The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th October) - Shackleton deserves more game time

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th October) - Shackleton deserves more game time

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 13th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Shackleton deserves more game time

As Jamie Shackleton latched on Tyler Robert’s ball and slid it home against Derby for his first league goal in our penultimate league game on the 2019-2020 season you might have been forgiven for expecting big things from Shackleton last season. But it was never quite to be. Uncertain of his best position - is he a right back, is he a midfielder - and with injury issue plaguing him his options were limited. But this season has seen Shackleton given and taken his oportunity. With Luke Ayling out of form and injured, Shackleton has the chance to make the right back spot his own.

If there was one player at Elland Road that deserves more game time, its Jamie Shackleton. That is the opinion of Leeds Utd journalist Phil Hay He went on to say that the 22 yo 'creases in his game would no doubt be ironed out by an extended run of starts'. According to Hay...

Jamie Shackleton is at a pivotal stage of his career. He has been on the scene throughout Marcelo Bielsa’s time as manager but he is 22, this is his fourth season as a first-team player and his league starts are only just into double figures. He has appeared from the bench countless times but it sometimes feels as if he is forever trapped on the fringes.

Injuries haven’t helped him and neither has the consistency of Bielsa’s team. Even allowing for a slow start this season, Leeds’ starting line-up has been incredibly difficult to break into when everyone is fit and, after 149 games in charge, Bielsa has a win ratio of 51 per cent. On that basis, it is difficult to argue with his selection policy.

Shackleton, though, is one of the most energetic runners in the squad, a brave and adaptable footballer who would prefer to play in the centre of midfield but has done good turns for Bielsa at right-back, particularly in the club’s last match against Watford. His touch is sound, he can pick a pass, he has excellent stamina.

England missed Phillips influence

If there was ever a need to demonstrate how influential Kalvin Phillips performances have been for the three Lions, last night's 1-1 draw against Hungary at Wembley Stadium was the perfect example. The Yorkshire Pirlo was sidelined from International duty with a minor calf strain; and missed the matches against Andorra and Hungary.

Following their 5-0 demolition of European minnows Andorra, many were excited to see a midfield trio of Rice, Foden and Mount together for the first time. Unfortunately though, they lacked the strength and defensive dominance Phillips brings to the table, as England found out last night. Had the visitors been more ruthless up front, they could have embarrassed Gareth Southgate's men!

Be careful what you wish for!

Jimmy Savile chants need to stop - Hay

Former radio and kids TV presenter Jimmy Savile died 10 years ago this month, and although the eccentric larger than life character raised £40m for good causes, he was harbouring a dark secret that would only come to light after his death. Whilst will never truly know the extent of his deprived actions, his memory lives on for the wrong reasons. Football fans are generally not known for their tact; if they can find a way to insult one another they will. Leeds fans receive their fair share of abuse; whether relating to the murders of Chris Loftus and Kevin Speight, association with Savile or similar. Some Leeds fans actually dress up as Savile, just to get a reaction! Phil Hay believes the football authorities should take action to stamp it out...

I wrote about this when I was at the Yorkshire Evening Post (and I should have addressed it earlier than I did). They’ve gone on far too long and it’s disappointing to hear the chants again because they did seem to be dying out in the Championship. It’s not just an issue for Leeds. You’ve got other fanbases singing about him too and it seems odd to me that the authorities pay no attention to it. Easier to turn a blind eye, I suppose. But it does need to stop. Likewise chants about Istanbul and Munich.

Is Hay right? Does this need addressing, or is it harmless banter you'll always get on the terraces? Millions of people spend hundreds of pounds each week following their club, surely if they are not breaking any laws, they should be able to let off steam on a Saturday afternoon! What about families though? Young and old should be able to attend games, without fear of rowdy behaviour or inexplicable language! Where do you stand?

mentalcase
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th October) Jimmy Savile chants need to stop - Hay

Post by mentalcase »

Agree, Shacks needs more time in first team, no better time imo, Ayling is injured and Dallas is not at his best, Shack attack for me.
I said in another thread last neet, England missed Pjillips, leaving gaping holes in midfield and hid England partner Rice too exposed.
Football fans will always chant derogatory things to each other, it wont stop anytime soon unless the is a law that comes in like the one to eliminate sectarian chanting in Scotland.
I was in Turkey that fateful night, I don't like the songs against us, but, we are no angels, remember munich etc, some fans grow up, an awful lot don't.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th October) Jimmy Savile chants need to stop - Hay

Post by faaip »

A few players deserve more game time to be fair, Shack, Cresswell, Geldherdt, Summerville, Struijk even Roberts, ignoring the boo boys and playing well when called upon but who deserves less game. Klich for the most part is playing at least as well as Shack plus he's rounding back into the "watch the game" form

Kalvin is maybe England's best payer at the moment, with power to add. I think he and Grealish are the first two on the teamsheet..

The Saville chants need to stop but won't. Mob mentality is a hard think to break... Speaking of which I kinda hope the Hungarian fans find themselves in hot water soon after that run in with the police at the stadium....
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Firpo- Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

IMG_20211013_135731.jpg
There is more than a hint in the Crown Tv series that Savile was involved with the Royals... nudge nudge wink wink Prince Andew... say no more
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

How do you stop several thousand people suddenly bursting into a song or chant?
It isn't possible.
It should stop but it won't.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Shacks.

Deserves it? Yes

Will it happen? Depends on injuries because pecking order.

