Diego Martinez

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Diego Martinez

Post by Cjay »

This story has been bubbling away for some time.

Reports in Spain suggest that we have identified a potential replacement for Bielsa should he leave at the end of the season.

Reports are saying that Diego Martinez is keen and has been turning down La Liga jobs to try and secure this move.

The Reports suggest that he has already spoken to Orta and is currently learning English.

All may be pure speculation but Victor Orta and Diego Martinez have worked together before at Sevilla.

Martinez spent 7 years their and Orta was their for quite a few of those years.

It was at Sevilla he got his chance first at the C team, then as the youth team manager, then as an Assistant to the first team and finally with the B team where he won promotion.

He has a season at Osasuna and then moved to Granada FC.

He lead them to promotion to La Liga in his first season.

He then managed a 7th placed finish and a Copa Del Rey semi final in their 1st season back followed by a 9th place finish a Copa Del Rey quarter final and a Europa League Quarter final.

A very impressive record however their is a downside.

His tactics, a Bielsa clone he is not, not even Similar really.

More defensive and counter attacking than possession based, direct as well, not against a hoof

For me that is a deal breaker , to go to someone opposite would make all the work in installing a similar style throughout the age groups a waste.
Last edited by Cjay on Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Diego Martinez

Post by 1964white »

No smoke without fire :fire:
mentalcase
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by mentalcase »

We'll have to wait and see what happens in t' future, why would Bielsa want to leave so soon when he's roughly half-way through the journey, unless, the board aren't quite as confident in his methods now, and are also concerned he may walk.
Speculation is something Bielsa dosen't get involved in, he's too cryptic for that sort of stuff.
Whoever takes over when the time arrives will soon get shot of the likes of roberts and won't recall the likes of costa, he will also have a real pool of young talent to try out.
I say "he" maybe we could poach karen carney, she's a f@cking know-it-all.
Keep Fighting
Leeds1000
First Team
First Team

Post by Leeds1000 »

No fire if someone pisses on it first. :)

Is it just me who worries about any recommendation from Orta? Don't get me wrong Cellino picked managers like grapes.

In Bielsa we trust. Or trusted if he decides to leave. Without the money who is going to do a better job realistically? What mid table i hear you say. :shhh:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:05 pm No fire if someone pisses on it first. :)

Is it just me who worries about any recommendation from Orta? Don't get me wrong Cellino picked managers like grapes.

In Bielsa we trust. Or trusted if he decides to leave. Without the money who is going to do a better job realistically? What mid table i hear you say. :shhh:
Concerning, 1000

It could all go tits up when Marcelo calls it a day to enjoy retirement.
mentalcase
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:26 pm Concerning, 1000

It could all go tits up when Marcelo calls it a day to enjoy retirement.
Or we just could progress :tup:
Keep Fighting
Mountain
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Mountain »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 pm Or we just could progress :tup:
Looking at the last 16 managers, at other clubs pouring hundreds of millions into wages alone, in their 60,000 all seater stadiums, we surely know there is no reality to that.
VinnysTattoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Defensive and more direct?

Not ta very much. Despite the start to this season we’ve enjoyed some of the best football we’ve seen in decades. I think we need even a little similarity in the next manager to make a smooth transition. A complete change in style could be damaging to our league status in the short term.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:37 pm
For me that is a deal breaker , to go to someone opposite would make all the work in installing a similar style throughout the age groups a waste.
I agree with this, a complete change of approach is throwing the baby out with the bath water. The problem is that I can’t think of many established managers who would a) want to take over from Marcelo immediately he goes and b) want to continue to adhere to his specific style of play.

The best arrangement all round is for Marcelo to remain in place until the club can identify or develop a suitable successor, to allow time for the academy talent to filter through to the first team.

Remember, all the talk of him leaving in the summer is just speculation. The club has strongly denied any contact with Martinez at this stage.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

2 + 2 = 5. Martinez fancies a go in the PL, and is learning English. I have no doubt that suitable replacement managers are being monitored, should the unthinkable happen. The only way Bielsa goes is if he walks. I don't think Guardiola could keep us going with the players we have.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:37 pm A very impressive record however their is a downside.

His tactics, a Bielsa clone he is not, not even Similar really.

More defensive and counter attacking than possession based, direct as well, not against a hoof
Would you say that was more down to trying to get the most out of the players he had at his disposal, the way they had been playing before etc? It's rare that a manager can come in, like Bielsa did with us, and change the style so radically to a possession based game without changing loads of players. I think most managers would take the easier option of trying to play to the supposed strengths of the team then slowly change the style as they brought in more players that fit into the way that manager wants to play. What were the style/tactics of the teams before he took over?

As such is Martinez flexible in his tactical approach? It may be that he'd take the Bielsa way but make tweaks rather than change the style completely.
In Bielsa Weasel Trust
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:30 am Would you say that was more down to trying to get the most out of the players he had at his disposal, the way they had been playing before etc? It's rare that a manager can come in, like Bielsa did with us, and change the style so radically to a possession based game without changing loads of players. I think most managers would take the easier option of trying to play to the supposed strengths of the team then slowly change the style as they brought in more players that fit into the way that manager wants to play. What were the style/tactics of the teams before he took over?

As such is Martinez flexible in his tactical approach? It may be that he'd take the Bielsa way but make tweaks rather than change the style completely.
Dont know enough about him really (club have dismissed it anyway).

But from googling it seems he may be flexible to a degree but a pragmatic defensive approach is a large part of his philosophy.

It was the same at Osasuna.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom