been away too long Smudge. You only have to drive 2 miles for that to happen :)
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Orange Box wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:26 pm You’ve been away too long Smudge. You only have to drive 2 miles for that to happen :)
:lol:
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Or if you live in Texas you can drive for 10 hours and still be in Texas. It certainly changes your perception of distances. I remember when I used to live in Portsmouth and we rarely went to Southampton because it was a long way away (15 miles)! Of course we had to walk up hill both ways in those days.
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

Did a trip from Cape Town South Africa to Swakopmund Namibia on a football tour - did 11 hours to reach the border and 12 to reach the destination . Left on a Thursday arrived Friday late evening played football Saturday and Sunday and headed back on Monday . Went into a shop in Windhoek and the lady spoke six languages (engllish , Afrikaans , German , French and two African dialects)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BobHirst wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:34 pm Or if you live in Texas you can drive for 10 hours and still be in Texas. It certainly changes your perception of distances. I remember when I used to live in Portsmouth and we rarely went to Southampton because it was a long way away (15 miles)! Of course we had to walk up hill both ways in those days.
Reminds me of the old joke of a Texan in the UK talking to a Yorkshire farmer saying that he could get into his car 6 in the morning, drive 12 hours and still be on his land. Whereupon the farmer retorts Yes we used to have a car like that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

Reminds me of the old joke of a Texan in the UK talking to a Yorkshire farmer saying that he could get into his car 6 in the morning, drive 12 hours and still be on his land. Whereupon the farmer retorts Yes we used to have a car like that

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:41 pm Interesting comparisons...In Canada you can drive for 4 hours and still be in the same part of the country... In UK you drive for 2 hours and the accents have changed twice and they have different names for bread rolls... :)
They're heat-hardened yeast balls to me and always will be!
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:18 am They're heat-hardened yeast balls to me and always will be!
:lol: thats a new one on me ...not heard them called that before ...
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

I called in to a chippy in Leicester and asked for fish n chips with a little bit of batter
The lassie said I'll ask the manager
When she came back she said flora or lurpack....dopey cow
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

liggy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:32 pm I called in to a chippy in Leicester and asked for fish n chips with a little bit of batter
The lassie said I'll ask the manager
When she came back she said flora or lurpack....dopey cow