The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st December) Late drama at Elland Road

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st December) Late drama at Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 1st December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Late drama at Elland Road

An injury time winner from the penalty spot gave Leeds three valuable points, propelling them to 15th place in the table, in front of a packed out Elland Road.

The game itself came to life in the second half, as both sides battled for supremacy. The Elland Road pitch became a battleground, with Bielsa's Leeds showed plenty of Northern grit, turning the game further to their favour as the game went on. A lack of firepower up front was evident as to why both clubs shared thirteen draws between them with fortified defences clearly on top. Even when breached, neither side could take advantage. A case in point was midway through the second half when Christian Benteke missed the target, with an empty goal at his mercy, to the relief of 35, 558 rain soaked fans!

Leeds continued to hustle and bully their South London opponents, much to the jubilation of the Leeds faithful, whose voices got louder and louder as the game reached its climax. Their hard work finally paid off deep into injury time when England U21 ace Marc Guéhi handled Raphinha's in swinging corner. After reviewing the monitor Kevin Friend had no option but to point to the spot. Cool calm and collected, Raphinha tucked away his sixth goal of the campaign.

We were the better side tonight - Viera

Palace Manager Patrick Viera spoke of his disappointment following the late drama at Elland Road. According to the former French star, the Eagles had the better chances but did not take advantage of them. Raphinha's late strike condemned the Eagles to just their

It happened on the other side a couple of games ago and we have to deal with it, outside of the situation at the end we are a little bit disappointed, we should create a little bit more chances and didn't make the right decisions.

I really believe we were the better team tonight. We don't have time to feel sorry for ourselves, we just have to analyse how we create chances and how we can improve our last pass and work in the final 30 yards. We had the best chances in the final 10/15 minutes and didn't take it, so you leave the door open.

The details make a difference, and the detail today is we didn't score that first goal and got punished. We knew the season would be long and we would have some ups and downs. It is important to stick together and work even harder. We showed some positives.

Special praise for Roberts

Marcelo Bielsa reserved special praise for Tyler Roberts during his post match presser last night. The Welsh International enjoyed a rare start for the first XI, and although he still has not netted since Leeds trip to St Mary's last May, the 22yo's all round input and effort was telling. Whilst it's fair to say Roberts has received more than his share of abuse from Leeds fans, his performance last night shows why he is a Bielsa favourite, but as a forward his contribution in front of goal needs to improve drastically if he is going to make it, in the top fight. When asked about his performance last night, Bielsa replied:-

Very important. He did not stop fighting, ever. He kept our team alive and present. I did not imagine he could run as much as he did in 90 minutes.

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st December) Late drama at Elland Road

Post by Ellandback1 »

I thought Forshaw, and especially Dallas were fantastic in the second half. They popped up everywhere.

Dallas was probably one of the most underrated players in the top flight last season, and last night, he was back to his best!
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 1st December) Late drama at Elland Road

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Still buzzing from last night, feel like a massive weight off our combined shoulders, hopefully this gives us all a bust and we go into the Brentford game with loads of confidence.

I'd like to add my heart well thanks to the crowd who last night who sang throughout and helped the team across the line :clap: :clap:

Don't know if it's just me but I hate time wasting (just get on with the game) so I'm always particularly pleased when a time wasting team gets beat at the death and love watching them moan and complain there isn't enough time left or that the other team is now cheating by time wasting :lol: :lol: And before anyone asks that includes us I'd rather we went for another goal that take the ball into the corner or take forever over a throw in or free kick, lets get on with the game there's nothing wrog with passing teh ball between your team mates.

I like Viera a great player (who I loved to watch player especially against the Scum) and I think he'll become a really good manager but mate you are so wrong we were the better team especially in the second half.

I'd like to put on record here how much I dislike Zaha a really top player with skill, speed and athleticism but what a cheating, whining, horrible man he is. He loves to give it out and is always verbal with the opposition and refs but goes mental if a decision goes against him even if its correct. Over the last few years (since he become St Zaha of the Palace with the media) he's untouchable, refs are scared of giving anything against him, if I was a ref I'd march him over to the monitor and make them replay the incident and say that's why its a free kick and you got a yellow and here's a second for making me have to do this now f' off. Sorry rant over :)
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:25 am I thought Forshaw, and especially Dallas were fantastic in the second half. They popped up everywhere.

Dallas was probably one of the most underrated players in the top flight last season, and last night, he was back to his best!
Yeah, I know Raphinha took all the plaudits but Dallas was MOTM for me.
I still don't think Forshaw is properly 90 minute fit yet. He looked like he was running in treacle for the last 15 minutes. He played well though.

So Roberts did a lot of running- great! As a number 9 he created nothing, offered no goal threat at all.
Joe Gelhardt must be wondering what else he can do to get on the pitch.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:33 am Yeah, I know Raphinha took all the plaudits but Dallas was MOTM for me.
I still don't think Forshaw is properly 90 minute fit yet. He looked like he was running in treacle for the last 15 minutes. He played well though.

So Roberts did a lot of running- great! As a number 9 he created nothing, offered no goal threat at all.
Absolutely. Gelhardt is a natural centre forward. How he didn't start last night was puzzling. How he didn't even play a part was criminal.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

How Meslier was able to keep this out was outstanding. I would have slid into the back of the net (and kept going)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

It's hilarious that Bentake starts to celebrate, then Meslier gets back to save it.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I would say that the Raphinha penalty and the spider boy save just typifies our season. One was stop start affair that succeded beyond expectations, and the other was an unbelievable messy struggle that saved the day.

The symbolism of both events should not be lost and could be a harbinger of what is to come. The season will be stop start and a struggle... but in the end we will be secure.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

With Newcastle and Norwich dropping points it was the perfect evening.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I don’t think they were the better side but then again I don’t think we were either, over the 90 minutes I think it was probably about honours even. An absorbing, keenly fought, very competitive match, not a great amount of skill but much endeavour, with nothing (apart from our late penalty 😀) between the teams.

They had the 2 Benteke chances 2nd half and we had the Roberts chance in the 1st half and the Rodrigo chance in the 2nd.

Special mentions for our “new” midfielder Forshaw who ran his socks off, Dallas who doggedly won his battle with Zaha (no mean feat), our speed merchant James who surprise surprise is actually a winger, Meslier for his miraculous goal line save and our match winner Raphinha.

Good and clever management to single out Roberts for praise after the brickbats he’s been getting a lately, well done Marcelo.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Just about deserved the win, yea Benteke managed to miss the best opportunity for them, they could actually bring on a match winner in him, we could in Gelhardt , but Bielsa decides in his infinite wisdom to leave Boberts on who , despite getting "special praise" from his manager actually missed our best chance, also the manager states" I did not think he could run as much in 90 minutes" why keep him on then, why not replace him with an actual centre forward who can score goals ??
Very disappointed for young Joe I must admit, but what do I know, does the "special praise" from Bielsa mean Boberts will continue to start and create nothing, score nothing whilst Bamford is out ??
Dallas was exceptional, had the cheating zaha in his pocket most of the game, Rapha calmly took his penalty, from where I was sat it looked a little too close to the goalie and I didn't celebrate for a split second, thank christ it went in, about time we had a little luck go our way.
Onward and up now, hopefully a victory on sunday before taking unexpected points against the so called big-boys.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:33 am Yeah, I know Raphinha took all the plaudits but Dallas was MOTM for me.

Fraid I agree with MB, very good game last night, the early miss one that Paddy himself misses more often than not. Not a striker and looked much better dropping deep. Best 10 at the club currently IMO
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

This is hilarious. Poor Shez
Last edited by Ellandback1 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am Fraid I agree with MB, very good game last night, the early miss one that Paddy himself misses more often than not. Not a striker and looked much better dropping deep. Best 10 at the club currently IMO
No surprise there...
And yet not in your top 6 for MOTM
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ive praised Roberts for his effort and what not on the other thread so i feel its only fair to say this here.

I take issue with what MB said.

I dont feel that a player running around constitutes a good performance.

I take real issue with that and in fact i think its an attitude that sums up our problem atm

A lack of creativity, a lack of real quality in the final 3rd, its something we have all mentioned over the months and including yesterday (We are all delighted with the pen and win lets get that clear) but it does paper over those cracks somewhat

So when the best thing the boss can find to say about his striker is he ran a lot it isnt in my opinion a worthy accolade.

As a team we have spent a fortune buying runners.

Firpo, Rodrigo, James, runners, off the ball, lots of running (thats what the analysis told us when we signed them).

It also told us in the case of James and Rodders that their end product was poor or for Firpo that he defensively isnt great (both correct).

You cant as a team prioritise running as a key stat when buying players and completely ignore tactical fit and technical ability and substance in their game.

You shouldn't buy attackers who 1st dont fit any position you use (like Rodrigo) and second whose end product stats are awful (James) just because they run a lot.

Because it causes what we see now, a team devoid of creativity and quality in the final 3rd.

I appreciate this has become a rant and please understand i am very happy with the win no matter how it occurs but that quote from MB just sums up a much wider issue for me.

Forget attacking threat or causing the goalkeeper problems or really making a difference in the final 3rd with intelligent piercing runs and dribbles, its ok that Roberts did none of that because he ran a lot.

Since when did running on a football pitch make up for a lack of substance in a players game?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Do you remember when an opposing player run away, and seven Leeds players ran him down.
It made headline news, and we were oh so proud that our team had the legs.

Do you remember the 7 left footed passes that took 17 seconds to move from box to box and score a goal.

And how can you forget a breakaway goal that was again 20 seconds box to box ending in a Pablo header.

None of those memories would be created without running. It is the Bielsa way... and to suggest that it is just aimless running is a denial of the ethos that Marcelo has tried to instill at the club.
Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
Last edited by rab_rant on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

What a professional Hernandez was!!!!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:32 pm No surprise there...
And yet not in your top 6 for MOTM
Most players had good games tbf ...Roberts and Firpo very unlucky not to not my top 6
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote:Ive praised Roberts for his effort and what not on the other thread so i feel its only fair to say this here.

I take issue with what MB said.

I dont feel that a player running around constitutes a good performance.

I take real issue with that and in fact i think its an attitude that sums up our problem atm

A lack of creativity, a lack of real quality in the final 3rd, its something we have all mentioned over the months and including yesterday (We are all delighted with the pen and win lets get that clear) but it does paper over those cracks somewhat

So when the best thing the boss can find to say about his striker is he ran a lot it isnt in my opinion a worthy accolade.

As a team we have spent a fortune buying runners.

Firpo, Rodrigo, James, runners, off the ball, lots of running (thats what the analysis told us when we signed them).

It also told us in the case of James and Rodders that their end product was poor or for Firpo that he defensively isnt great (both correct).

You cant as a team prioritise running as a key stat when buying players and completely ignore tactical fit and technical ability and substance in their game.

You shouldn't buy attackers who 1st dont fit any position you use (like Rodrigo) and second whose end product stats are awful (James) just because they run a lot.

Because it causes what we see now, a team devoid of creativity and quality in the final 3rd.

I appreciate this has become a rant and please understand i am very happy with the win no matter how it occurs but that quote from MB just sums up a much wider issue for me.

Forget attacking threat or causing the goalkeeper problems or really making a difference in the final 3rd with intelligent piercing runs and dribbles, its ok that Roberts did none of that because he ran a lot.

Since when did running on a football pitch make up for a lack of substance in a players game?
Absolutely spot on , I don't bother listening to him or reading what he says because as you so rightly say he puts 'running a lot' as a sort of top priority which imo is like saying I won't employ a painter & decorator unless he can hold a paint brush ! He may as well sign Mr Bolt I've heard he can run a lot and probably still faster than James even now. Let MB carry on but unless his philosophy changes or he uses Gelhardt more often I don't see much changing in the near future, it's the main reason we are down the bottom because without Rapha we may as well hold the white flag up.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

rab_rant wrote:Do you remember when one when an opposing player run away, and seven Leeds players ran him down.
It made headline news, and we were oh so proud that our team had the legs.

Do you remember the 7 left footed passes that took 17 seconds to move from box to box and score a goal.

And how can you forget a breakaway goal that was again 20 seconds box to box ending in a Pablo header.

None of those memories would be created without running. It is the Bielsa way... and to suggest that it is just aimless running is a denial of the ethos that Marcelo has tried to instill at the club.
Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk
Yes those are great memories but I'm more concerned about now and the future which is much more important. The 70's were great though eh.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk