The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 14th September) Square pegs in round holes for Newcastle clash

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 14th September) Square pegs in round holes for Newcastle clash

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 14th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Square pegs in round holes for Newcastle clash

After Marcelo Bielsa's refusal to call out Sheffield-born referee Craig Pawson for red carding Pascal Struijk at weekend, Leeds will be down to their bare bones in defence for the next three games. Pawson doesn't have the best reputation with the Leeds faithful, especially after officiating the play off Semi final against Derby in 2019, but the Leeds maestro has made his decision.

Struijk's suspension coincides with injuries to Llorente and Koch; leaving Liam Cooper as Leeds only recognised centre back. Whilst many would love to see Charlie Cresswell make his long awaited debut, the gaffer is likely to switch Ayling to centre back, with either Shackleton or Dallas covering at right back! It's not by any means ideal. Friday's clash at St James' Park is anything but a forgone conclusion. Leeds sneaked a 2-1 victory back in January, but with 50,000 Geordies behind them, the atmosphere will be very different.

The defensive trio are also set to miss the League Cup game at Fulham, and the visit of West Ham to Elland Road. We know our visits to the Capital don't usually end well, whilst West Ham were one of the few teams to do the double over us last season, and that's when we were playing well!

Llorente's injury caused by over training or not warming up properly

An injury prevention expert, who has worked for Premier League clubs has blamed the coaching staff at Elland Road for Llorente's latest injury. The Spanish International pulled his hamstring after just 30 minutes of the Liverpool clash to the dismay of thousands of Leeds fans. Whilst it's fair to say, the former Real Sociedad defender has been injury prone since arriving in the Premiership, the unnamed expect believes the situation is more complex than that!
That does not reflect well on Leeds or their staff. The job of the staff – the fitness, conditioning, sports science guys – is to get the players fit to play and keep them out there. There are some injuries you can’t legislate for, like the Harvey Elliott one today, but top athletes should not be breaking down with muscle injuries in the first half of matches."

It means they are being overloaded in training, over-worked or not warming up and preparing properly. Something has gone wrong somewhere and Leeds will be embarrassed it has happened again to Llorente. Everyone will look from the outside and think he is ‘injury prone’ but it is more complex than that. Ultimately it is the manager’s decision on whether he thinks players are fit to play, and once they’re selected they should not be pulling hamstrings in the first half.

Are the players overtraining? Last season, the players were the fittest in the entire Premiership, this term, they look slightly jaded, and off the pace. Fortunately, the injury is not as serious as first thought. Speaking from his Instagram account, the 28 year old said...

Yesterday was a tough day due to the defeat at home and the injury. But there is no time to regret. It’s time to work harder than ever. Fortunately, I have nothing serious, and I will be back soon. Thanks for all your support.

Regrettably, you can't hurry hamstring injuries!

£100m wages this season

Leeds wage bill this season is expected to top the 100 m mark for the first time in their history according to an Elland Road insider. The unnamed source also revealed that Rodrigo is their highest earner, taking home £100,000 a week! This is a far cry from the £31 million outlay from the Championship title winners two seasons ago! It's not just our record signing that is on big bucks. Most of those who were promoted with Bielsa have been rewarded with long term contracts and significantly increased terms!

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 14th September) Square pegs in round holes for Newcastle clash

Post by Ellandback1 »

What is Rodrigo's best position, and why is he not performing?

Which players have disappointed the most this season so far?
Scoobychief
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 14th September) Square pegs in round holes for Newcastle clash

Post by Scoobychief »

About wages and cost. I've got an awful feeling that Raph & Phillips will be sold to balance the books.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Rodrigo's best position is the one currently occupied by Bamford
He's not performing because he's not playing in the position currently occupied by Bamford
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

With Struijk's red card, Leeds need to appeal that decision, I couldn't care less whether MB thinks it was correct, it wasn't. So get it appealed and the card rescinded and let's have Struijk available on Friday.

At the same time, we need to be registering a complaint about Klopp invading the pitch and harassing the ref into sending Pascal off. A decent ref would have told Klopp to f off and given him the red card, and not Struijk. We also need to complain about that ref's performance in general, he made numerous wrong decisions and was clearly open to influence by Liverpool and their players.

There is absolutely no way we should accept s**t like this, ever.

Llorente and Koch are two decent players, but they're always injured, hence the emergence of Pascal. Why MB is persisting with Cooper I don't know? Cooper has been woeful this season. If Pascal has been able to step up then why can't Charlie Cresswell? He's surely worth a go ahead of Cooper, or Ayling at CB?

Ayling's another that's been dreadful this season. I wouldn't complain if he was dropped and Dallas slotted in at right-back.

Our tactical approach has been appalling in these first four matches, where's our midfield, wher's our fitness and pressing disappeared to? We desperately need someone to put their foot on the ball and make us tick in midfield, so far we can't string two passes together. Radz's braindead tweet about Forshaw being our new CM needs rammed down his neck at every opportunity.

For Newcastle I would shake things up and go with:

Meslier
Dallas
Cresswell
Struijk
Firpo (Another that's struggling, but we don't have another LB)
Phillips
Klich
Shackleton
Raphinha
Rodrigo
James

But I guess MB will go with:

Meslier
Dallas
Ayling
Cooper
Firpo
Phillips
Rodrigo
Klich
Raphinha
Bamford
Harrison
mentalcase
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by mentalcase »

White Riot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:39 am With Struijk's red card, Leeds need to appeal that decision, I couldn't care less whether MB thinks it was correct, it wasn't. So get it appealed and the card rescinded and let's have Struijk available on Friday.

At the same time, we need to be registering a complaint about Klopp invading the pitch and harassing the ref into sending Pascal off. A decent ref would have told Klopp to f off and given him the red card, and not Struijk. We also need to complain about that ref's performance in general, he made numerous wrong decisions and was clearly open to influence by Liverpool and their players.

There is absolutely no way we should accept s**t like this, ever.

Llorente and Koch are two decent players, but they're always injured, hence the emergence of Pascal. Why MB is persisting with Cooper I don't know? Cooper has been woeful this season. If Pascal has been able to step up then why can't Charlie Cresswell? He's surely worth a go ahead of Cooper, or Ayling at CB?

Ayling's another that's been dreadful this season. I wouldn't complain if he was dropped and Dallas slotted in at right-back.

Our tactical approach has been appalling in these first four matches, where's our midfield, wher's our fitness and pressing disappeared to? We desperately need someone to put their foot on the ball and make us tick in midfield, so far we can't string two passes together. Radz's braindead tweet about Forshaw being our new CM needs rammed down his neck at every opportunity.

For Newcastle I would shake things up and go with:

Meslier
Dallas
Cresswell
Struijk
Firpo (Another that's struggling, but we don't have another LB)
Phillips
Klich
Shackleton
Raphinha
Rodrigo
James

Meslier
Dallas
Ayling
Cooper
Firpo
Phillips
Rodrigo
Klich
Raphinha
Bamford
Harrison
100% Agree on all that including team selection.
Saved me from writing pretty much the same stuff, with the addition that Harrison is also under performing, he has the ability but isn't consistent enough.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 am What is Rodrigo's best position, and why is he not performing?

He's best at striker, so let's give him a go there. He's not performing because he's not a CM, and never will be. We're trying to run all our play down the flanks to create overloads that have worked for us in the past. But the opposition have sussed us out and just cut off our outlets from playing it out of defence. They then flood midfield and it's Kalvin against the 6th Cavalry charge. Bamford's had very little service, and what he has had he hasn't been able to control. If things ain't working as badly as they have been in those first 4 matches you need to look at other options, e.g. Rodders at striker and Shackleton in CM.

Which players have disappointed the most this season so far?
Llorente. Koch and Forshaw, because they're always unavailable.
Ayling, Cooper, Firpo, Harrison, Raphinha, Bamford, Rodrigo, Roberts.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

A few years ago Arsenal suffered with lots of injuries, many minor, some major and that was blamed on the training, warm ups and the physios but that seemed to be across the team and picking up a lot of niggling little injuries, whereas ours seems to be just Llorente and Koch in the main so I don't think it's down to the training etc... more to do with these two players themselves.

I do agree though that many of our players look jaded and lack lustre at times, Ayling, Dallas and Klich to name but three, it was even mentioned against Poland that in the last 10 Kalvin looked tired :shock: so perhaps that's down to how much football they have played in the last 2 years without a decent break.

Whatever the problem we need some sort of fix soon, perhaps freshen things up a bit by utilising some of the U23s?
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I am sure the club will appeal, it would be ludicrous not to and infact id say they have to if only to show young Pascal they have his back.

We dont even need to discuss what will happen selection wise.

Klich in for for Rodrigo, Dallas to right back, Ayling to centre back, not a hope in hell Charlie Cresswell gets a chance so no point even contemplating it unfortunately.

Whether the players are over trained or not we do suffer a daft amount of injuries, as Rats says the issue we have is very small squad the majority of which have played non stop for 3 years, it was ludicrous for the club to just assume minimal changes this summer would be enough, the squad is dead on its feet.

Just look at the pressing its half a yard slower already.

I wonder how the players feel having no competition? Being guaranteed to start week in week out for many of them, competition and the threat of losing your place is a great motivator in football, our players never have that, always wondered how that impacted them or what they thought.

Rodrigo's best position is second striker as he has said himself, a role we dont use.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 am Morning EB et all

A few years ago Arsenal suffered with lots of injuries, many minor, some major and that was blamed on the training, warm ups and the physios but that seemed to be across the team and picking up a lot of niggling little injuries, whereas ours seems to be just Llorente and Koch in the main so I don't think it's down to the training etc... more to do with these two players themselves.

I do agree though that many of our players look jaded and lack lustre at times, Ayling, Dallas and Klich to name but three, it was even mentioned against Poland that in the last 10 Kalvin looked tired :shock: so perhaps that's down to how much football they have played in the last 2 years without a decent break.

Whatever the problem we need some sort of fix soon, perhaps freshen things up a bit by utilising some of the U23s?
Didn't they blame the pitch too!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Scoobychief wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 am About wages and cost. I've got an awful feeling that Raph & Phillips will be sold to balance the books.
If we have a mediocre season, and God forbid worse still we get relegated, then Raph, Meslier and Phillips will be offski as they have their own careers to get on with, and I'm sure they don't see Adam Physio Bed Forshaw, or Tyro as their preferred play-pals when there's the likes of KDB, Messi, Kante, Rice, or even Conor Gallagher available :)
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

hello there my old sportys Biffo Longstreak here consultant sports therapist to the stars.

Now you will hear me rattling on about BMI or body mass index. We want to get our players lean, and the way to do it is to get them onto a keto diet.

it has been scientifically proven if you want to lose weight then you need to consume lots of protein and get rid of starch foods. What we need is for players to get into a state of ketosis, where their body burns fats instead of sugars like glucose. Less muscle injuries and more energy.

To this end I have come up with the LBS diet, and no it doesn't stand for pounds, it is not an acronym. To become really fit the players must go on to LARD BUTTER and SUET diet.

Towards the end of last season this was the diet that Leeds players were on and the results were phenomenal, not a loss in 10 games. However the poor start to this season is a good indication that their LBS diet has been compromised... and that under the influence of Cooper who has returned from Scotland many of the players are indulging in deep fried Mars Bars.

To my mind this sabotage has to stop, and only then Leeds can return to winning ways.
Mountain
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Mountain »

When someone breaks a leg in football, I think it would look all wrong for the other club to go on the attack, have a go at the ref, the opposition manager (who was completely understandably upset at the time, do we really think he should have remained calm and composed?), the FA, put Strujik into a witness box in an FA hearing to fight the matter. I think the media would go nuts, it will open it up to repeat analysis, and hang over Strujik for a lot longer. And probably for absolutely no gain whatsoever except to show Leeds in a very ugly light. It would be classless, and useless.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:39 am

Meslier
Dallas
Ayling
Cooper
Firpo
Phillips
Rodrigo
Klich
Raphinha
Bamford
Harrison
That will be the team pending whether MB thinks Klich has recovered from Covid.

All very predictable, cat-like :moggy:
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Mountain wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:36 am When someone breaks a leg in football, I think it would look all wrong for the other club to go on the attack, have a go at the ref, the opposition manager (who was completely understandably upset at the time, do we really think he should have remained calm and composed?), the FA, put Strujik into a witness box in an FA hearing to fight the matter. I think the media would go nuts, it will open it up to repeat analysis, and hang over Strujik for a lot longer. And probably for absolutely no gain whatsoever except to show Leeds in a very ugly light. It would be classless, and useless.
It's a dislocated ankle isn't it? Not that it's any less serious though.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Overman
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Overman »

I wish MB would start to do away with the whole square peg approach. Granted, injuries have forced his hand a bit, but it generally proves to be ineffective and we look even more exposed. Perhaps at some point we can eventually play players in their more orthordox and natural positions. I don't think Rodrigo is being utilised to his full potential, as is clearly evident in his performances. With MB he'll continue to rigidly apply the same methods and will rarely ever disgress from them as we know. This has proven to be successful in the past, but it may also be our undoing this season. As for some of our youth, they must be bewildered as to why they've not been given a run out, considering the form of some of our first team players. Not sure what sort of crisis it will take for MB to blood them, they couldn't do any worse. With Koch, Forshaw and Llorente, it's ridiculous the amout of time they're out injured. Radz must be particularly pleased with his answer to our midfield woes.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 am Morning EB et all

Morning pal, Phillips never gets subbed by England, even though being a midfielder he covers a lot of ground!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:02 am Just look at the pressing its half a yard slower already
Blatantly noticeable!
Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:02 amI wonder how the players feel having no competition? Being guaranteed to start week in week out for many of them, competition and the threat of losing your place is a great motivator in football, our players never have that, always wondered how that impacted them or what they thought
Footballers naturally want to play every game so our bunch must be very happy they are guaranteed a place.

Maybe another reason why players linked with LUFC are uninterested in signing for Leeds.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:54 am I wish MB would start to do away with the whole square peg approach. Granted, injuries have forced his hand a bit, but it generally proves to be ineffective and we look even more exposed. Perhaps at some point we can eventually play players in their more orthordox and natural positions. I don't think Rodrigo is being utilised to his full potential, as is clearly evident in his performances. With MB he'll continue to rigidly apply the same methods and will rarely ever disgress from them as we know. This has proven to be successful in the past, but it may also be our undoing this season. As for some of our youth, they must be bewildered as to why they've not been given a run out, considering the form of some of our first team players. Not sure what sort of crisis it will take for MB to blood them, they couldn't do any worse. With Koch, Forshaw and Llorente, it's ridiculous the amout of time they're out injured. Radz must be particularly pleased with his answer to our midfield woes.
The youngsters will get a run out in our cup-tie at Fulham next Tuesday, MB has few options with injuries/suspensions mounting up in our threadbare squad. Our U23's have two games in five days next week so I reckon Matt Jackson will utilise some of the under 18's for those matches.

The Forshaw love-in from our management has gone beyond a joke now.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mountain wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:36 am When someone breaks a leg in football, I think it would look all wrong for the other club to go on the attack, have a go at the ref, the opposition manager (who was completely understandably upset at the time, do we really think he should have remained calm and composed?), the FA, put Strujik into a witness box in an FA hearing to fight the matter. I think the media would go nuts, it will open it up to repeat analysis, and hang over Strujik for a lot longer. And probably for absolutely no gain whatsoever except to show Leeds in a very ugly light. It would be classless, and useless.
Fortunately, Elliott's leg is not broken. His ankle got dislocated, really painful though!

I don't know the FA's process for appealing a red card, but would imagine there is a panel of 3, who review the incident.

The review should stop the moment the Liverpool player hits the ground. What happens afterwards is irrelevant.