Jimmy Savile BBC drama

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Jimmy Savile BBC drama

Post by whiteswan »

Steve Coogan is to play disgraced Jimmy Savile in a BBC drama.
Some say it's abhorrent to do such a thing and that families have suffered enough
Some say it's needed to show how he got away with such despicable acts

Thoughts? And will you watch it if it goes ahead?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Jimmy Saville BBC drama

Post by 1964white »

My Mum was a Sister at Leeds Infirmary at the time Savile was committing his horrific acts.

Mum would be turning in her grave if she was aware of the circumstances.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Jimmy Savile BBC drama

Post by Chilli D »

The Louis Theroux documentary pretty much covered everything about the horrific acts committed by Saville but I shall probably watch the Steve Coogan drama, out of interest to see how he plays him as much as anything.
Brave decision by him if you ask me.
Last edited by Chilli D on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Why should'nt he do it, just another role for good money, we've had the moors murders, fred & rose, rachel Mckee !!!(wimbledon girl) the train murders all very recently.
The Mrs will watch it, she's a nosey cow.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

It's a drama loosely based on true events.
However, just as in real life Jimmy hid in plain sight and now the BBC will continue to hide certain details in plain sight using drama.

My understanding is that Jimmy's job was to entrap cabinet ministers by inviting them to parties. Those that attended were then controlled by Thatcher for over a decade as Jimmy reportedly enjoyed 10 consecutive xmas dinners at Downing Street.

Lastly, Jimmy's behaviour was a kind of self perpetuating entrapment for himself. An entrapment with no escape. He knew it and once said that if he goes down then he'll take loads of others with him.
Hey you, out there on the road
Always doing what you're told
Can you help me?
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

The BBC were complicit in turning a blind eye and even aiding and abetting Savile's abhorent misdemeanors for years and then trying their best to cover the scandal up. The reason they are making the drama now, I suspect, will be to try and lay the blame for their inexcusable behaviour elsewhere, especially as the new Culture Secretary is known to be a TV licence sceptic and their comfortable little gravy train may well be about to hit the buffers.

Can't happen soon enough as far as I'm concerned, 22000 employees in a money wasting institution completely out of touch with its customers, most of them over paid and under worked - no I won't be watching!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Now then now then. Anything that highlights what he did and puts the BBC on the spot is welcome by me. Jim certainly fixed it for himself didn't he. Charity walks one week, staying in his flat above Broadmoor the next. I mean back then people would have trusted anyone who was mixing with the Royal family. Maybe he had a influence on Andrew? He's one of their own...He one of their own...
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Leeds1000 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:27 pm Now then now then. Anything that highlights what he did and puts the BBC on the spot is welcome by me. Jim certainly fixed it for himself didn't he. Charity walks one week, staying in his flat above Broadmoor the next. I mean back then people would have trusted anyone who was mixing with the Royal family. Maybe he had a influence on Andrew? He's one of their own...He one of their own...
My cousin who lives in Yorkshire always says "now then" when I phone him rather than hello. Must be a Yorkshire thing.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

It'll turn folks guts watching someone playing that sinister bast%rd Saville.
Maybe rhey should of asked Gary glitter to play the part...
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

I've loved Coogan in everything from Partridge to playing Stan Laurel but I won't be watching this. That the BBC themselves are making this is simply outrageous. Despicable really.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:09 pm My cousin who lives in Yorkshire always says "now then" when I phone him rather than hello. Must be a Yorkshire thing.
Having left Yorkshire many years ago, nar then is one phrase that i still use in text. I am not sure the middle classes would understand it tho. :) ;-)