The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th November) - Leeds linked with Brazilian striker

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th November) - Leeds linked with Brazilian striker

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 30th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds linked with Brazilian striker

Spanish newspaper Sport are reporting that Leeds are interested in signing Brazilian striker Arthur Cabral from Basel. He is a player that Bielsa has been looking at for some time and he has a great goalscoring record, if only in the Swiss Super League. Cabral has scored 14 goals in 14 games in the league already this season. This follows 18 goals in 33 appearances last season.

His contract expires in June 2023, so Basel are willing to sell him. He would cost €15-20 million. Barcelona were believed to the front runners but West Ham and Leeds have also emerged as possible destinations in recent days with Leeds tipped as favourites. Any deal would be mediated by Deco, who Leeds fans may know is Raphinha’s agent.

He’s a killer in the box, with an impressive physique (1m 86 and weighs 86kg), and has a strong shot. He’s also great in the air and can finish with both feet, although his right is his natural foot. He’s a reference point in the team, superb in the box and he can link play when out of it. Could Cabral be the answer to our lack of depth and goals up front?

Late heartbreak for U23's

A last minute goal from Citeh ace Cole Palmer denied Mark Jackson's under 23's a valuable point last night at the Academy Stadium in Manchester. The visitors took the lead from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time. Lewis Bate threaded the ball perfectly for Summerville to latch onto. Egan Riley had little option but to bring the Dutch winger down. Greenwood stepped up, and although the keeper guessed the right way, the accuracy and power gave Van Sas no chance.

Two minutes into the second half, the Blues were level. Brazilian forward Kayky skipped past Moore before chipping the ball past the helpless Klaesson. With twenty-five minutes left, the hosts were reduced to ten men. Lavia's lunge on Kenneh earned the Belgium midfielder a second yellow card. Leeds took full advantage of their extra man and retook the lead two minutes later; Greenwood firing hard and low into the right-hand corner.

Their lead would last only eight minutes. James McAtee with the strike, after good work from Palmer to wrestle possession from Bate. Ten men City wrapped the game up in the 89th minute. Klaesson failed to smother Palmers shot, giving the England U21 star an easy tap in from the rebound.

Mark Jackson's U23's have slipped down to 12th place in the table (out of 14) after their latest defeat. They have now gone eight games without a win. The Whites have invested heavily in their youngsters, and we have seen Struilk, Gelhardt and Summerville impress for the first team, but can't help feeling disappointed that the youngsters are not competing against others their own age!

Bamford and Ayling get much needed minutes

Luke Ayling and Patrick Bamford both continued their recoveries last night, featuring in the U23s game against Manchester City. After taking the lead through a Sam Greenwood Penalty, Mark Jackson’s side eventually ended up losing 3-2 but not before the due of Ayling and Bamford got some much-needed minutes under their belts.

Ayling played the whole first half before being replaced by Charlie Cresswell at the break whilst Bamford played the full game up front. He even had the ball in the net at one point, though the goal was ruled out for offside. Both showed exactly what we’ve been missing with Bamford pressing from the front and holding the ball up with Ayling overlapping on the right wing.

Tonight’s game is clearly too early for either of them to feature in any meaningful way but it does open the possibility of a return for the Brentford game on the weekend. How much have we missed Bamford and Ayling? Will their return be a huge boost to our season?

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th November) - Leeds linked with Brazilian striker

Post by Chilli D »

EB, the way you described Cabral, I thought you were his agent 😂
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 30th November) - Leeds linked with Brazilian striker

Post by Chilli D »

Good to have Luke and Paddy back playing. The fact Luke was only given 45 minutes may mean he is in the squad tonight?
Not sure what the thinking was behind Gelhardt being an unused sub for the U23's last night? If he wasn't used because he's in the squad tonight, why bother even taking him with the U23's?
Strange.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Also being linked heavily with a Real Madrid forward , my guess is, we won't buy anyone as Bamford will be back, why would we need another forward adding to the wage bill , we can't even get Gelhardt in the team.
Now, if a winger became available !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

After a decent start the under 23s seem to be faltering of late, I hope they can turn their form around and stay in the top flight.

Same goes for the 1st team, having Paddy and Bill available again is bound to help.

1.86m and 86kg! What’s that in English? Ok just over 6’ 1” and just over 13 and a half stones that’s getting on for Vidukaesque proportions, if he’s half as good as Mark Viduka was then might be worth a shot! We’re we not linked with Arthur Cabral previously, I think I remember the name? You can’t argue with his stats, although the Swiss league can’t be anywhere near Premier League level, but I would sooner have us looking at midfielders, preferably creative ones, rather than strikers at the moment tbh.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:53 am After a decent start the under 23s seem to be faltering of late, I hope they can turn their form around and stay in the top flight.
Two draws & six defeats in our last eight games,

Conceded 32 goals in 13 matches this seasons.

Defensively, we are appalling :(
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:29 am Also being linked heavily with a Real Madrid forward , my guess is, we won't buy anyone as Bamford will be back, why would we need another forward adding to the wage bill , we can't even get Gelhardt in the team.
Now, if a winger became available !!
The only signing we are likely to sign in the January window will be Lewis O'Brien or John Swift.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Byebyegeegee wrote:After a decent start the under 23s seem to be faltering of late, I hope they can turn their form around and stay in the top flight.

Same goes for the 1st team, having Paddy and Bill available again is bound to help.

1.86m and 86kg! What’s that in English? Ok just over 6’ 1” and just over 13 and a half stones that’s getting on for Vidukaesque proportions, if he’s half as good as Mark Viduka was then might be worth a shot! We’re we not linked with Arthur Cabral previously, I think I remember the name? You can’t argue with his stats, although the Swiss league can’t be anywhere near Premier League level, but I would sooner have us looking at midfielders, preferably creative ones, rather than strikers at the moment tbh.
We got Alioski from the Swiss league and he turned out well

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 am Two draws & six defeats in our last eight games,

Conceded 32 goals in 13 matches this seasons.

Defensively, we are appalling :(
Like the first team.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am The only signing we are likely to sign in the January window will be Lewis O'Brien or John Swift.
Agree, why do we need another striker when we know for a fact that Bamford will be straight back in, what sort of message would that send out to Gelhardt, JG back in U23s whilst a £20 - 30 million player sat on bench, !!
A creative midfielder is a better option, probably bargain basement like said above, hopefully one of them will step up, thats if Bielsa plays them, they won't be anywhere near up to his demands so that leaves them on t' bench also.
Something will have to give to accomodate........IF we do indeed add to the squad.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:32 am Like the first team.
Not quite as bad as our first team.

Won 2 drawn 3 in our last 8 games.

Conceded 20 goals in 13 games.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:46 am Not quite as bad as our first team.

Won 2 drawn 3 in our last 8 games.

Conceded 20 goals in 13 games.
I meant dreadful at defending, mainly set pieces, god knows what they actually practice in training, other than instructing Cooper to hang on to his markers shirt for dear life.
The amount we concede from set-pieces is dire, also why can't we manage to score regularly from them ??
Only Rapha seems to know how to put in a decent ball.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:59 am I meant dreadful at defending, mainly set pieces, god knows what they actually practice in training, other than instructing Cooper to hang on to his markers shirt for dear life.
The amount we concede from set-pieces is dire, also why can't we manage to score regularly from them ??
I'm unsure if we work on the art of defending or shooting at Thorp Arch :duno:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:57 am Mark Jackson's U23's have slipped down to 12th place in the table (out of 14) after their latest defeat. They have now gone eight games without a win. The Whites have invested heavily in their youngsters, and we have seen Struilk, Gelhardt and Summerville impress for the first team, but can't help feeling disappointed that the youngsters are not competing against others their own age!
A bit harsh to say the youngsters aren't competing, Hardly like they got battered 6-0. The majority of the teams we are playing now have a huge advanatge over us. City's youth side has world class youngsters from all over the world not to mention the facilities at Man City are miles ahead of ours. But other teams have a big adavantage to in that their youngsters have been playing together at his level a lot longer. We've been playing cacth up trying to sign players to make us better but we also probably change our team a lot more then the others do to give mintues to the first team players coming back from injury and often taking the better performing players to be in the first team squad and then limiting them to 30/45 minutes instead of full matches. So it is constant disruption to the side, continued changes and that leads to less understanding.

The U23s side isn't all about producing results either but making players that are then ready for the first team. You just have to look back to our FA Youth Cup winning side who beat Man U's side in the final and look at how many of ours played for our first team compared to Man U's youngsters.

Interesting how fans then also clamour for our youngsters to be given more chances in the first team yet then turn round and saw that they aren't good enough to even compete against the other teams U23 sides....
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

mentalcase wrote: I meant dreadful at defending, mainly set pieces, god knows what they actually practice in training, other than instructing Cooper to hang on to his markers shirt for dear life.
Palace I believe have the worst set piece record this season, wonder if we can capitalise on it later. Doubt it somehow.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:10 am EB, the way you described Cabral, I thought you were his agent 😂
Wish I was paid like an agent. :)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:42 pm
Those were the days! Thanks Ell - great memories.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:42 pm
Brilliant.
Those were the days. Funny how most of the clips involved Norman Hunter. He really was as hard as a coffin nail.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am The only signing we are likely to sign in the January window will be Lewis O'Brien or John Swift.
You don't reckon there's any truth in the Orkun Kökcü rumours then Leon? I was watching for O'Brien last few weeks on the highlights and he doesn't look like a PL midfielder.

Reports too that West Ham have offered around £20m for Arthur Cabral.