Stadium expansion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Bongo1874
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Stadium expansion

Post by Bongo1874 »

Does anyone know when work for that will start, and is it 55k, or 60k? Interesting because I've always wondered what SJP would look like expanded👍.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Re: Stadium expansion

Post by Haighy »

No..
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

SJP - are we talking Newcastle or comparing what Elland Road would look like after expansion.
Sorry if I'm thick!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bongo1874 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:47 pm Does anyone know when work for that will start, and is it 55k, or 60k? Interesting because I've always wondered what SJP would look like expanded👍.
Good to be standing in an almost full to capacity SJP stadium (51.400) on Friday night Bongo.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Once we stay up this season planning will begin in earnest with the first phase beginning about 3 years from now.

They are confident that in some cases ( West and North stands) the new constructions can be built over the old seating which will remain in place to allow continued high capacity.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

A lot of things will have to alter before any expansion can take place.You just have to look at the last two games with fans having to wait for team coaches to arrive before they can enter the west stand area.But by far the biggest problem will be the roads around Elland Road can,t cope with the gates we are getting now never mind another two thousand fans coming along.Unfortunatly due to the grounds position a major overhaul of the road structure would need to take place and who bear the cost of that not all rate payers in Leeds would be happy to pay for it.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 am A lot of things will have to alter before any expansion can take place.You just have to look at the last two games with fans having to wait for team coaches to arrive before they can enter the west stand area.But by far the biggest problem will be the roads around Elland Road can,t cope with the gates we are getting now never mind another two thousand fans coming along.Unfortunatly due to the grounds position a major overhaul of the road structure would need to take place and who bear the cost of that not all rate payers in Leeds would be happy to pay for it.
Good points it's chaos especially night matches when everyone is in a car.

I noticed there is a couple of Park & Ride options but don't know anyone that has used them.
Anyone on here?

A train station next to the stadium would help but as said by EYW a lot of changes are needed to roads and parking.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Last Friday's view from the Leeds end, as high as the stand on the right.

Great view of how we set up & also easy to see when our players are out of position.

More difficult to determined how far players are at the other end from the goal when you are stood/sat in a low part of a stand.

Screenshot 2021-09-21 16.28.48.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteroseboy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 pm Good points it's chaos especially night matches when everyone is in a car.

I noticed there is a couple of Park & Ride options but don't know anyone that has used them.
Anyone on here?

A train station next to the stadium would help but as said by EYW a lot of changes are needed to roads and parking.
Always been chaos with big crowds for a night game, especially in peak hour traffic.

Our East Yorkshire SC are setting off half an hour earlier for all ER games this season.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I use the Temple Green P & R and will be doing so this Saturday, we then get the shuttle bus to the ground after a drink in town. We normally walk back into Leeds after the game (rather than queueing for the return shuttle bus), go for a curry then catch the P & R bus back to Temple Green and back home from there. Can’t wait!
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:41 pm I use the Temple Green P & R and will be doing so this Saturday, we then get the shuttle bus to the ground after a drink in town. We normally walk back into Leeds after the game (rather than queueing for the return shuttle bus), go for a curry then catch the P & R bus back to Temple Green and back home from there. Can’t wait!
Thanks for that I'm thinking of using it for night games , think the Crewe match was the worst I've been to for getting away its never good but that was a real nightmare. Saturdays is the train for me so never a issue.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Stourton Park and Ride has just opened off J7 of the M621, with 1200 parking spaces, which should help those coming up the M1 from the South.

With regard to ER stadium upgrades, nothing will happen for a couple of years, until we solidify our position in the PL. Planning permission has not yet been sought, so we are not trying to run before we can walk.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:02 am Stourton Park and Ride has just opened off J7 of the M621, with 1200 parking spaces, which should help those coming up the M1 from the South.

With regard to ER stadium upgrades, nothing will happen for a couple of years, until we solidify our position in the PL. Planning permission has not yet been sought, so we are not trying to run before we can walk.
And rightly so :tup:

We need to invest more into the playing squad.

No good having a 55k/60k stadium capacity if we end up back in the championship.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Never going to be a station at Elland Road, only single track and it's the main London line. Any stopping services would cause too much of an impact on the number of trains they could get down the track in an hour.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Won't need the extra capacity if we go down, would rather we spent the cash on the central midfielder we so desperately need.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

No point rebuilding the stadium until we've had at least 4 seasons of tv money imo.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

How are we going to afford the CMF we all want without some additional revenue?

The demand is certainly there for the tickets. The sooner the stadium is enlarged the better.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

whiteroseboy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:10 pm Good points it's chaos especially night matches when everyone is in a car.

Anyone on here?

There were more cars, fans etc in the 70's when standing was allowed and we had the high flying Revie team. Sometimes it would take well over an hour to inch our way out of the car park (if you were lucky). Many a time we would just put the radio on and listen to the footy results/reports and just wait our turn. A little patience was all that was required :)
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Consolidation in the PL must come first . At least this season and next so that we can strengthen the squad and see where we are after Bielsa because I think he'll go next year....if not before

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I was down at ER today and stopped to chat to a couple of guys standing by the Dons statue. Both from Manchester who told me they hated the manc clubs and they’d been supporting us since mid seventies, regularly getting to around 10 games a season pre Bielsa. Post Bielsa they haven’t had a sniff of a ticket. Now that’s revenue lost, and there’s little chance of recruiting new support who might actually want to come to the odd game if they can’t get a ticket. If we do expand the stadium by 10k+ it gives the occasional supporter the chance of a ticket, I’m sure we could sellout on a regular basis especially as a PL club.

I do get the chicken and egg argument , and I do get the ‘we have to ensure PL status, but we have to look further forwards than this season and get more seats to put bums on.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.