Arsenal v Leeds Match Thread - Four changes as Phillips returns and Drameh makes debut

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Arsenal v Leeds Match Thread - Four changes as Phillips returns and Drameh makes debut

Post by Ellandback1 »

EFL Cup 4th Round
Tuesday 26th October 7:45pm | Emirates Stadium

A midweek trip to North London stands between Leeds and a place in the last eight of the Carabao Cup, but only if they can overcome Arsenal. With a must win league trip at Carrow Road next Saturday, Marcelo Bielsa may have chosen to reward Gelhardt and Summerville for their cameo roles at the weekend with rare starts but instead they make the bench. Cody Dramah is handed his Leeds debut though and the others are sure to play some part of the 4th round clash.

There is still no sign of Junior Firpo but Kalvin Phillips is fit to play. Raphinha took a knock midway through the second half of the Wolves clash and though has reassured Leeds fans he's fine Tyler Robert’s will replace him at No 10. Adam Foreshaw comes in to replace Mateusz Klich whilst Pascal Struijk drops back into defence in place of Liam Cooper.

The hosts have dragged themselves into the top half of the table after a poor start to their campaign, and are unbeaten in the last six games. In the previous rounds of the competition, Mikel Arteta's team put six past West Brom, and three past Wimbledon, both without reply. They have a Senior squad of 26, without having to dip into their Under 23 squad.

Arsenal are likely to still be without Kieran Tierney. The Scotland full-back missed Friday's win over Aston Villa with a bruised ankle and is set to sit out the cup tie as manager Mikel Arteta is expected to make several changes. Granit Xhaka is a long-term absentee with a knee injury.

Find live TV coverage of the game. Need a VPN?

Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Match Thread

Post by Norm »

Oh but that we could afford a senior squad of 26 EB!
If we have a few injuries it decimates us. I know it's partly MB's preferred mode but there are times I'm sure we all wish for more, just like that nice young Mr. Twist.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Shackleton
Llorente
Cooper
Dallas
Phillips
Summerville
James
Bate
Roberts
Rodrigo
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Play the best team we can field, they need the game time to get us back to our best, too many breaks so far this season has stopped us getting in a rhythm. We always look poor when we make too many changes and the last thing we need is a bad performance with a crucial game on Sunday - though I do worry the script for that one has already been written.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

WhiteRose wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:22 pm Play the best team we can field, they need the game time to get us back to our best, too many breaks so far this season has stopped us getting in a rhythm. We always look poor when we make too many changes and the last thing we need is a bad performance with a crucial game on Sunday - though I do worry the script for that one has already been written.
Flip side of that is we already have an injury hit squad and god knows how many carrying minor knocks (with the intensity of our style and lack of rotation it's practically guaranteed to be the case in fact I'd bet money Klich is carrying one for starters)

Do we want to be risking key players when we have a early must win on Sunday?

I'd have loved a cup run after last season but priorities have changed?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Play a weak team, who cares about the cup when we've got much more pressing concerns and we definitely don't want any further injuries
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Nah has to be a strong team, we ain't going down and we ain't finishing top 6/7... Lets have a good cup run
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dester23
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dester23 »

Geldhart either is going to start vs Arsenal or vs Norwich. I can feel it.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

dester23 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:03 pm Geldhart either is going to start vs Arsenal or vs Norwich. I can feel it.
He'll start tomorrow and be on the bench against Norwich I reckon.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 pm Flip side of that is we already have an injury hit squad and god knows how many carrying minor knocks (with the intensity of our style and lack of rotation it's practically guaranteed to be the case in fact I'd bet money Klich is carrying one for starters)

Do we want to be risking key players when we have a early must win on Sunday?

I'd have loved a cup run after last season but priorities have changed?
My priority is the Premier League. We cannot afford injuries or fatigue. Basically for me, stuff the cup! :)
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

We have yet to build momentum, so a decent performance as a follow up to Saturday is important. But the priority is the league so it is difficult to know what Bielsa will do.

I hope he puts out a strong team while minding a few key players like Raphinha and possibly Llorente. Gelhardt and Summerville need more time. It’s an ideal game for Philips and possibly Firpo. Bielsa may give time to Forshaw and Roberts as well so it’s unlikely that we’ll see any other U23’s tomorrow evening.

A result here would be give massive impetus to the team. I hope we go for it.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I have a feeling he will start Cresswell alongside Cooper to give him some more experience.
I think he'll start with something along these lines:
Meslier
Shackleton
Cresswell
Cooper
Dallas
Summerville
Phillips
Struijk
James
Roberts
Gelhardt
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:24 am I have a feeling he will start Cresswell alongside Cooper to give him some more experience.
I think he'll start with something along these lines:
Meslier
Shackleton
Cresswell
Cooper
Dallas
Summerville
Phillips
Struijk
James
Roberts
Gelhardt
I believe you won't be far off with tonight's line-up Chilli
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Will be at this game tonight - hopeful that Gelhardt and Summerville start.
Will post my observations during the game. Could be a cracker as Arsenal have a few issues off their own.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:53 pm My priority is the Premier League. We cannot afford injuries or fatigue. Basically for me, stuff the cup! :)
Yep thats my view to, if anything tonight should be about the kids and fringe players proving themselves :)

Gelhardt, Summerville and Cresswell deserge to start on merit.

Roberts and Forshaw will start because MB loves them and tbf an opportunity (again) to show they deserve a place in the 18 (they dont merit) is probably needed.

Protect Llorente (don't play him)

Or Klich

Protect key players to :)
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Meslier
Drameh
Cresswell
Cooper
Dallas
Forshaw
Summerville
James
Roberts
Shacks
Gelhardt

That would be mine (id start Bate to but that wont happen)
Signed

King Cjay

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Cjay wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:31 am Meslier
Drameh
Cresswell
Cooper
Dallas
Forshaw
Summerville
James
Roberts
Shacks
Gelhardt

That would be mine (id start Bate to but that wont happen)
My line-up also.
Why risk Phillips, Harrison etc, protect their injuries and lets batter Norwich at the weekend with a stronger team.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
dester23
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by dester23 »

I think we are hoing to play with

Meslier
Shacks
Creswell
Struijk
Firpo
Forshaw
Roberts
Geldhart
Summerville
James
Rodrigo
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:44 am My line-up also.
Why risk Phillips, Harrison etc, protect their injuries and lets batter Norwich at the weekend with a stronger team.
Exactly.
Signed

King Cjay

WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Play the fringe players. We can't risk any more injuries to key players at the moment.