Do Leeds over-elaborate in front of goal?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Do Leeds over-elaborate in front of goal?

Post by Carrick Dave »

If so, who are the main culprits?

Is the cause coaching or cowardice?

Are the lads afraid to assume the shooting responsibility for whatever reason?

Would an unapologetic shoot on sight policy result in more goals?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Do Leeds over-elaborate in front of goal?

Post by faaip »

I thought we were one of the most direct teams and I think we scored more from outside the box than everyone
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

That doesn't answer the question Faaip.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:54 pm If so, who are the main culprits?

Costa certainly had 2 chances to shoot tonight and ended up losing the ball....Shooting on sight does not necassarily result in more goals, it can but what it does is make the defenders think, and could cause some unbalnce to their system... I think a shoot on sight policy is a good thing, Dallas had 2 good efforts thwarted tonight...Faaip is right we did score more from outside the box than anyone last season.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:54 pm If so, who are the main culprits?

I thought there was a bit of that on Saturday, especially in the second half.

Last season Leeds did score the most goals from outside the area in the Prem so it isn't ability, but we do try and score the perfect goal sometimes.

Sometimes it works for us though.

Check back on our second goal v Spurs last season, we had the chance to be more direct and seemed to miss the opportunity then Harrison and Ali combined to carve them open on the left for Bamford to finish.

Culprits?

Costa and Roberts rarely shoot.
Lack of ability or coaching? I dunno
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would say lack of confidence at times. When you're low on confidence you don't want to try the shot so you look for the pass when the shot is probabl ythe better option or you take an extra touch to try to make the chance easier but end up making it harder.
Senor El Weasel
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

I would say lack of confidence at times. When you're low on confidence you don't want to try the shot so you look for the pass when the shot is probabl ythe better option or you take an extra touch to try to make the chance easier but end up making it harder.
This
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

weasel wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:51 pm I would say lack of confidence at times. When you're low on confidence you don't want to try the shot so you look for the pass when the shot is probabl ythe better option or you take an extra touch to try to make the chance easier but end up making it harder.
Definately in the case of Costa and to some extent Roberts...I have pretty well given up on Costa, it has just been to long now...Roberts I still have hope for.
Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I don’t see why we don’t shoot on site more often instead of trying to be too intricate in a very crowded penalty box. If the shot is on target, which it should be, then at the very least it will make the goalkeeper work, it could get a deflection that wrong foots the goalkeeper or it could get a deflection that rebounds to one of our players in a better position.

What I hate to see though, during a promising attack, is the total anticlimax of someone taking a shot which is miles off target and fly’s harmlessly 10ft over the crossbar.
Mick Jones shoulder
First Team
First Team

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

If Leeds over elaborate anywhere its in the defensive 1/3 and causes no end of issues. Been a problem since Bielsas' arrival. Thought we did OK in front of goal last season.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The thing about Leeds is, they always try to walk it in!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:16 pm Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A horrible watch Adam.
Mick Jones shoulder
First Team
First Team

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Yes , I watched the entire game.
Why?
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Mick Jones shoulder wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:00 pm If Leeds over elaborate anywhere its in the defensive 1/3 and causes no end of issues. Been a problem since Bielsas' arrival. Thought we did OK in front of goal last season.
Exactly this MJS. I watched the lowlights from Ajax and deary me wtf were Ayling and Meslier doing? Both need to wake up and get a bit more of a sense of urgency. Meslier cost us a few goals the other night with his sloppiness, even that long range shot should have been saved.

Bielsa needs to get it through his sconce that Ayling ain't a centre back and Koch ain't a DCM for starters :x
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Yes, at times we do over elaborate and miss the opportunity for an incisive pass or shot.

If so, who are the main culprits?

Harrison, Costa, and Roberts often does take a shot but it's usually straight at the goalie, but you could say that about all of them. One of the biggest problems is not putting a good early cross in. If Rodrigo is our number ten then he should be capable of unlocking defences. If he's not capable of this, and we don't get a 10 in, then we've got major problems on the creative front.

Maybe just a lack of confidence, and lack of quality is also a factor. You can improve confidence, but natural talent is not something you can coach into players.

Some of them are shot shy, Costa in particular. A real disappointment that guy, and let's hope and pray that Rodrigo is not another flop, cos the jury's out for me on him :duno:

Well you can't just always take shots as you're play just becomes one dimensional and the opposition can set up to just close down and block shots. We need to have a mixture of intricate play to unlock defences (created by a number 10) and a direct approach. Gotta keep the opposition guessing.

For a rugby analogy, an up and under is a great tactic in greasy conditions, or as a surprise to the opposition, but if you're gonna boot the ball to the opposition one every occasion as the Lions did last weekend against the Springboks, they know what to expect and you're lost any element of nous or surprise, hence they got humped :x
mothbanquet

Post by mothbanquet »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:16 pm Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Just watched that episode last night, total classic! :roflmao:
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

mothbanquet wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:51 am Just watched that episode last night, total classic! :roflmao:
Love Moss...great character
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

mothbanquet wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:51 am Just watched that episode last night, total classic! :roflmao:

Glad someone got the reference!
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Do we try to over elaborate?

I don't think so. We have players more than happy to have a crack. I think our issue is we sometimes struggle to open up space in the middle of the pitch, Saiz was the best at it, Pablo could thread the ball through the eye of a needle but I'm not convinced yet Rodrigo is the answer to the question. Still looking for that No.10, I hear there is a good one avaialble?