How much trouble are we in?/interesting Square Ball podcast

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: How much trouble are we in?

Post by Mountain »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am Isn’t it a sad reflection that this year we are talking about ourselves in the company of Southampton and Burnley whereas last year we were talking about Everton and Spurs ☹️
It was an incredible season. We've had a reality check. We are near the bottom of the Premier League in the wage bill, and it should be absolutely no surprise that the team is near the bottom of the Premier League in standings. However, if there was one manager and group of players to achieve more than the sum of their parts, it's this manager and players. When he goes, reality may well kick in again but for the time being we just gotta hope he keeps performing miracles.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:02 am So what's the answer?
All of us are pointing out what we believe to be wrong but the squad we have is the squad we have until January at least.
The January transfer window is notoriously difficult to get quality players in so the players we have right now will probably be the ones that have to get us out of this slump we're in.
So I ask the question- what's the answer?
Good old fashioned panic :)

Much typing on here :)

If it was me (and i realise MB is far better qualified and whatnot) but if it was me

1) Lessen the man to man system, dont get rid, just lessen it (none of this ridiculousness of our cbs following opposition strikers to the right wing 20 yards in our half). Selective pressing whilst maintaining a decent shape. For example if its Wolves and Connor Coady has the ball edge of his box, leave him be. Man mark Neves, Moutinho and cut off his passing option to Traore. If Jimenez, Podence , Hwang want to leave their attacking position to come inside their own half and receive the ball from Coady then let them, dont go with them. They are no threat 20 yards inside their half, the threat are the players further forward who we are still man marking . See what i mean? Selective pressing in certain areas. Once the man on the ball passes the half way line and gets close to a man marked player (say Coady comes forward and is now level with Neves who Klich is marking, then Klich presses Coady, that way Coady either goes sideways to Neves or backwards to Saiss for example (he cant go forwards because the attacking players are man marked in a tight organised shape)

2) Drop players who are in prolonged poor form. Realise this isnt easy with our tiny squad but you cant just keep playing player devoid of confidence and form, it does them no good. Dallas, Roberts, Rodrigo, it simply isnt working. So left back Leo Hjelde (until Firpo returns) cm id go Bate and striker Gelhardt. Show some faith in the kids, maybe it won't work but often when things arent going well the fearlessness of kids can rejuvenate a team. Or move Raph into cm and try Summerville wide right.

3) Change formation on occasion, go more defensive, play 2 holding mids.

Just my ideas but those are the things id try.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:40 pm Good old fashioned panic :)

If it was me (and i realise MB is far better qualified and whatnot) but if it was me

1) Lessen the man to man system, dont get rid, just lessen it (none of this ridiculousness of our cbs following opposition strikers to the right wing 20 yards in our half). Selective pressing whilst maintaining a decent shape. For example if its Wolves and Connor Coady has the ball edge of his box, leave him be. Man mark Neves, Moutinho and cut off his passing option to Traore. If Jimenez, Podence , Hwang want to leave their attacking position to come inside their own half and receive the ball from Coady then let them, dont go with them. They are no threat 20 yards inside their half, the threat are the players further forward who we are still man marking . See what i mean? Selective pressing in certain areas. Once the man on the ball passes the half way line and gets close to a man marked player (say Coady comes forward and is now level with Neves who Klich is marking, then Klich presses Coady, that way Coady either goes sideways to Neves or backwards to Saiss for example (he cant go forwards because the attacking players are man marked in a tight organised shape)

2) Drop players who are in prolonged poor form. Realise this isnt easy with our tiny squad but you cant just keep playing player devoid of confidence and form, it does them no good. Dallas, Roberts, Rodrigo, it simply isnt working. So left back Leo Hjelde (until Firpo returns) cm id go Bate and striker Gelhardt. Show some faith in the kids, maybe it won't work but often when things arent going well the fearlessness of kids can rejuvenate a team. Or move Raph into cm and try Summerville wide right.

Logical process, but cats don't change their habits.

As I said.....no Plan B.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

4 players missing are certs for the starting line up (Phillips, Bamford, Raphina & Ayling), the come in to replace our weakest 4 and yes it makes a big difference. Those players are leaders/characters who bring the best out of others.
Would like to say the same about Koch & Firpo but the jury is still out whether they improve us.

Against Southampton we defo under performed even with the players that did play, you sually get a couple underperform but we had 4 or 5 something you can't afford but it happens to all teams occasionally. Occasionally is the key word and If we see a repeat this week i think we can worry but personally i expect a positive reaction.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Well thought out answer and I agree, particularly with point 2.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Orange Box wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 am Isn’t it a sad reflection that this year we are talking about ourselves in the company of Southampton and Burnley whereas last year we were talking about Everton and Spurs ☹️
Well, the people who compared us with Everton and Spurs were getting a bit carried away.
And if you look at recent history, Southampton and Burnley are established Premier League clubs. Leeds are not.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

WestgateRun wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:50 pm Well, the people who compared us with Everton and Spurs were getting a bit carried away.
And if you look at recent history, Southampton and Burnley are established Premier League clubs. Leeds are not.
We finished above Everton on goal difference & three points below Spurs last season.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

What are they saying on Waccoe? Just curious
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:44 pm What are they saying on Waccoe? Just curious
The same I guess Swannie, just as many fans are saying on the BBC site.

Btw Swannie, Ges sends his regards to you :love:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:10 pm The same I guess Swannie, just as many fans are saying on the BBC site.

Btw Swannie, Ges sends his regards to you :love:
I expect so...

That's nice, please say hi to ges for me next time you speak to him :)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:10 am The same Southampton who outran and outpressed Man City to get a point at the Etihad, and who outran and outpressed Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and probably would have got a point had JWP not been sent off. Their main issue has been their inability in scoring goals. Unfortunately they got one yesterday. One that was straight out of the Bielsa playbook. They should be commended for their performance rather than automatically thinking that we should beat them.

Every season since Bielsa arrived, we have chucked in performances that have been way off of Bielsa's demands. Our now regular embarrassment at Old Trafford, Wigan in his first season, Forest in his second, Brighton (Home and Away) last season. We have recovered spectacularly from those so far. I have faith that yesterday was a blip (especially with 6 of our first team 18 unavailable.)

Yesterday (and Scum) aside, I don't believe that we have played too badly, this season, and with better finishing we should have beaten both Newcastle and Burnley. We went toe to toe with Everton and West Ham, and should have been out of sight against Watford. Let's see where we are at Christmas, where league placings are more relevant on where you will end up. Saying that, last season at Christmas, we still had people on here worrying that Fulham were going to catch us, when we were in 15th.
We shall see, well put across view .

That being said Southampton fans didn't agree with your assessment, if you read their forum pre match they were very disappointed and expecting a battering.

I dont think we have played very well, certainly apart from Watford absolutely didn't deserve 3 points in any of the matches and could have lost them all.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Which completely negates Bielsa's high press ,winning the the ball high up the pitch to initiate attacks.

I agree with what your saying myself though.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:35 pm I expect so...

That's nice, please say hi to ges for me next time you speak to him :)
Will do with pleasure tomorrow :tup:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:23 pm Will do with pleasure tomorrow :tup:
Give him my regards too, and tell him that the racing thread is missing him.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:23 pm Will do with pleasure tomorrow :tup:
Thanks Leon :)
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Just read from Opta that Southampton outrun Leeds by 3 km. First time in the premier League that a team has done that to Leeds.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:07 am Just read from Opta that Southampton outrun Leeds by 3 km. First time in the premier League that a team has done that to Leeds.

It's been obvious all season we have lost a yard of pace.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:28 pm Give him my regards too, and tell him that the racing thread is missing him.
Will do :tup:

We are three down atm, four when the young lady doesn't play.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

rab_rant wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:07 am Just read from Opta that Southampton outrun Leeds by 3 km. First time in the premier League that a team has done that to Leeds.

So super fit Ross Barkley with 36 minutes game time is the answer !!
Couldn't make it up.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Don't see what the problem is, he'll be fully fit by April

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk