Newcastle Utd V Leeds Utd Match Thread/ Bielsa Unhappy!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Newcastle Utd V Leeds Utd Match Thread - James & Klich in for Harrison and Llorente

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:28 am Sorry Dan, what are these supposed positives we're supposed to be talking about?
Forshaw's making progress and we didn't lose to Newcastle :duno:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Newcastle Utd V Leeds Utd Match Thread - James & Klich in for Harrison and Llorente

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 am Fans are only voicing their concerns Dan.

Lets face it we haven't started well & with all the problems of covid/injuries/suspensions after only five games our season is unlikely to improve at least in the short term.

Fans concerns are understandable imo!
Yeah, but the happy clappers are still loving it mate :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:53 am Shack changed the game against Burnley and has played 1 min since. Give him a chance, we could use his energy.
He'll get a go against Fulham and our annual FA Cup match. We're a feeder club for Barrow in terms of young talent :lol:

I would give him a go just to freshen things up. Is Roberts worthy of a sub spot ahead of Shacks? :?

With our senior pros performing so poorly at the back and in terms of finishing, surely now's the time to blood the odd young un.

I was pleased Jimmy got a few minutes.

Otherwise when will these kids get a chance? When every senior player is unavailable? I wouldn't think it's great throwing them in at the deep end if we get embroiled in a relegation battle.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

So we are unhappy we shouldn't have been out of sight by halftime

Because we are rubbish?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Bongo1874
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Bongo1874 »

Maybe it's just me but what are you're expectations as supporters of Leeds? With the current squad you have?

A lot of people seemed to have written Newcastle off last night and i will be the first to say, you were the better team, but that result wasn't a bad result last night, considering you have 3/4 key players out, the criticism Marcelo gets is incredible on here, he is not perfect but feck me he has you playing good football, I would kill to have him over bruce, imagine what he could do with Saint max, Almiron, Wilson, Fraser, I'll bet anyone on this forum now you will beat West Ham at home, take that to the bank, Phillips has signed a new deal and will be you're highest paid player at the club.

What a difference a day makes! Currently up watching my Scottish team Hearts in Ross County, don't like our manager personally Robbie Neilson, preferred Stendel you will remember him at Barnsley.
Attachments
BD28E25F-0120-457D-98B6-E68B4E314141.jpeg.29311b22345396cab9c9213348215370.jpeg
BD28E25F-0120-457D-98B6-E68B4E314141.jpeg.29311b22345396cab9c9213348215370.jpeg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

It's all very well saying "if we took our chances we'd have won" but Newcastle had chances to.

As said before results are one thing but performances are another.

We haven't had 1 good performance this season, not 1 where we genuinely deserved to win.

The players look flat, they look careless and tired hence why we are so poor in possession and easy to get at.

All very well people using the past to justify it, oh we were in the Championship under PH 4 5 years ago, fine.

If we finish 16th and Meslier, Raph and KP leave will our fans still say "ah yes but it was awful a few years ago".

Why are some of our fans obsessed with using the past to justify the present? Was the same when we were spending naff all, people justified it by bringing up the past.

This is now this is what matters, what happened before it is irrelevant.

Sheffield United fans weren't going , "ah we were in League 1 few years ago we should be grateful". They were furious and concerned from the first few matches and justified in that as any fan is.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

On the plus side we did create some chances and at times offensively looked more like our old selves.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:27 pm Yeah, but the happy clappers are still loving it mate :lol:
I'm surprised some of fans can't see the problems compared to last season when we looked a different team.

We were the better side last night by far but still came away from St James Park with only one point.

We desperately need a PL victory just to give our players confidence & a winning mentality.

Just watched Brentford who are known for their attacking play but by golly they defended well at Wolves today, only conceded 2 goals in their first five matches.

We look like we'll concede goals every time any team attacks us :(
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

danhirons wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:13 pm But it's concerns after 4/5 games, it's ridiculous. We've not lost to any team outside of the top 4 and are having lots of injuries.

As everyone has said, we're not expecting us to do as well as last season. We're comfortably competing with every team we've played outside of the big four.

So no, I don't think the "these players are sh*the", "get the senior players out, let's put the youth team in", "we're going down" comments are justified at all tbh. It's just panic mode and this weird expectation that we should be beating every team outside of the top six which is never going to happen. This season is just about staying up and consolidating our prem position which we look like doing
I never said we should beat every team outside the top 6, and my concerns have nothing to do with opposition. I said the same thing towards the end of last season, but our issues stem from not improving the midfield and overplaying the same players every week and not giving others a chance. Now we're stuck with 30+ yo players who look exhausted and past their best, because we're afraid of moving on from them.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

That highlights why we concede like we are, our entire style relies on controlling the game, we aren't doing that.

And that highlights why concern is justified and Bielsa is concerned to he said so.
Signed

King Cjay

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Have to slightly disagree cjay....last night's first half was exceptional from us after getting mauled by Pool. There is no doubt that had we converted half of our numerous chances the 2nf half would've been a formality however it didn't pan out that way and we could've easily lost . We had a makeshift defence once again which just held out against an unstoppable Maxim but credit where credit is due . Imo we have hit the wall with our style. Man for man in this league is always going to be difficult with inferior quality players but we didn't upgrade the midfield which is seriously getting over-run in every game hence the reason why we concede so many shots and goals which is compounded when over-committing attacks break down regularly. Taking our chances is vital but it just isn't happening atm but with all things considered last night was a definite improvement and given it was away in front of 50000 Geordies the signs are that we are on the up again but they'll have to be on their metal against West Ham .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Good posts, Irish Ian and danhirons 👍🏻
Balanced views, not happy clapping.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Newcastle Utd V Leeds Utd Match Thread - 1-1 FT

Post by onemoreslogan »

Taken alone, yesterday's match was disappointing in that there was an opportunity to take three from a side in disarray, but good news was Leeds played better and a draw away is never such a bad thing.

In my view the most serious concern is that we have so many starters out with injury or doubtful. And this comes when we have an extra cup game to play. The flux in the lineup as a result is preventing the team from establishing any consistency, chemistry, or identity. Never mind form. When you throw in the added pressure of poor results the whole situation is worrisome.

I expect Bielsa is going to field an under-23 side against Fulham for no other reason than to protect his remaining starters from injury. Hopefully the knocks to Ayling, Raph, and Bamford aren't too serious and they'll be available for the Hammers. Even then, it will be a tall order to produce any kind of result. Hopefully we can turn the corner on the lineup before the hole gets too deep.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

onemoreslogan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:49 pm Taken alone, yesterday's match was disappointing in that there was an opportunity to take three from a side in disarray, but good news was Leeds played better and a draw away is never such a bad thing.

In my view the most serious concern is that we have so many starters out with injury or doubtful. And this comes when we have an extra cup game to play. The flux in the lineup as a result is preventing the team from establishing any consistency, chemistry, or identity. Never mind form. When you throw in the added pressure of poor results the whole situation is worrisome.

I expect Bielsa is going to field an under-23 side against Fulham for no other reason than to protect his remaining starters from injury. Hopefully the knocks to Ayling, Raph, and Bamford aren't too serious and they'll be available for the Hammers. Even then, it will be a tall order to produce any kind of result. Hopefully we can turn the corner on the lineup before the hole gets too deep.
A major concern Onemore :(

I don't think Bielsa has any choice than playing a scratch team.

Do we risk playing Cooper as he is our only remaining fit CB?
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Our first team squad need protecting as we are so thin. Put the 23's out and hope for the best.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:44 pm A major concern Onemore :(

I don't think Bielsa has any choice than playing a scratch team.

Do we risk playing Cooper as he is our only remaining fit CB?
I wouldn't play Cooper. Might as well see what we have at the bottom of the depth chart because there won't be any help coming before January and we will likely have to play them the way things are going at CB.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just seen the post match Bielsa interview.

He's not happy with the three points from our five games.
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:01 am Just seen the post match Bielsa interview.

He's not happy with the three points from our five games.
He's not on his f**king own is he??

But he is the one in the position to do something about it......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:10 am He's not on his f**king own is he??

But he is the one in the position to do something about it......
He certainly is Hector :tup:

With all the injuries building up, I'm unsure how he's going to wave his magic wand to gain a victory.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

SG90 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:42 pm I never said we should beat every team outside the top 6, and my concerns have nothing to do with opposition. I said the same thing towards the end of last season, but our issues stem from not improving the midfield and overplaying the same players every week and not giving others a chance. Now we're stuck with 30+ yo players who look exhausted and past their best, because we're afraid of moving on from them.
Don't get my wrong - I can see that we've not been playing as well as last season (or anywhere near that). Just saying we need to put everything into perspective and not start panicking/slagging the players off...we all know we needed a centre mid, but we also said this the whole of last season and look how we performed the last 9/10 games of the season

cooper, klich, ayling, rodders and dallas are 30 - nobody is any older in the squad (crazy) - 30 should be peak in my opinion and keeping them is nothing to do with being afraid of moving them on, they've all more than deserved to stay based on what they've done for the club (rodders excluded but he's not been given long). For me they can stay for as long as they want - hernandez and berardi style.

Will be a difficult few weeks with all the players out but definitely not time to panic!