Lorry Driver shortage

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Lorry Driver shortage

Post by Broad Ford »

Same old story of a meme beginning it's journey from a mass media report and then travelling through millions of minds like a virus, gaining momentum the further it travels.

There is only one certainty in life and it's seeing is believing.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

hector wrote:I echo that Chilli...

Been shopping to Totton this morning, I pass 3 filling stations on the way.. The one by M27 J2 had no fuel, and no vehicles in a queue

Morrisons obviously has fuel as the queue was 3 miles down the A36 (well about 1.5 miles each direction), and the Esso at Totton Asda had no diesel. and queues up to 1 mile down the road...

All for 1 journo saying 5 filling stations were temp closed due to the driver shortage...

f**king press cause all these problems, soon the supermarket shelves will be empty as they cause panic buying of meat or eggs or summat else.....

Any jobs as lighthouse keeper going??
Did you forget your gun ? Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Fuel is so expensive these days I simply can't afford to drink it anymore, back t' meths for me. :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
hector

Post by hector »

BGwhite wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:43 pm Did you forget your gun ? Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk
I did.... :(

you know me so well :shock: 8-) 8-)
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Just driven back down from North Yorkshire to Leeds.

Topped up at the garage as we set off, no queues. No queues at any of the petrol stations on the way back down, no shortage of fuel at any of them. Media have hyped this up so much.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:29 pm Just driven back down from North Yorkshire to Leeds.

Topped up at the garage as we set off, no queues. No queues at any of the petrol stations on the way back down, no shortage of fuel at any of them. Media have hyped this up so much.
Media overhyped covid too.. but everyone was generally fine with that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
LeeBrook
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LeeBrook »

It isn't hard to work out, it's the same old story. Hauliers pay low wages and can't get Brits to work for peanuts so they'll be wanting their cheap East European monkeys back - it's the LibLabCon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

With the haulage industry themselves saying it could take weeks to get back to normal that's what's driving the rush to fill up cars and we need petrol. I can't work without it.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:04 pm With the haulage industry themselves saying it could take weeks to get back to normal that's what's driving the rush to fill up cars and we need petrol. I can't work without it.
If people had filled up as normal we wouldn't have a problem
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:22 pm If people had filled up as normal we wouldn't have a problem
Maybe, maybe not ... gas prices have gone through the roof and I've heard petrol could be next.. I advised my partner to fill up even though she works off a quarter of a tank.. It's just common sense to fill up and not get caught out out. If it comes to nothing then it won't matter
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

But it matters to people who are unfortunate enough not to get any don't you think?
The Mrs is a careworker so if there is no petrol no one gets their arsed wiped . Nevermind sure the sons and daughters will be fine filling in 🤣🤣🤣🤣
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:45 pm Maybe, maybe not ... gas prices have gone through the roof and I've heard petrol could be next.. I advised my partner to fill up even though she works off a quarter of a tank.. It's just common sense to fill up and not get caught out out. If it comes to nothing then it won't matter
But we wouldn't. Your partner would have been OK. It's not common sense to fill up when you wouldn't normally....there lies the problem.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

It is strange how little the B word is used...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tched-deal
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:58 am But we wouldn't. Your partner would have been OK. It's not common sense to fill up when you wouldn't normally....there lies the problem.
It's common sense if you think there may be an issue down the line. I've been caught out before by saying it'll all be fine regarding petrol. I didn't top up by the way, I filled up Tuesday

I wouldn't normally go to a doctor but if I think something maybe wrong I go and get it checked... That also often ends up being ok in the end.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Mountain wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:46 am It is strange how little the B word is used...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tched-deal
Yeah not sure why that is, you'd think Remain would be having a field day. A cleverer, more enlightened government would have made sure key workers would have been given the requisite visa straight away. National Health and Haulage should have been high on the list
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:28 am Yeah not sure why that is, you'd think Remain would be having a field day.
I guess "we told you so' never gets a good reaction.

Patel's threat to use food shortages to coerce Ireland into agreement seems particularly stupid now...
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brex ... -tjp7k76mq
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:25 am It's common sense if you think there may be an issue down the line. I've been caught out before by saying it'll all be fine regarding petrol. I didn't top up by the way, I filled up Tuesday

I wouldn't normally go to a doctor but if I think something maybe wrong I go and get it checked... That also often ends up being ok in the end.
I visit my 91 year old folks every 4 weeks (over 200 miles away). Dad is Mums carer, he has no help apart from us. No gardener, no cleaner no-one (his choice ), we do gardening, cleaning and help with Mum to give Dad a break. We usually fill up a few days before we go. Luckily we were there last week but I would hate to have to say to them "sorry we can't come up next week because we can't find any fuel anywhere, but there are cars full of fuel sitting on peoples drives", especially trying to explain it to Mum who counts down the days to our next visit.

If people hadn't panicked and rushed to fill up when normally they wouldn't, there wouldn't be this current shortage...is all I'm saying
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

I filled up this morning. Got up at 7.30 especially to get petrol. I had less than a quarter of a tank so decided to fill it right up. Got to my usual station, only one other car there, one pump completely out of everything, every other pump had no unleaded and no diesel just the Ultra unleaded so had to go for that. There's no way I want to be in a massive queue for petrol like the media keep portraying - they are literally fueling this "crisis".

:bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

They're is no shortage of fuel.
They're is no shortage of drivers to deliver the fuel.
Media hype has caused all the problems.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Haighy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:54 am They're is no shortage of fuel.
They're is no shortage of drivers to deliver the fuel.
Media hype has caused all the problems.
Your wasting your breath bud,whether it's bog roll, pasta or petrol now. People's only concern is for themselves .

As for brexit being the issue maybe so, but the gov only asked the question the populous made decision 🤔