The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th October) - Disappointing performance sees Leeds pointless at St Mary’s

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th October) - Disappointing performance sees Leeds pointless at St Mary’s

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mountain wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:39 pm There's also the problem that sacking him would be completely and utterly insane, a manager who many pundits said was the best in the top flight last season sacked 8 games later with an injury hit squad.

It would be the ultimate in classless and clueless behaviour from a club.
Im sure if Radz gave one us us 160m over 2 seasons......
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th October) - Disappointing performance sees Leeds pointless at St Mary’s

Post by Ellandback1 »

Mountain wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:39 pm There's also the problem that sacking him would be completely and utterly insane, a manager who many pundits said was the best in the top flight last season sacked 8 games later with an injury hit squad.

It would be the ultimate in classless and clueless behaviour from a club.
Im sure if Radz gave one us us 160m over 2 seasons......
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:35 pm Im sure if Radz gave one us us 160m over 2 seasons......
Villa spent that in one season to stay up. And still needed an awful VAR decision to get over the line.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

One of our biggest issues is not having given the young talented players we have any meaningful game time previously. I can imagine MB eventually and very reluctantly bit the bullet against Southampton because there was simply no other rationale choice when what is on the park is effectively pants.

But expecting young players to come on with 10 - 15 mins to go achieves nothing for them. No chance of getting into the game. It was diabolical game management. Harrison is like Dallas currently his form has gone, Roberts cannot play at this level currently and Klich just never does enough for me unless we are comfortably on top. Those players account for about 60% of our midfield options. That is why we are currently near the bottom. The defence is better than last year but facing far more flak. He must turn to Bates in the absence of KP and that is a very sad situation.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

You can't keep flogging a dead horse.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:19 am If we had to play a defensive midfielder, it should have been Llorente, with Struijk partnering Cooper at centre back, but in all honesty, this is how I would have played.

------------------------Meslier---------------------------
Shacks ------Llorente------Struijk----------James
Summerville-----Klich------Dallas------Harrison
-----------------Rodrigo------Gelhardt---------------

Klich and Dallas have a good understanding together.

James has the energy, speed and ability to run up and down the line all day.

James and Harrison overlapping would have caused Southampton lots of trouble.

Playing 4-1-4-1, we are reliant on our full backs getting forward. Shaks and Dallas are not as strong bombing down the wings.
I take your point on James and it would be an interesting experiment, but that would invite the same complaints that dogged Alioski, that he was a crap defender. James I fear would’ve no different, but I for one would like to see it. Can you imagine him running in from nowhere, defenders would kak themselves
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I'm pretty sure Bielsa is in no danger of being sacked at the moment and, in my opinion, rightly so. The man is still a legend as far as I'm concerned and so long as he is happy to stay then that's OK by me. I believe he will know himself when it's time for him to go.

But by the same token we as fans (who are prepared to spend a lot of our hard earned cash to buy tickets, merchandise etc.) should have the right to criticise the players, the Manager and/or the Management when we feel the need, and after that performance against Southampton I'm not surprised many on here do feel the need.

I'm also sure that Bielsa himself would not be the least bit surprised by and indeed would expect criticism after that game, we all know he is his own biggest critic.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:51 pm One of our biggest issues is not having given the young talented players we have any meaningful game time previously. I can imagine MB eventually and very reluctantly bit the bullet against Southampton because there was simply no other rationale choice when what is on the park is effectively pants.

But expecting young players to come on with 10 - 15 mins to go achieves nothing for them. No chance of getting into the game. It was diabolical game management. Harrison is like Dallas currently his form has gone, Roberts cannot play at this level currently and Klich just never does enough for me unless we are comfortably on top. Those players account for about 60% of our midfield options. That is why we are currently near the bottom. The defence is better than last year but facing far more flak. He must turn to Bates in the absence of KP and that is a very sad situation.
Really well said!!!!!

There is absolutely no reason why Gelhardt could not have started on Saturday. It was Broja's first start for the Saints (the goal scorer), and last season he was playing for Chelsea's U23's.

It's not ideal, but Leeds didn't see the need to have two strikers at the club, and at least Gelhardt is a natural goalscorer, Rodrigo isn't! Rodrigo should have where Roberts was, and Roberts should have been 450 miles away.

Having a midfield a central midfield pairing of Rodrigo and Klich would have worked so much better.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 am Doing the same again, and again, and again.

Watch this, and tell me it doesn't remind you of Bielsa!

And of course doing something different would 100% guarantee a win. Time and time again it has been said that Bielsa's systems gets the best out of the players, yet when we lose supposedly a different system would make all our players world beaters?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:35 pm Im sure if Radz gave one us us 160m over 2 seasons......
We'd have done 10 times worse
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

weasel wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:53 pm And of course doing something different would 100% guarantee a win. Time and time again it has been said that Bielsa's systems gets the best out of the players, yet when we lose supposedly a different system would make all our players world beaters?
Well there's a reason his trophy cabinet is pretty sparse.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:13 pm Well for all the concern Leicester is well on its way to selling out.

I have been in the Q since 1pm and I dont think I will get in
Our friend Ges missed out on a Leicester ticket, as he already has a couple of times this season.

Ges spent £105 on membership cards for him & his son, the majority of our fans will be lucky to get to a game.

Ges is fuming & has e.mailed Angus Kinnear, can't see my old mate receiving a reply.

Apparently 50,000 fans joined up on the membership scheme, LUFC must be making £3 /£4 million out of what can only be described as a scam.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Just got caught up on all the threads regarding Saturday's game...a game I missed but recorded and have since decided to just delete from the DVR/catchup.

Having not watched it, I cannot comment all that much, but it would seem to me that we're in the shyte with all the injuries and a small squad. With our glaring need for two midfielders (both a DM/CM and a AM) and since Bate isn't going to get a look-in, what's the club going to do? Spend big in the January transfer window, and if so who? What about Bogusz, he's been playing well from what I've heard/seen; can we recall him?

I'm not calling for Bielsa's head at all; and IMO a settled situation is probably our best way out this. But certainly he's going to need to accept more flexibility in his approach, both in strategy, formation, subs, and the size of his squad.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:24 pm So go back to Christmas / New wear the season before last, shipping goals at one end due to a joke keeper and Bamford firing blanks at the other.

I wonder how many demanded change then ( It as was a transfer window )

Recall how it ended?

Also Bielsa DOES change things on the pitch, just sometimes many don't understand the subtleties ( if they even bother to watch it)
It is always the way when things arent going well to forget what we have at Leeds.
Living in the past Ian ?
Also, why are we having the same discussion as season before last !
Could it be we haven't learnt, Bielsa' refusal to change ?
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:14 pm Living in the past Ian ?
Also, why are we having the same discussion as season before last !
Could it be we haven't learnt, Bielsa' refusal to change ?
The amount of complaining has been the same and Bielsa and his decisions were vindicated then
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:30 pm Our friend Ges missed out on a Leicester ticket, as he already has a couple of times this season.

Ges spent £105 on membership cards for him & his son, the majority of our fans will be lucky to get to a game.

Ges is fuming & has e.mailed Angus Kinnear, can't see my old mate receiving a reply.

Apparently 50,000 fans joined up on the membership scheme, LUFC must be making £3 /£4 million out of what can only be described as a scam.
Annnd to add to the fun Leeds just changed the DAY of the Brentford game so my the price I paid for flights for two of us has just disappeared into the ether...
I can cancel the hotel ok but will lose £200 on the flights

Not a happy bunny
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:48 pm Annnd to add to the fun Leeds just changed the DAY of the Brentford game so my the price I paid for flights for two of us has just disappeared into the ether...

Not a happy bunny
Must proper piss you off that Ian, I know a few from on t' continent, they have the same problem pal, book early flights for best prices only for the game to be switched after :evil:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:30 pm Our friend Ges missed out on a Leicester ticket, as he already has a couple of times this season.

I actually got on to the Leeds site after 50 minutes, I wasnt after a ticket I was just interested in seeing how smoothly it went.

I was able to find three single tickets in different parts of the ground, all with obstructed viewing.

If that is true about the membership scheme that is shocking, not with the number but with the fact that they had a deadline to close it but kept it open past that knowing full well that it was decreasing members chances of a ticket.

Ironically my best chance of seeing a game is away to Everton where I can get in the blue end
'
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:48 pm Annnd to add to the fun Leeds just changed the DAY of the Brentford game so my the price I paid for flights for two of us has just disappeared into the ether...

Not a happy bunny
That's awful Ian. Any idea why Leeds have changed the game? Usually its SKY, BT or Amazon who dictate fixtures :duno:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Not a happy bunny
I'm not surprised you are unhappy, Ian :(