Fulham v Leeds Utd Match Thread - 0-0 FT. Leeds win 6-5 on penalties.

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Fulham v Leeds Utd Match Thread - 0-0 FT. Leeds win 6-5 on penalties.

Post by Ellandback1 »

Tuesday 21st September 19:45pm
Craven Cottage | EFL Cup 3rd Round

Leeds make the 400 mile round trip to South West London on Tuesday evening, hoping to reach the dizzy heights of the fourth round of the League Cup; but only if they can overcome Fulham at Craven Cottage. Leeds ventures to the Capital rarely end well, but they'll be hoping they can put a performance together to appease the fans who have been getting restless following their league status. Koch and Llorente are still nursing injuries whilst Struijk serves the second of his three match ban. Ayling and Raphinha both hobbled off during the latter parts of Friday night's 1-1 draw at St James Park; we're waiting to find out the extent of their injuries! Patrick Bamford also picked up a knock last week and will not travel with the squad.

Bielsa has the pick of the U23's, who are in a rich vain of form having just beaten Liverpool away 4-0. Gelhart scored a brace; chipping the keeper from the half way line, and a thunderbolt from 40 yards. The 19 year old joked later that he had hurt his back in the celebrations!

Looking to secure an immediate return to the Premier League, Fulham have made an encouraging start to their Championship campaign, collecting 16 points from eight matches. But they lost ground to early pacemakers Bournemouth on Saturday, losing 2-1 to Reading at home. They still remain in the automatic promotion slots, thanks to their superior goal difference. They have netted 18 times this season, more than any other Championship team; with Aleksandar Mitrovic grabbing six of the goals and three assists. Fulham have never won the League Cup and in truth, it is not a priority competition for the club this term, with the Cottagers determined to secure an automatic return to the top flight of English football.

The London club have also lost each of their last three matches against Leeds in all competitions, including defeats in their two Premier League meetings during the 2020-21 campaign. Leeds, meanwhile, booked their spot in this stage of the EFL Cup courtesy of a 3-0 home success over Crewe Alexandra, with Kalvin Phillips and Jack Harrison on the scoresheet at Elland Road. The Whites are still waiting for their first win of the 2021-22 Premier League season, though, having lost two and drawn three of their opening five matches, including the 1-1 draw against Newcastle United on Friday. Like Fulham, Leeds will not view the EFL Cup as a priority, but they have previous experience when it comes to this competition, winning the 1967-68 trophy and also finishing as runners-up in 1995-96.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Shackleton, Firpo, Dallas, Cresswell, Phillips, Klich, Summerville, James, Rodrigo, Roberts

Subs: Klaesson, Drameh, Hjelde, Forshaw, McKinstry, Gelhardt, Greenwood

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Fulham v Leeds Utd 3rd Round of the EFL Cup

Post by 1964white »

Two scratch teams, I suspect.

With possibly seven players unavailable, I wouldn't risk Meslier, Phillips, Cooper, Klich or Rodrigo.

The West Ham game is a priority, wouldn't be so important if we had 7 to 10 points on the board but right now we are in a precarious position, lose the hammers game & we could drop into the bottom three :(

Will Bielsa play a U23 team, bearing in mind the majority played only yesterday.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am Two scratch teams, I suspect.

With possibly seven players unavailable, I wouldn't risk Meslier, Phillips, Cooper, Klich or Rodrigo.

The West Ham game is a priority, wouldn't be so important if we had 7 to 10 points on the board but right now we are in a precarious position, lose the hammers game & we could drop into the bottom three :(

Will Bielsa play a U23 team, bearing in mind the majority played only yesterday.
It will be a mixture of both I reckon 64.
I expect Harrison (if available), James, Cooper (through necessity) Roberts, Shackleton and Firpo will all start. Summerville probably will as well if Harrison is still out.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

I think James and Firpo need the minutes to try and get some understanding.

Cooper plays because we have nobody else.

Do you give KK a go in goal maybe?

I would start Rodrigo because he needs a goal or something for his confidence.

So

Meslier
Drameh
Cresswell
Cooper
Firpo
KP
Summerville
James
Shacks
Gelhardt
Rodrigo.

That would be mine with possibly Klaesson in place of Meslier.

I think that would be a good lineup?

Lots of first team players so it isnt kids vs men but also gives our brightest prospects a chance.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

I agree that I'd love to see Gelhardt get his opportunity in this game, especially surrounded by some first team players to give him the opportunity to shine. You can see it in his games in the U23s, he has that something 'extra', be it confidence, physicality, and his ability to dribble and be direct; he frightens the hell out of the U23 defenders. In my opinion this is the perfect opportunity to see what he can do. Sadly, I don't expect him to play as he played a lot of minutes yesterday and also looked to have hurt his back with the reckless celebration by Drameh.

I think Bielsa will go with (this is not my preferred lineup btw):

Klaesson
Shackleton
Cresswell
Cooper
Firpo
Summerville
KP
Forshaw
James
Roberts
Rodrigo

Perhaps no KP and someone else in like Kenneh, as he's played a lot of minutes and we need to wrap him in cotton wool.

Subs, probably something like: Meslier, Greenwood, Gelhardt (if fit), Kenneh, Dallas, Klich, McKinstry, Llorente, Bate

I'd sooner have Gelhardt in Roberts' position but hey ho, unlikely
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Whilst I’d like a win and was hoping for a cup run this season our start hasn’t really afforded us the luxury. Best thing it does is use up one of struijk’s suspensions and gives some youngsters the chance to force themselves in to Bielsa’s plans.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Lumiukko wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:06 pm
Klaesson
Shackleton
Cresswell
Cooper
Firpo
Summerville
KP
Forshaw
James
Roberts
Rodrigo
I think you’ll be very close here Lumi, possible spot on the bench for McGurk.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Carrick Dave wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:44 pm I think you’ll be very close here Lumi, possible spot on the bench for McGurk.
Possible Dave, very hard to guess the subs for this one. Llorente has travelled but I am not sure will Bielsa risk him as a starter, but then the same could be said for Cooper. Either way I expect one of them to be on the bench and the other playing alongside Cresswell. McGurk or Bate would be my guess for that last bench spot, and I suspect it's a toss up. I excluded Drameh from the possible subs but in hindsight with it being his old stomping grounds, will probably be on the bench. All very intriguing nevertheless.

I am sure the biggest question on everyone's lips is will we see Gelhardt get some minutes? My honest feeling is no. He played a lot of minutes yesterday and possible hurt his back. Will be an anti-climax for many if we don't get to see what he can do.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:31 pm Whilst I’d like a win and was hoping for a cup run this season our start hasn’t really afforded us the luxury. Best thing it does is use up one of struijk’s suspensions and gives some youngsters the chance to force themselves in to Bielsa’s plans.
Totally agree :tup:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Koch, Bamford, Ayling, Struijk, Llorente and Harrison all expected or certain to be absent vs Fulham.

Adam Forshaw may make an appearance so thats midfield sorted apparently according to Radz (never has an injury increased a players reputation and contribution so much).

Surely even someone as stuck on the pecking order as MB will have no choice but to give 2 or 3 of the u23s a chance?
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:21 am Koch, Bamford, Ayling, Struijk, Llorente and Harrison all expected or certain to be absent vs Fulham.
Adam Forshaw may make an appearance so thats midfield sorted apparently according to Radz (never has an injury increased a players reputation and contribution so much).

Surely even someone as stuck on the pecking order as MB will have no choice but to give 2 or 3 of the u23s a chance?
Time not to risk Kalvin then as our midfield saviour gets his occasional runaround. ;-)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:30 am Time to not risk Kalvin then as our midfield saviour gets his occasional runaround. ;-)
Yes it will be nice to see our saviour tonight, and hopefully again next February.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 pm Yes it will be nice to see our saviour tonight, and hopefully again next February.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I don’t think Phillips will play tonight or at least I don’t think he should play. He never gets a chance to have a rest these days during the season, what with being the first name on the team sheet for Southgate, always playing the full ninety minutes, not to mention travelling all over Europe, as well as being indispensable for Leeds’ league matches. Give the lad a break, we will be the worse for it and may well lose tonight but the league is far more important this season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:03 pm I don’t think Phillips will play tonight or at least I don’t think he should play. He never gets a chance to have a rest these days during the season, what with being the first name on the team sheet for Southgate, always playing the full ninety minutes, not to mention travelling all over Europe, as well as being indispensable for Leeds’ league matches. Give the lad a break, we will be the worse for it and may well lose tonight but the league is far more important this season.
I certainly wouldn't play Kalvin tonight, makes total sense :tup:
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Agreed. I would like to see KP on the bench at best. Let's see what Forshaw can do and if he can stand up to the pace and physical needs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Shackleton
Firpo
Cresswell
Phillips
Dallas
Summerville
Klich
James
Roberts
Rodrigo
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Think we just might see young Joe starring tonight, no fear , will take em by suprise, then some other team will come and take him because MB won't pick him.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Looks like Firpo is playing CB
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2021-09-21 18.54.18.png