Whats gone wrong . .

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

Re: Whats gone wrong . .

Post by rab_rant »

Lumiukko wrote: How does Bielsa's wage stack up against other PL managers once Bielsa has paid his whole team/backroom staff out if it? He has a very unique wage structure in that he pays his team out of that 6m he earns a year. Just asking since you're not his accountant either.

That said, I don't have an answer about whether he does it for the money or does he do it for the love and passion. I think it's probably somewhere in-between, like most people with a good job that they like.

And will he walk if the fans get on his back? I don't know either but the way some folk talk, it would appear they would like to test the hypotheses.
YES and not to mention giving a car away to a cleaning lady and financing the building of a training ground for Newell Old Boys.

Definitely the works of a miser and not a philanthropist

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Lumiukko wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:40 pm How does Bielsa's wage stack up against other PL managers once Bielsa has paid his whole team/backroom staff out if it? He has a very unique wage structure in that he pays his team out of that 6m he earns a year. Just asking since you're not his accountant either.

That said, I don't have an answer about whether he does it for the money or does he do it for the love and passion. I think it's probably somewhere in-between, like most people with a good job that they like.

And will he walk if the fans get on his back? I don't know either but the way some folk talk, it would appear they would like to test the hypotheses.
Actually it sems to be £8m that he earns now.

From what I can tell he had 9 backroom staff before Corberan left to manage Huddersfield. I don't know if he has replaced him.
Let's say if he pays each of his 8 staff £120k a year then he's still left with 7 million, which is about what Tuchel gets paid. Of course Chelsea won the Champions League and are currently top of the PL....I don't think he's as indifferent to money as some people think, otherwise why did he haggle over the rent for his 1 bedroom flat in Wetherby on those kind of wages ? Or maybe he had simply read about the Yorkshireman stereotype on arrival in his Yorkshire and was wanting to blend in with his environment quickly....

I think you are probably right though - very likely he is motivated partly by passion for the job and partly by the money.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Overman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:32 pm Great to have you back on board Chapelallman. 👍
Thanks Overman :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:58 pm Actually it sems to be £8m that he earns now.

From what I can tell he had 9 backroom staff before Corberan left to manage Huddersfield. I don't know if he has replaced him.
Let's say if he pays each of his 8 staff £120k a year then he's still left with 7 million, which is about what Tuchel gets paid. Of course Chelsea won the Champions League and are currently top of the PL....I don't think he's as indifferent to money as some people think, otherwise why did he haggle over the rent for his 1 bedroom flat in Wetherby on those kind of wages ? Or maybe had simply read about the Yorkshireman stereotype on arrival in his Yorkshire and was wanting to blend in with his environment quickly....?

I think you are probably right though - very likely he is motivated partly by passion for the job and partly by the money.
Chelsea also have a lot of very talented players some of the best players in the world.

Bielsa obviously wants to be paid what he thinks he is worth although I think that is more a case of knowing his employers respect him. Like has been mentioned he alos pays for a lot of staff not just the staff close to him but he has a network of people working for him. He also paid the £250k fine out of his own pocket so it is hardly like he is obsessed with having money. Same as everybody he wants to be paid properly but that doesn't mean he wouldn't walk away.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He comes from a culture where haggling is commonplace ... part of the game.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:55 pm Chelsea also have a lot of very talented players some of the best players in the world.

Bielsa obviously wants to be paid what he thinks he is worth although I think that is more a case of knowing his employers respect him. Like has been mentioned he alos pays for a lot of staff not just the staff close to him but he has a network of people working for him. He also paid the £250k fine out of his own pocket so it is hardly like he is obsessed with having money. Same as everybody he wants to be paid properly but that doesn't mean he wouldn't walk away.
It's like F1 drivers though - a lot of people put Lewis Hamilton down with the usual mantra ' but he has the best car. ' In fact this hasn't always been the case, however the critics are missing the point, which is that the best drivers will always gravitate to the best teams and cars. Same with football managers - the best managers will always gravitate to the best clubs, which in this day and age tends to mean the richest clubs.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bielsa is top 5 in the prem
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 am Well that's just your guesswork and your interpretation about what you think his feelings are about money. With all due respect you're not his accountant or his spokesperson about money. I'm not saying that money is everything to him, however the fact that he commanded the highest wage in the champoionship and one of the highest in the PL is proof that it's not an insignificant factor to him. Otherwise he would say ' I've made a lot in football and don't need the money, so I will do it for 500K a year. That will more than cover the rent of my one bedroom flat in Wetherby.'

Bielsa is actually the 5th highest paid manager in the PL and we are in what, 15th place....Sorry, but I don't buy into the romantic notions about Bielsa - he's only here because he loves the club etc. I'm pretty sure that if the club had offered him say 2m for this season he would have gone straight back to his ranch in Argentina. At the end of the day it's the fans who have true love and passion for the club - the players and managers are really just professionals earning a living. I'm sure that Bielsa has developed a fondness for the club and Wetherby etc whilst he has been here, but at the end of the day the fact that the club were willing to make him the best paid manager in the championship clearly had a major bearing on why he was tempted to try and resurrect a sleeping giant. It wont have been everything, but I think it's naive to thing that it wasn't a major factor.
As you rightly note, the exact same point can be made about Phillips, Meslier, Bamford, Raphinha, Kinnear, the tea lady etc. They all.look for the best deal possible. Many will even appoint agents to secure that, pay someone to ensure they are paid as much as possible. And worse again, with players they often look for not just the most money, but over a period of years too, 3, 4 and 5 year deals. Bielsa could easily demand a long deal and get that 7 or 8 million rolling in for years to come. The fact that he doesn't is pretty remarkable.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:36 pm Bielsa is top 5 in the prem
Afair the BBC and other media outlets had him as the top 1 last season.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

There is a big difference between constructive opinion and negativity. I have to agree that Season 2 in the Premier League needed a different approach as other teams will not make the same mistakes against us. Bielsa has failed to come up with a team that can compete in all areas of the park. Our position in the league does not lie, and results have been either a complete disaster or a narrow win here and there. Leeds will narrowly avoid a relegation battle but its doesn't help when we don't have a striker to put the ball in the net. Wake up guys, its ok to say that we play exciting football but the truth is we ship goals for fun and can't score at the other end.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Musicman1965 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:45 pm There is a big difference between constructive opinion and negativity. I have to agree that Season 2 in the Premier League needed a different approach as other teams will not make the same mistakes against us. Bielsa has failed to come up with a team that can compete in all areas of the park. Our position in the league does not lie, and results have been either a complete disaster or a narrow win here and there. Leeds will narrowly avoid a relegation battle but its doesn't help when we don't have a striker to put the ball in the net. Wake up guys, its ok to say that we play exciting football but the truth is we ship goals for fun and can't score at the other end.
When I read some constructive criticism I might agree with you, very little here
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Why we dragging up a thread from December?

We've won two and lost one this year. We don't play until tomorrow.