The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th August) Phil Hay sets the record straight on Brien and Traore

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th August) Phil Hay sets the record straight on Brien and Traore

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 4th August, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Phil Hay sets the record straight on Brien and Traore

Phil Hay has disclosed that Huddersfield midfielder Lewis O'Brien is firmly on Bielsa's radar. The news comes after the 65 year old Argentine was spotted at a pre season Yorkshire derby between Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday! The exciting 22 year old has been slapped was a £10m asking price since interest from their neighbours!

The links to Huddersfield Town’s Lewis O’Brien are true. You’ll probably have seen that Bielsa attended their game against Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday. Carlos Corberan is at Huddersfield and given how closely he worked with Bielsa for two years, he’ll be able to give a good opinion on how well O’Brien would fare at Elland Road. That’s one to keep a close eye on, although it needs some work. It hasn’t progressed towards completion so far.

The former Chief football writer for the YEP also rubbished the rumours that the Whites were interested in Wolves flop Amama Traore;

I saw the talk over the weekend of a £30 million offer for Traore, somebody Orta knows pretty well. But from what we’re hearing at The Athletic, there’s been no direct contact between Leeds and Wolves about him. And I’m far from convinced that Traore is a Bielsa player anyway. I can’t see it.

Expect to see a Llorente / Cooper partnership in defence

Rumours of Liam Cooper's absence being linked to Covid may be far off the mark after Phil Hay disclosed that the Leeds skipper had been suffering from 'a couple of knocks'. The 29 year old was also spotted on Sunday enjoying a round of golf! The good news is he should be ready to take his place in central defence a week on Sunday alongside Llorente!

Where does this leave Koch, and especially Struijk? Has Koch slipped down the pecking order? Do you think he struggled last season. According to Hay...

Plenty of you asked about Liam Cooper’s whereabouts because he’s yet to play in pre-season. He’s had a couple of knocks, we’re told, but the likelihood is that he’ll be ready for the start of the season. I’m not sure I see Bielsa deviating from the Diego Llorente-Cooper partnership in a back four, even though Pascal Struijk routinely impresses there, but Leeds aren’t short of options when everyone is fit. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the defensive record improved last season once Llorente settled in. It was unfortunate to see him pull a muscle against Betis on Saturday. Stuijk, by all accounts, suffered only minor bruising in that friendly.

Dan James, Noa Lang and Ryan Kent are realistic targets - Hay

Leeds have been linked with a host of wingers this Summer, yet many of these stories have turned out to be wide of the mark. Now, Phil Hay has put pen to paper to expose Leeds likely targets!

The door to a new winger has been left open this summer but Asensio? I’d be very surprised. The links to Dan James and Noa Lang are far more realistic, assuming Leeds take the plunge and buy another wide player. Don’t discount Ryan Kent at Rangers either. That interest goes back a long way.
Other reports suggest the Whites have lost interest in Danish winger Mikkel Damsgaard. The 21-year-old gave a great account of himself at the Euro's attracting a host of European clubs, including Aston Villa and Tottenham. Initially, the Scandinavian's price tag stood at €25m. This rose to €30, and now stands at €35. Whilst Leeds are not hunting in the bargain basement, they won't overpay for a player.

Where does this leave Helder Costa? Valencia have firm interest in the Angolan player, but will not be allowed to leave unless the Whites can bring in a replacement! Should Leeds sign another winger, should we expect Raphinha to play a more central role? Fellow Brazilian Matheus Pereira has also been tipped with a move to West Yorkshire this Summer. Yesterday he announced on twitter that he wants to leave the Hawthorns. For some reason the Baggies fans have not taken to kindly to this! West Ham are keen to him to East London, yet if the reports are true, Pereira would prefer a move to Elland Road. I guess the Bielsa / Raphinha connection is an attractive proposition!

Take your pick? James, Lang, Kent, Asensio, Damsgaard or Pereira?

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th August) Phil Hay sets the record straight on Brien and Traore

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Good morning lads and lasses hope you are well and had a great summer one and all, and are looking forward to the new season, onwards and upwards for Leeds United!

I was talking to my golfing buddy (a town fan) the other day about Lewis O’Brien and he considers him to be their star player, “a cross between Billy Bremner and Paul Scholes” was his comment - high praise indeed if perhaps a little OTT. Despite my friend being a Town fan I believe he knows what he’s talking about, so despite the fact that I know nothing about O’Brien I would trust his judgement and would not be averse to trying to bring him in as an eventual replacement for Klich.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 4th August) Phil Hay sets the record straight on Brien and Traore

Post by HarryofOz »

Cool going by the pattern, that means tomorrow we'll read about how we are on the verge of signing Traore ;-)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Morning All,

The Llorente/ Struijk partnership is our best central defensive partnership in my opinion, you only have to look at how few goals we conceded towards the end of the season but I think it's inevitable that Bielsa will play Cooper at OT barring injury.
Koch was playing well last season until his injury but he will probably have to bide his time on the bench to begin with.
That's what it's all about though, competition for places.

The starting line at OT will probably be along the lines of
Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Cooper
Firpo
Raphinha
Phillips
Klich or Dallas
Harrison
Rodrigo
Bamford

So that means the bench will include Shackleton, Koch, Struijk, Klich or Dallas, Costa and Roberts.

No idea how good O'Brien is but it sounds like we may be getting him from what PH has said.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cooper is captain and MB will play his captain if fit... He also won't give a s**t if they're a 100M stud or 50K journeyman over the hill championship player. Whatever fits the system and is higher on the pecking order..

For my money Koch is one of the top 5 players at the club but may not get a game for a while.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:25 am Morning All,

The Llorente/ Struijk partnership is our best central defensive partnership in my opinion, you only have to look at how few goals we conceded towards the end of the season but I think it's inevitable that Bielsa will play Cooper at OT barring injury.
Koch was playing well last season until his injury but he will probably have to bide his time on the bench to begin with.
That's what it's all about though, competition for places.

The starting line at OT will probably be along the lines of
Meslier
Ayling
Llorente
Cooper
Firpo
Raphinha
Phillips
Klich or Dallas
Harrison
Rodrigo
Bamford

So that means the bench will include Shackleton, Koch, Struijk, Klich or Dallas, Costa and Roberts.

No idea how good O'Brien is but it sounds like we may be getting him from what PH has said.
Not sure if it's Roberts as the favoured 10 or Rodrigo, Roberts has played better in the role but Rodrigo has a lot of talent. I wouldn't rule out Klich as the 10 either, he's the most creative player on the team bar Raph
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:15 am Good morning lads and lasses hope you are well and had a great summer one and all, and are looking forward to the new season, onwards and upwards for Leeds United!

I was talking to my golfing buddy (a town fan) the other day about Lewis O’Brien and he considers him to be their star player, “a cross between Billy Bremner and Paul Scholes” was his comment - high praise indeed if perhaps a little OTT. Despite my friend being a Town fan I believe he knows what he’s talking about, so despite the fact that I know nothing about O’Brien I would trust his judgement and would not be averse to trying to bring him in as an eventual replacement for Klich.
Welcome back Byebye, hope you've this summer :tup: I'm assuming much of it on the golf course.

If O'Brien achieves half of what Bremner & Scholes achieved in his career get him signed up :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:25 am Morning All,

Without any doubt Chilli, I'll despair if Cooper is given the nod ahead of Struijk, Pascal is more mobile & better in the air, he needs to sort out one or two loose passes he plays out from the back though. Llorente & Struijk definitely for me.

Cooper & Phillips have to start v Ajax & Villarreal to get match fitness in preparation for the new season.

I truly hope Kalvin starts at OT.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47 am Not sure if it's Roberts as the favoured 10 or Rodrigo, Roberts has played better in the role but Rodrigo has a lot of talent. I wouldn't rule out Klich as the 10 either, he's the most creative player on the team bar Raph
Klich has played well in pre-season & seems to have got his zest back!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

It will be Cooper over Struijk we all.know that unfortunately.

Not convinced by O'brien, not ambitious enough for me and hardly goes with Kinnear talking about top 6 level signings.

James, Lang, Kent, Asensio, Damsgaard or Pereira?
In order of preference hmm.

Damsgaard
Asensio
Kent
Pereira
Lang
James.

I like Lang as a player just unconvinced by his well documented attitude issues ( we have been bitten by this before) and the relatively poor level he plays at.

Kent ive actually watched quite a bit of now, he plays in a poor league but its clear and obvious he is a class above it.

Lets be honest the chances of us spending the needed amount to get the first two are practically non existing.

I dont want Dan James ffs, some Championship midfield plodder and James would be a crap window end.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:47 am Not sure if it's Roberts as the favoured 10 or Rodrigo, Roberts has played better in the role but Rodrigo has a lot of talent. I wouldn't rule out Klich as the 10 either, he's the most creative player on the team bar Raph
Agree about Klich but we know how much Bielsa likes Dallas (Stuey not the programme)
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:46 am I dont want Dan James ffs, some Championship midfield plodder and James would be a crap window end.
I'd love to see Dan James. I think he has so much potential that is being wasted. His record at OT is pretty good despite very limited appearances and can see Bielsa making him into a cracking no.10 or wide player - I see him more in the 10 role as someone who can carry the ball centrally with great speed. I do however think MU would be very reluctant to sell him to us as they would be concerned as to how it would look if Bielsa turned him into the player that OGS is not capable of.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:55 am Agree about Klich but we know how much Bielsa likes Dallas (Stuey not the programme)
To be fair Dallas was our player of the 2020/21 season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:45 am Cooper is captain and MB will play his captain if fit... He also won't give a s**t if they're a 100M stud or 50K journeyman over the hill championship player. Whatever fits the system and is higher on the pecking order..

For my money Koch is one of the top 5 players at the club but may not get a game for a while.
Even though we have two possibly three CB's better than Coops.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:37 am To be fair Dallas was our player of the 2020/21 season.
Indeed he was, he got my vote.
It's difficult to see how Bielsa will accommodate him and Klich though unless he plays Stuey at LB and leaves out Firpo.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:17 am I'd love to see Dan James. I think he has so much potential that is being wasted. His record at OT is pretty good despite very limited appearances and can see Bielsa making him into a cracking no.10 or wide player - I see him more in the 10 role as someone who can carry the ball centrally with great speed. I do however think MU would be very reluctant to sell him to us as they would be concerned as to how it would look if Bielsa turned him into the player that OGS is not capable of.
Agreed. Would love to see Dan at ER
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:40 am Even though we have two possibly three CB's better than Coops.
My starting 11 is in my sig but you get what you get with Bielsa and to be fair he's the one that has gotten us here despite fan opinion.. We're all armchair critics and you never know he may surprise us.

Looking forward to game one, that's where we will learn things about this season, not pre season
Last edited by The Subhuman on Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:51 am Welcome back Byebye, hope you've this summer :tup: I'm assuming much of it on the golf course.

If O'Brien achieves half of what Bremner & Scholes achieved in his career get him signed up :-D
Thank you 64, this summer has consisted mainly of gardening but with tennis and golf sprinkled in between. Not a bad way to spend the summer months I think! Hope you’ve managed to get plenty of bowls in.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:15 am Good morning lads and lasses hope you are well and had a great summer one and all, and are looking forward to the new season, onwards and upwards for Leeds United!

Never trust a Town fan. I heard they 'bother' dogs :shock:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:18 am Cool going by the pattern, that means tomorrow we'll read about how we are on the verge of signing Traore ;-)
That's how rumours start.

BTW, can I quote you on that? :roflmao: