The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 15th September) Leeds appeal Struijk's red card

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 15th September) Leeds appeal Struijk's red card

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 15th September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds appeal Struijk's red card

Leeds United have launched an appeal against Palcal Struijk's straight red card he received last weekend. An independent regulatory commission at the FA will review the incident and decide whether the defender exhibited serious foul play in his tackle on Elliott. Many pundits and ex-referees agree that it was not a sending off offence, just an unfortunate accident. Elliott himself has forgiven Struijk on social media and said it was just an accident. In the unlikely event that the panel consider that there was no justification for the appeal, they can increase Struijk's ban to four games.

Have Leeds defied Bielsa by appeal

Following the 3-0 home defeat by Liverpool on Sunday, Bielsa made his feelings very clear regarding Struijk's early bath. Speaking at his post match press conference, the Argentine was quoted as saying...

For me, the referee decides, he has enough resources to make the decision. I don't know why the decision was not immediate and it was after. I never like to condition the decisions the referee makes.

Everything out of Bielsa's mouth strongly indicates that there will be no appeal against the red card, yet the club have submitted the paperwork anyway! Will Bielsa feel that the club have gone over his head?

Radrizzani put his head on the block bringing Bielsa to ER

In his latest podcast Phil Hay has revealed that Chairman Andrea Radrizzani was inundated with messages of concern about bringing Bielsa to Elland Road after it was leaked that the Argentine could be on his way to LS11 three years ago. According to Hay...

It was funny because when he first started getting wind of it, somebody from ESPN got in touch with me and said, 'I’ve heard Leeds are looking quite closely at him and are very interested in him.' He sort of said it as a bit of a kicker, ‘I could see that being an absolute disaster’. And that kind of related to the fact that Bielsa developed a reputation for being extremely volatile.

Everybody had this image of a bit of a madman who was difficult to please and could leave a club at a drop of a hat like he did at Marseille and Lazio, where he didn’t even make it through the door. There were a lot of people who were messaging Radrizzani when it became clear that Leeds were going to do this to say to him, ‘look, is this the right decision, is this a bit of a risk? I’m not sure you should be doing this’. Orta had to say to him, ‘just hold your nerve, if something goes wrong you can sack me if this goes wrong but I will stick my head out and I will take the chance with this because I think it can be sensational’.”

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 15th September) Leeds appeal Struijk's red card

Post by Irish Ian »

Appeal rejected already.
Edit. It was heard last night and The Athletic reports that the ban will stand.

Suggest someone sends them the recording of Everton Burnley match as a comparison.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
Mountain
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 15th September) Leeds appeal Struijk's red card

Post by Mountain »

They certainly have not defied Bielsa. I'm not sure he has ever criticised a ref. Given the way he has always conducted himself, with his ideas of respect and consistency, I think it was even less likely that he would do so immediately after Sunday when the main issue was the well being of an opponent.
mentalcase
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by mentalcase »

Yea , suppose we all knew it would be futile.
What's the point, seriously, everyman and his dog including elliot have said it was a freak accident, thanks to the way the filthy liverpool bench and salah the diver reacted, in particular their scruffy tramp of a vagabond manager klopp, we have an innocent young player with the full wieght of the FA/PL against him, hang your'e trampy head in shame klopp and LFC, have you no decency.
Hope they and hobo klopp get 90 minutes of abuse when we lake em in future.
What goes aroung comes around.
Oddly enough, the very next game after this incident, everton v burnley, there was an exact replica of that tackle, the player stayed down but the referee played on, was that because the manager didn't invade the pitch demanding a red, or was it because the referee realised he too could make a big mistake like pawson did ???
Depise klopp.
DDB220
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DDB220 »

It is quite frankly a ludicrous decision by the FA. All the evidence points towards an unnecessary red card. But the FA will do their utmost to support officialdom regardless of whether it is right or wrong. Refereeing in the EPL is so inconsistent and that falls at the feet of Mike Dean who I believe heads the body of officials. VAR is an unmitigated disaster here. I truly despair at why we have essentially administrators who have probably not kicked a ball in their life running the FA.

Bielsa is principled and I applaud that. Ranting and claiming injustice to the cameras post match has little effect. Therefore I applaud that he can maintain his dignity in the face of shambolic officialdom on an ever occurring basis. Personally, I would struggle not to unload both barrels.
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

I'd like to see a statement from the FA explaining their reasoning behind the decision and how it differs from the Son challenge.
Inconsistent and shambolic as ever but did we really expect anything different?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Byebyegeegee »

No surprise that Leeds’ appeal has been rejected and brushed under the carpet so quickly. The FA would never want to go against a referee who had, presumably, been backed up by VAR, it would be too embarrassing for them especially as it’s Leeds United. Had it been Manchester United it would have been a different story, although if it had have been them, there wouldn’t have been a red card in the first place.

The injury to Elliott was very unfortunate for him but was a complete accident, he has said so himself. Struijk won the ball as clean as a whistle, It wasn’t a vicious tackle and there was absolutely no malicious intent. So how can that constitute a red card? In mitigation the referee seeing the severity of the injury, with Klopp screaming in his face might have been caught up in the moment. But VAR, who had ample time to review the tackle should have at least asked him to reassess the decision on the pitch side monitor. And quite how the appeal board cannot see what everybody else can see, that the sending off was a travesty, is beyond comprehension. Well that’s the FA for you!
Prisoner37
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Prisoner37 »

Everton are now my second team for this season. I'd love for them to finish above Clip Klopp now.

I'm absolutely shocked the FA didn't increase it to 4 game ban. It just depends which team is. Leeds have no chance of getting a decision of those bent barstewards.
DavidH
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DavidH »

Evidently, has more class than his manager:

Elliott has responded to the news, posting on Instagram: "Sorry about this Pascal. I think it's wrong! But it'll soon blow over brother and you'll be back in no time smashing it again. Keep positive."
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Shocking decision to be fair and we know that the Ref only cow towed to Klopp. I'd imagine he won't ref Leeds in Leeds for long time now as Leeds fans will pour down the abuse
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
Mountain
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Mountain »

If a player sustains a serious injury in front of any manager in the world, I'd expect a reaction.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:57 am Yea , suppose we all knew it would be futile.
What's the point, seriously, everyman and his dog including elliot have said it was a freak accident, thanks to the way the filthy liverpool bench and salah the diver reacted, in particular their scruffy tramp of a vagabond manager klopp, we have an innocent young player with the full wieght of the FA/PL against him, hang your'e trampy head in shame klopp and LFC, have you no decency.
Hope they and hobo klopp get 90 minutes of abuse when we lake em in future.
What goes aroung comes around.
Oddly enough, the very next game after this incident, everton v burnley, there was an exact replica of that tackle, the player stayed down but the referee played on, was that because the manager didn't invade the pitch demanding a red, or was it because the referee realised he too could make a big mistake like pawson did ???
Depise klopp.
Well said MC :clap:

That mangey pikey Klopp has got away with murder here :evil:

So now every manager can run on the pitch whenever they fancy to question decisions and harass the ref, without any consequences on them :)

Why not let all the spectators run on the pitch too? Maybe they would like to have a "polite" word with the ref n all? :lol:

Just goes to prove the FA, refs, VAR and the filthy clubs at the top are all colluding together, like we didn't know that anyway? Fergie time, etc, :roll:

Oh well, at least we'll have the joy of watching our well in form Ayling and Cooper partnership dealing with Almiron, ASM, Soucek, Benrahma and Bowen. God help us :shock:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 am No surprise that Leeds’ appeal has been rejected and brushed under the carpet so quickly. The FA would never want to go against a referee who had, presumably, been backed up by VAR, it would be too embarrassing for them especially as it’s Leeds United. Had it been Manchester United it would have been a different story, although if it had have been them, there wouldn’t have been a red card in the first place.

The injury to Elliott was very unfortunate for him but was a complete accident, he has said so himself. Struijk won the ball as clean as a whistle, It wasn’t a vicious tackle and there was absolutely no malicious intent. So how can that constitute a red card? In mitigation the referee seeing the severity of the injury, with Klopp screaming in his face might have been caught up in the moment. But VAR, who had ample time to review the tackle should have at least asked him to reassess the decision on the pitch side monitor. And quite how the appeal board cannot see what everybody else can see, that the sending off was a travesty, is beyond comprehension. Well that’s the FA for you!
The EFL are low, but the FA, EPL refs, VAR and the filthy six are all lower than a snake's belly :)
WhiteRose
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WhiteRose »

If and it’s a big if the rules have been followed to get to this decision then It’s time they were rewritten. You can’t punish people for freak accidents or we get to a point where slide tackling may as well be banned as it will just be a lottery whether or not you get sent off.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

Dear ladies and gentlemen Beatrice Wormtongue here reporting on the efficacy of our character assassination of Marcelo Bielsa.

1. we continue to attack his inability to speak English. We feel that if we can emphasize that he is an outsider and a foreigner then he will be less acceptable. Promoting a xenophobic fear is only one way of turning the populace and fans against him. We have already infiltrated supporters forums and sown the seeds of discord.

2. Since he is perceived as being a loyal and faithful man we have to portray this as stubbornness and pig-headedness. Any positive attribute that he has we have to turn it on the head and make it out to be negative. if he abides by the laws and never criticizes it... we have to show that his intragency is detrimental to the club. Wherever possible we should promote dissension and discord. Our ultimate goal is to create tension on the training pitch and the dressing room, hastening the prospect that Bielsa will resign.

3. In the past we have had great success when we have emphasized that his training measures are too harsh and that they often result in injuries. The recurrent theme of burnout needs to be resurrected... highlight the current injuries and suspensions to prove a point.

4. We have to paint the picture that he is a dinosaur almost comparable to Neil Warnock or Terry Venables. We have to diminish his accomplishment of getting Leeds promoted from the championship or establishing them in premiership in their first season. Cite the fact that he does not play any of the rising stars from the under-23s, and that this intragency will be the downfall of the club.

I will know close this meeting and I wish you all well in ridding Leeds United of this foreigner who will besmirch this club's glorious English tradition. To the task my friends, the great English public eagerly awaits.
mentalcase
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by mentalcase »

Yea rules will probably be re-written, just like the offside one has been, always too late for us though as we are always on the wrong end of decisions.
We only get s**t ref's.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am I'd like to see a statement from the FA explaining their reasoning behind the decision and how it differs from the Son challenge.
Inconsistent and shambolic as ever but did we really expect anything different?
Yeah, I expected at least some bullshit explanation, like "Cos Klopp says so, so do one and don't come back again" :)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:09 am The EFL are low, but the FA, EPL refs, VAR and the filthy six are all lower than a snake's belly :)
The bias towards Leeds United is an absolute disgrace mate :(
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

WhiteRose wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:11 am If and it’s a big if the rules have been followed to get to this decision then It’s time they were rewritten. You can’t punish people for freak accidents or we get to a point where slide tackling may as well be banned as it will just be a lottery whether or not you get sent off.
If Henderson, for example, had been involved in that incident and Struijk ended up with a dislocated ankle, there wouldn't have been any punishment dished out to Henderson. If for some reason Henderson ended up red carded, Klopp and all his media pals would be screaming from the rooftops, the FA would insist that Liverpool appeal immediately and rescind the red card, the ref would be up before a kangaroo court, given a public birching and then struck off the top six/FA's list of authorized EPL refs ;-)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 am Had it been Manchester United it would have been a different story, although if it had have been them, there wouldn’t have been a red card in the first place.
Thats' the key point Byebye.

Also Liverpool, Chelsea , Citeh, Spurs, West ham players would have won the appeal too.