Do prefer him in midfield though, MB does love to overcomplicate things, Dallas right bacm, Shacks cm, simple.

England.

Didnt watch it, cant comment.

Chants

Are an embarrassment sang by embarrassments, but what can you do?

Unless you identify and ban them then not much.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Shacks should get an extended run in CM. He has great energy, a great touch, very composed and can instigate attacks.

I would say exactly the same about Lewis Bate.

The one negative for both of them is lack of stature and physical presence. But that should be less of an issue at this level, other than when we encounter this Burnley thugs.

So move Dallas to right back, and if he's still not right give him a break as he's never getting one, especially with full minutes for Northern Ireland every other week.

The Jimmy Saville chants are disgusting and unforgivable, but how do you stop it. It's usually instigated by the opposing fans and then our lot respond.

If people are still chanting the Munich stuff they should be banned for life, same as Millwall or Scum with their Istanbul flags and chants.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I watched bits of the England match and it was boring as hell.

It wouldn't matter how much talent you threw at Southgate he's never gonna fashion a side, or tactics that are capable of winning at that level.

You might as well put Gobby, or one of the Talksport clowns in charge, they've as much nous as Southgate.

He's had enough time and resources available to produce success but failed, cos he ain't up to the job. Which calls into question why he was appointed in the first place?

Gotta be the FA's fault. They have rarely got a managerial appointment correct: Ramsey, Robson and Venables are the only good ones I can think of.
rab_rant
Superstar
Superstar

Post by rab_rant »

I heard there was great rejoicing in your household when Scotland had a late winner against the mighty Faroe Islands... damn that astro turf
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:01 pm The Jimmy Saville chants are disgusting and unforgivable, but how do you stop it. It's usually instigated by the opposing fans and then our lot respond.

If people are still chanting the Munich stuff they should be banned for life, same as Millwall or Scum with their Istanbul flags and chants.
Agree J :tup:

I look around at our fans singing these horrible songs & it's generally 40yo + blokes chanting them, weird especially as they have kids & grandchildren of their own. To be honest they give an impression there is not a lot going on between their ears!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:28 pm Agree J :tup:

I look around at our fans singing these horrible songs & it's generally 40yo + blokes chanting them, weird especially as they have kids & grandchildren of their own. To be honest they give an impression there is not a lot going on between their ears!
Yeah, it's pathetic mate. Plenty do that stuff with their kids and grandkids present. So obviously the kids just think that's the example they should follow from the people they look to for direction in life :oops:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:39 pm Yeah, it's pathetic mate. Plenty do that stuff with their kids and grandkids present. So obviously the kids just think that's the example they should follow from the people they look to for direction in life :oops:
We live in a strange, despairing society especially here in the UK.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:48 pm We live in a strange, despairing society especially here in the UK.
I know mate, I think most parents see mobile phones/gadgets as very capable substitute parents :(
Leeds1000
First Team
First Team

Post by Leeds1000 »

Shackleton deserves more game time:

He did look to be enjoying himself against a piss poor Watford. There will be tougher tests to come no doubt but for now it would seem that rb spot is his to lose. He needs a break thru season he has waited long enough and is in danger of stagnating here at Leeds.

England missed Phillips influence:

That partnership is a solid one for England in midfield, they compliment each other really well. Its what got us to the Final, and if the forward lads are on their game we can break and score goals. I didn't watch the England game, if Phillips was playing i may have done, it sounded poor.

Jimmy Savile chants need to stop:

Its looking more and more likely that football stadiums will become the last bastions of real free speech as everything else is being cancelled and self policed, who has ever been to a Chubby Brown concert? We can call ourselves relics of a age gone by in the name of humour. Saville was vile and a sick pervert. I revisited the documentary again the other week and forgot the extent of his victims and like most things i bet there were plenty more that didn't come forward.

I remember Ian Holloway calling the Millwall fans disgusting for doing it. Its part of the game to wind fans up, the Munich chants the Dave Jones chants were vile. One thing we know about football fans its like naughty kids if you tell them no... they will do it louder the next time. If i was being silly you could argue that it keeps those abhorrent incidents alive in the consciousness so they are never forgotten, of course i am not sure the victims will agree. Once facial recognition arrives it may stop it..... along with lots of other freedom.

Its the end of the world as we knew it. :shhh:
Broad Ford
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Broad Ford »

Savile's name should be kept alive and never forgotten along with all of his crimes. The trouble is people dare not discuss Savile's entirety through fear of persecution, so keeping Savile's name alive ensures that maybe one day we might be able to publicly discuss him, his motives and those who acted as his guardians. Until then I say keep Savile and his crimes alive so the public never ever forget this sick and depraved relic of democracy.
hector

Post by hector »

Broad Ford wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:55 pm Savile's name should be kept alive and never forgotten along with all of his crimes. The trouble is people dare not discuss Savile's entirety through fear of persecution, so keeping Savile's name alive ensures that maybe one day we might be able to publicly discuss him, his motives and those who acted as his guardians. Until then I say keep Savile and his crimes alive so the public never ever forget this sick and depraved relic of democracy.
That is a very interesting perspective mate... One I must admit I hadn't thought of

Hmmm I think I agree with you..... :shock: :shock:

:)
DILLIGAF??
LeeBrook
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LeeBrook »

These chants are really sick and far more offensive than all the 'wacist' nonsense we're being indoctrinated with.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »