The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 11th October) - Gear up for a major midfield addition

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 11th October) - Gear up for a major midfield addition

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 11th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

'Gear up for a major midfield addition'

Leeds Utd journalist Phil Hay believes Leeds are gearing up for a major new addition in midfield, but will have to wait until next Summer to make it happen! Whilst he agrees that Leeds are light in midfield, they will only turn to the January transfer window if they are struggling near the bottom of the top flight, come the new year!

I’m not convinced the club will do much in January unless the league position is causing acute concern. Victor Orta has long seen the mid-season window as offering poor value for money and the club are less and less convinced that January arrivals work for Marcelo Bielsa. From my perspective, if the season is in hand at the turn of the year, then I’d hold off and gear up for a major midfield addition when the season ends. I think we can all see that it has to be done.

Long wait for redevelopment plans at ER

Any hope of pressing on with plans to redevelop Elland Road into a 55,000 all-seater stadium have been benched until the end of the season, only partly due to relevant planning permission being approved. This will be frustrating for over 20,000 fans, on the waiting list for a season ticket! The news was delivered by Phil Hay, who replied to a fan saying it was 'most likely' that Leeds would wait until top flight football was secured for another season before pressing ahead with the clubs ambitious plan! Hay went on to say...

Planning and so on is still at a very early stage. There’s a definite commitment to expanding to 55,000-plus by redeveloping the north, west and south stands but it’s a major project and it won’t happen in a flash. The last time Angus Kinnear spoke about it, he indicated that the process would begin in earnest at the end of this season — not the actual building work but the process itself.

Realistically, expansion has to be done. The waiting list for season tickets is massive (more than 20,000) and Leeds think that with a stadium twice the size, they can bump their annual revenue over £250 million. They’re doing very well on one commercial front this season — shirt sales will be not far off 300,000. Peter Lowy (who joined the Leeds board in June) was in the directors’ box for the West Ham game and is very much involved, particularly on the stadium redevelopment side.

Opportunity for Shackleton following Ayling surgery

Luke Ayling has undergone knee surgery, and is expected to be sidelined for six weeks. The 30yo was injured during the latter stages of the 1-1 draw at St James Park just over three weeks ago. On a brighter note, it will give Jamie Shackleton a sustained run in the team, and an opportunity to shine. Unfortunately, the likes of Cresswell, Gelhardt and Summerville will have to make do with bit parts this season as Phil Hay explains:-

I asked this question about Charlie Cresswell last week, with Llorente and Pascal Struijk returning from injury and suspension. Bielsa said that ideally, he’d prefer to put the pressure on the more experienced players (which is why Llorente started against Watford despite Cresswell playing well in the two previous matches).

For players like Joe Gelhardt, Crysencio Summerville, etc it will probably be bit-part roles. But looking at Jamie Shackleton in the past two games, perhaps the door might open for him at right-back now, especially with Luke Ayling undergoing surgery on his knee. In terms of who is developing well, Lewis Bate is really catching the eye. As Bielsa said, he can thread a needle with his passing.

VinnysTattoo
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 11th October) 'Gear up for a major midfield addition'

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Well, there’s no doubt we need a huge step up in our midfield and it should have been, if only partly sorted, in the last closed season.

The midfield is the key in any team and especially given the way we play.

The half empty part of me says is next Summer too late? The half full part of me says we are getting back to something like last season and Klich and Dallas can only get better. Hopefully Bate may get a chance at some point.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 11th October) 'Gear up for a major midfield addition'

Post by Carrick Dave »

If Bate is fast-tracked into the first team squad between now and May he might just be the player we need, he certainly looks to have the skills.

If, as might happen given Marcelo’s reluctance to put pressure on young talent too early, he remains part of the U23 setup, we would have to go out and spend many millions on a midfielder.

