Newcastle Utd V Leeds Utd Match Thread/ Bielsa Unhappy!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Newcastle Utd V Leeds Utd Match Thread - James & Klich in for Harrison and Llorente

Post by whiteswan »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm Jesus, this forum is pretty despondent if we don’t smash teams. It was a point away from home, regardless of the opposition it is not exactly doomsday. We should have won - not getting that 2nd goal gave them confidence and that sucker punch before half time was a killer.
James needs time to get to grips with Bielsa methods. Firpo improving, Rodrigo had a decent game overall, Cooper had a good game struggled with ASM’s pace but that can be said of most defenders in this league.

We just weren’t clinical enough when we needed to be. We had plenty of games like that last year.

Dallas is not at his best. Loss of form, personal issues…. but let’s be honest we are judging him on last seasons performances. That is a lot to live up to and a dip in form is part and parcel of the game. Only two options - Hope he plays through it or drop him ? We all know what Bielsa will do in those circumstances.

For periods of the game we had that incisiveness we have been missing in our build up play. Still too many passes going astray, often at key moments but it was an improvement. As long as we are on that trajectory then I am not worried.
A breath of fresh air post.

Leon will tell you that I am one of the most pessimistic posters on here, but at least let us have constructive criticism on here, not just we were c**p, s**t, sh**e. As a forum, surely we are much better than that.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Newcastle Utd V Leeds Utd Match Thread - James & Klich in for Harrison and Llorente

Post by whiteswan »

SG90 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 pm We're relying on 3 teams being worse I'm afraid. Delusions and egotism have caused this, it could have so easily have been avoided.
You may be right SG. Last season when I was championing 40 points, (and looking over our shoulder) I got a little flack shall we say for being negative when some were looking at a top six finish. I dont think we recruited well in the transfer window this Summer (see my earlier post that Radz thinks we have ).....I will always be looking at what is going on in the table behind us this season. I do think we have to look at consolidation once again.....and I think that the ones who thought we would hit a European place this season are having a bit of a re-think right now. However..... I would love it if they were right and I was wrong :)
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 pm A breath of fresh air post.

Leon will tell you that I am one of the most pessimistic posters on here, but at least let us have constructive criticism on here, not just we were c**p, s**t, sh**e. As a forum, surely we are much better than that.
Absolutely no need to panic, we've still got Forshaw.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm Jesus, this forum is pretty despondent if we don’t smash teams. It was a point away from home, regardless of the opposition it is not exactly doomsday.
You have to laugh.

We draw away to the team that finished 12th in the Premier League last season, in front of 50,000 fans, something we could only have dreamed of pre Bielsa. And the reaction here is most of the players are not good enough to wear the shirt and the manager is stubborn and should be blamed for this appalling nightmare.

The last time we played this weekend and Bielsa wasn't manager, we lost to Milwall in front of 16,000. We would lose 3 of the next 4, v Reading, Wednesday and Cardiff. And Leeds might well be back down at that level after Bielsa and allegedly awful players like Cooper and Ayling leave. For the time being, we'll just have to find a way to survive the embarrassment of a draw at St. James.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Powder puff shooting
will be the death of us
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Disapointing in that we dominated for the best part of 40 minutes but didn't take out chances. They were on the rack at one down with the crowd turning, one more for us and it could have been a rout.

Seeing a lot of criticism of a lot of our players both here and on social but I though Rodrigo had his best game in a while, Firpo is improving every game and James showed some good signs. Dallas looked a bit out of sorts, I'd have hooked him for Shack, but I can hardly criticise given the past two seasons.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I didn't see the game last night but just watched the whole thing this morning. Only some poor finishing stopped us winning that comfortably. We just needed that second goal and Newcastle would have caved and out of nothing they equalise and the second half became a much more nervy even game.
At least we got a point but it really should have been three.
Decent performances from Raphinha, Rodrigo, Phillips and Firpo.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'm extremely concerned. This reminds of the season after we won the league under Wilko. Who has stolen our Dallas? personal issues must be affecting Stuart whatever they are. Covid in the camp & injuries/suspensions in our threadbare squad are a major worry. Once Raphinha went off we looked as flat as a pancake. Our powder puff shooting is another concern. Rodrigo's best game of the season. Should we have offered Alioski a new contract & used the 15 million on our midfield? We are not clinical enough & we can't defend efficiently.
Long old season imminent I feel.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I feared the worst before the season started. We haven't strengthened, our championship players are a year older and can't keep improving, Bielsa is in uncharted territory (4 years at the same European club - will the players burn out/become weary), too much talk of new stands rather than squad building, the loss of Ali seems to have affected our squad Bamford is looking like a flash in the pan & worst of all an unbalanced squad.

17th is acceptable. But we ought to have won that game comfortably & once again the ref failed us.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:04 am I feared the worst before the season started. We haven't strengthened, our championship players are a year older and can't keep improving, Bielsa is in uncharted territory (4 years at the same European club - will the players burn out/become weary), too much talk of new stands rather than squad building, the loss of Ali seems to have affected our squad Bamford is looking like a flash in the pan & worst of all an unbalanced squad.

17th is acceptable. But we ought to have won that game comfortably & once again the ref failed us.
Fair comment mate I think we have enough to stay up for defo, and at best finish mid-table, but that's if we can avoid injuries. Which is unlikely.

A number of our senior players look knackered to me and we're only 5 matches in :? Dallas, Ayling, Cooper, Bamford.

17th won't be good enough for KP, Raphinha and Meslier, so they'll be offski at the end of the season. We've failed to improve and progress, so the three above have to sort out their career ambitions elsewhere.

If it's a bottom half finish Bielsa will be off too. Then we'll have a new manager with a squad to rebuild, but he will have some cash to spend from the above sales, unless Radz and co pocket it.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:36 pm Jesus, this forum is pretty despondent if we don’t smash teams. It was a point away from home, regardless of the opposition it is not exactly doomsday. We should have won - not getting that 2nd goal gave them confidence and that sucker punch before half time was a killer.
James needs time to get to grips with Bielsa methods. Firpo improving, Rodrigo had a decent game overall, Cooper had a good game struggled with ASM’s pace but that can be said of most defenders in this league.

We just weren’t clinical enough when we needed to be. We had plenty of games like that last year.

Dallas is not at his best. Loss of form, personal issues…. but let’s be honest we are judging him on last seasons performances. That is a lot to live up to and a dip in form is part and parcel of the game. Only two options - Hope he plays through it or drop him ? We all know what Bielsa will do in those circumstances.

For periods of the game we had that incisiveness we have been missing in our build up play. Still too many passes going astray, often at key moments but it was an improvement. As long as we are on that trajectory then I am not worried.
this!

I don't even really want to come on very often anymore because it's the same ridiculous abuse and depressing posts over and over again at the minute.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:04 am I feared the worst before the season started. We haven't strengthened, our championship players are a year older and can't keep improving, Bielsa is in uncharted territory (4 years at the same European club - will the players burn out/become weary), too much talk of new stands rather than squad building, the loss of Ali seems to have affected our squad Bamford is looking like a flash in the pan & worst of all an unbalanced squad.

Exactly my sentiments.

I will take 17th. I know it's a massive step back, but we get what we deserve. And it's way better than the alternative, which doesn't bare thinking about.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 am this!

I don't even really want to come on very often anymore because it's the same ridiculous abuse and depressing posts over and over again at the minute.
Sorry Dan, what are these supposed positives we're supposed to be talking about?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 am this!

Fans are only voicing their concerns Dan.

Lets face it we haven't started well & with all the problems of covid/injuries/suspensions after only five games our season is unlikely to improve at least in the short term.

Fans concerns are understandable imo!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Shack changed the game against Burnley and has played 1 min since. Give him a chance, we could use his energy.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Unfortunately we all know Bielsa will move KP to centre back, thus messing up the team and leaving us very weak in the DM role. Why not just give Charlie Cresswell a chance?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Happy to hear fans concerns but we are writing off players and also at times becoming a bit revisionist. Get rid of him, play the kids, do this do that. Try him, do this. he will leave if we dont do that. ets etc.
Plus the abusive language is on the increase, including my comments too.

But tongue in cheek some of the opinions is like reading Smudge on Crack

BUT

Alioski WAS offered a new deal. HE didn't take it and left for a big money contract. Fair play.
If we had have kept him and not brought in a left sided defender there would have been screaming from the rooftops.

Dallas withdrew from the NI squad because of personal reasons, it is obvious he is under a cloud at the minute. But please give the guy a break, he is all Leeds. He was added into a makeshift defence which came up against a truly good player in decent nick. As a unit our defence hasn't been able to settle.

Interestingly one of the early season concerns wasn't an issue last night. Creative in midfield was good. Raph, Rodders and James all created chances. Klich and Roberts both had decent attempts too. Klich played 90 mins for the first time this season? He is key to us and it was good to see him getting time into those legs. Players miss chances, but it is better than not creating any at all.

Roberts came on when the whole side had went flat, the energy is down, --no doubt about that but it is a complex issue as sports scientists understand well.-- he ( Roberts)was played on the right which isn't his gig.

We lost Harrison in prep to the game, one player who had a field day in both games with Newcastle last time.

Screaming for kids to "have a go" Lets let the manager do his job, he lives and breathes this club and if these lads are offering anything better in training and the U23s then I am sure Bielsa can spot that.
Summerville got some time and tbf looked very Poveda-ish, but it is great that he got minutes.

Small squad. Id prefer two or three more seniors, but I dont pay the wage bill. A core 18 players is the Bielsa way. He won't change. He has done what he was brought in to do

. Get us here.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Now is the perfect time to blood some youth, while the senior players are struggling. They are fearless and full of confidence. You can't tell me Gelhardt wouldn't offer anything, when we have very little up top so far.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:28 am Sorry Dan, what are these supposed positives we're supposed to be talking about?
Unbeaten against any team we've played outside of the big four. Plus we've only played 5 games...and had a lot of injuries...
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am Fans are only voicing their concerns Dan.

Lets face it we haven't started well & with all the problems of covid/injuries/suspensions after only five games our season is unlikely to improve at least in the short term.

Fans concerns are understandable imo!
But it's concerns after 4/5 games, it's ridiculous. We've not lost to any team outside of the top 4 and are having lots of injuries.

As everyone has said, we're not expecting us to do as well as last season. We're comfortably competing with every team we've played outside of the big four.

So no, I don't think the "these players are sh*the", "get the senior players out, let's put the youth team in", "we're going down" comments are justified at all tbh. It's just panic mode and this weird expectation that we should be beating every team outside of the top six which is never going to happen. This season is just about staying up and consolidating our prem position which we look like doing