I wonder how Bate would feel about someone being brought in ahead of him when the opportunity is there for him to progress?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Adam Forshaw's new contract I presume? 🤔

No point gearing up for the summer if we're in the Championship. We need someone in in January.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

You get the feeling that Bielsa relpies on experience and that he is reluctant to give youth a chance. This is not true. Here is a list of teens that he has given a go, and there are others since this article was written namely Cresswell and Geldhardt... though many of those who have featured have moved on.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... ed-debuts/
Scoobychief
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Scoobychief »

next summer are you serious, when raph and phillips have gone should have happened allready this midfielder.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Scoobychief wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:37 am next summer are you serious, when raph and phillips have gone should have happened allready this midfielder.
May not be the case, Scooby

All media hype atm.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:34 am You get the feeling that Bielsa relpies on experience and that he is reluctant to give youth a chance. This is not true. Here is a list of teens that he has given a go, and there are others since this article was written namely Cresswell and Geldhardt... though many of those who have featured have moved on.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... ed-debuts/
Interesting to see how many have moved on and weren't as good as many fans seemed to suggest - or certainly seems that way given where they have ended up.
Senor El Weasel
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 11th October) - Gear up for a major midfield addition

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning,
does seem odd that we wait until the summer and not try Bate or Allen in the meantime. As has been said where does that leave them next season? As loaners?
Then there is Bogusz who would be nearing the end of contract.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 11th October) - Gear up for a major midfield addition

Post by Cjay »

The club got it wrong in the summer, they had an opportunity to build on a very impressive season, to take advantage of FFP being relaxed and to really push on.

They failed and recruited poorly and neglected a key area of the pitch (midfield) next summer may be to late and players like KP and Raph may not be willing to wait until next summer.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Summer seems the right time to strengthen. We're not getting top 4 in the next 5 years unless something radically changes, and we're not getting relegated...
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
mentalcase
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mentalcase »

Bate for me must be given a chance, the lad is doing very well, maybe 30 minutes here and there, then , when Klitch or Dallas are out injured / suspended, he can hopefully come in with more experience under his belt and take his chance.
Oh no, I forgot, he has Marcelos pet project Roberts coming on regularly doing nothing, keeping the team from progressing.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:24 amwe're not getting relegated...
Famous last words...

I dunno why so many think we're not in danger. We can't score and we have no midfield. Can't rely on scraping 1-0s every week.
BGwhite
Manager
Manager

Post by BGwhite »

mentalcase wrote:Bate for me must be given a chance, the lad is doing very well, maybe 30 minutes here and there, then , when Klitch or Dallas are out injured / suspended, he can hopefully come in with more experience under his belt and take his chance.
Oh no, I forgot, he has Marcelos pet project Roberts coming on regularly doing nothing, keeping the team from progressing.
Absolutely spot on !

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

The next four games will show where we're at. All potentially winnable games and if we get at least 6 points from those, I think we'll be fine.
I cannot bring myself to believe we can't finish above three teams this season, namely Norwich, Watford and Burnley.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Players like Bate will stop joining us if they don't get a chance. He didn't join us for u23s and loans.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

This mooted "pathway" doesn't exist. The poster boy Struijk is now back with the u23s and won't play except for injuries.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

We are too predictable. I'd love especially to see Gelhardt get some first team action, especially with Bamford injured.

A lot of people are suggesting that Dramah is better than Shackleton!

Give Bate 30 mins here and here, and take either Dallas or Struijk off to keep them fresh.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

SG90 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:35 am Famous last words...

I dunno why so many think we're not in danger. We can't score and we have no midfield. Can't rely on scraping 1-0s every week.
Guess what, every time I've posted them since 2006 we've not gotten relegated... So I'm running at 100% at the moment
Last edited by faaip on Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:50 am We are too predictable. I'd love especially to see Gelhardt get some first team action, especially with Bamford injured.

A lot of people are suggesting that Dramah is better than Shackleton!

Give Bate 30 mins here and here, and take either Dallas or Struijk off to keep them fresh.
I'd like to see Jamie in CM, where he belongs! But MB doesn't think so...