The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd December) - Leeds have scored 11 goals fewer compared to this point last season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd December) - Leeds have scored 11 goals fewer compared to this point last se

Post by Boo Radley »

weasel wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:39 pm It isn't a forum with lively debate it is simply groundhog day.
Harsh!

No one is calling for Bielsa’s head. Everyone knows the class attitude and top effort the players have put in over the last three years.

It is the fact that Leeds’ fabulous achievement should be in anyway put under threat this season, primarily through our inability to score goals is what agitates some people on this forum. We still work as hard as ever and run as far as ever but, for a team that was never prolific in front of goal, we are worse off this year. This is what could undermine the whole project and its achievements to date.

Some fans get annoyed and upset about this state of affairs. It doesn’t make them lesser fans for feeling that way.

We could all whistle pass the graveyard or we could discuss why we are in this situation. That may mean pointing a finger at poor/arrogant planning, poor recruitment, challenging team selection for key positions or challenging the use of subs for said positions. So what! That’s sport - everywhere, and it’s the point that Rab lead with earlier with - it’s freedom of speech.
rab_rant

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 2nd December) - Leeds have scored 11 goals fewer compared to this point last se

Post by rab_rant »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:48 pm
Some people know how to celebrate the success of others.

Mudita Mudita Mudita,🥳🥰🤩
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Boo Radley wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:27 pm Harsh!

No one is calling for Bielsa’s head. Everyone knows the class attitude and top effort the players have put in over the last three years.

It is the fact that Leeds’ fabulous achievement should be in anyway put under threat this season, primarily through our inability to score goals is what agitates some people on this forum. We still work as hard as ever and run as far as ever but, for a team that was never prolific in front of goal, we are worse off this year. This is what could undermine the whole project and its achievements to date.

Some fans get annoyed and upset about this state of affairs. It doesn’t make them lesser fans for feeling that way.

We could all whistle pass the graveyard or we could discuss why we are in this situation. That may mean pointing a finger at poor/arrogant planning, poor recruitment, challenging team selection for key positions or challenging the use of subs for said positions. So what! That’s sport - everywhere, and it’s the point that Rab lead with earlier with - it’s freedom of speech.
What situation? We're 4 points out of 7th ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 pm Some people know how to celebrate the success of others.

Mudita Mudita Mudita,🥳🥰🤩
just noticed Zaha number 11
Wonder what that upward arm gesture ment?

schadenfreude😤😡🤬
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

She lives near me but I can’t see them from my house.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 pm What situation? We're 4 points out of 7th ?
How about us not being able to score.

But for a brainstorm in a Palace defenders head in the 93rd minute we would be in 17th position in the table, 3 points ahead of Burnley who have a game in hand.

Seriously!
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

mentalcase wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:01 pm Decourt
Batty
Phillips
In that order.
I always liked Dacourt one of my favourite players of that period, pure class. I also agree with your order.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Boo Radley wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:58 pm How about us not being able to score.

But for a brainstorm in a Palace defenders head in the 93rd minute we would be in 17th position in the table, 3 points ahead of Burnley who have a game in hand.

Seriously!
But that is not the reality it's your might have been. Stick to the facts.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Boo Radley wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:58 pm How about us not being able to score.

Seriously!
What about we're conceding less? West Ham got a late winner, Spurs fluked a winner, we outplayed Spurs and Newcastle. That's 4 more points at least, so if we're doing what ifs we're further up the table not 3 points above Burnley

We've also had a couple of nailed on pens not given ... We're not in any trouble
Last edited by The Subhuman on Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

rab_rant wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:11 pm But that is not the reality it's your might have been. Stick to the facts.
The reality is we were not going to score without that penalty.

Most fans and observers would take that as a fact.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:40 pm What situation? We're 4 points out of 7th ?
We have had 1 decent 90 minutes this season, 1.

Even Bielsa has expressed concern about that and our form and our performances.

It clearly isn't unnecessary and negative if even the boss has said it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:59 pm We had no choice with Costa tbf, we had agreed to buy him, would any of us have spent £21mil on him at the end of that season given the choice? Probably not, we didnt have one though so was no point getting upset.

Ive been very critical of Harrison's end product over the years, i think just look at this season, when the system isnt giving him lots of chances you see how poor it is. Tbh it was obvious in the Championship where players in lesser teams but similar positions absolutely destroyed his goals and assist numbers. I compared him to Dallas in the past whose lack of end product on the wing eventually lead to him not playing there anymore. That being said on the back of what 8 goals and 8 assists in a debut Prem season we had to do the deal really and hope he turned a corner (he hadnt and you are probably right no fans helped).

Tbf to Orta Koch wasnt injury prone when he arrived (Llorente was) but Koch wasnt so dont think we can hold him to responsible for that even though it is frustrating. Some transfers dont work out.

Rodrigo was ridiculous once you got past the understandable excitement of being a newly promoted club buying a striker with decent pedigree. Any basic research told you he didnt fit the style (he has even said in interviews beforw joining he liked to play as a secons striker which we dont use). Combine that with his age and the cost it was daft and i suspect just happened because Orta wanted something to put on his cv (signing Spains number 9 for a newly promoted club).

Furthermore i think that explains a lot of our transfers, Orta gets carried away dealing with bigger clubs, makes him feel important and appeals to the ego he has. Why else sign bit part players who havent played much for years for a manager who demands the utmost fitness?

Not to mention the fact that for players like Firpo and Rodrigo even just basic research would tell you they probably dont fit the style we play (Firpo thrived best in a team with a natural back 3).

He has had success of course with Raph, Meslier, Bamford, Ali, Klich etc (although Mes was recommended by the goalkeeping coach, Raph was an open secret, his talent wasnt in doubt tbf, Klich had been linked before Orta even arrived which may mean he was on our radar already and Bamford wouldn't have happened if we had got Vydra or Abel Hernandez who were 1st and 2nd choice).

I dont doubt Orta's passion and full credit for Bielsa, Raph and co but value for money has been poor (also in what other profession could you basically go "ah well if i get 20% right i have done well") that is something he has said about buying players, basically absolved himself of blame.

And the JKA thing is shocking to, again in what ither profession could you potentially cost your employer £20,30mil and suffer no consequences?
A superb analysis Cjay - lots of valid points :tup:

With Costa and JKA the idea of a loan with an obligation to buy was always a receipe for disaster - I can't see a good businessman going for a deal like that, as the whole point of the loan is to see whether the player cuts it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:27 pm We have had 1 decent 90 minutes this season, 1.

Even Bielsa has expressed concern about that and our form and our performances.

It clearly isn't unnecessary and negative if even the boss has said it.
Says you, I don't agree..
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:27 pm A superb analysis Cjay - lots of valid points :tup:

With Costa and JKA the idea of a loan with an obligation to buy was always a receipe for disaster - I can't see a good businessman going for a deal like that, as the whole point of the loan is to see whether the player cuts it.

I agree I am no fan of obligations to buy.

Every loan should have an option however
, an obligation is asking for trouble.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What if we loaned De Paul with a guarantee to buy? Would you do that?
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:32 pm Says you, I don't agree..
Ok

If you concede 17 shots of which 7 on target thats hardly outplaying a team.

Neither can you outplay a team if they hit the post 2 or 3 times 2nd half (even Bielsa admitted they battered us 2nd half).

Each to their own of course
Signed

King Cjay

rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Boo Radley wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 pm The reality is we were not going to score without that penalty.

Most fans and observers would take that as a fact.
What if Roberts had got that tap in?
What if Forshaw screamer had gone in?
What if Rodrigo had rounded the keeper and slotted home?
What if Var had not given the penalty?
What if Ralph's dancing around caused him to miss?
What if the flat earth Santa had appeared in the heavens above ER and the reindeer had shat smartites from their arses onto the astonished crowd?

Stick to the facts... we got a penalty... we scored... we won the game.... fact.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:37 pm What if we loaned De Paul with a guarantee to buy? Would you do that?
I don't like obligations to buy as I have consistently said (dont like straight loans either which I think is one of the few things we agree on?).

If it has to be the case (as some clubs have arranged to do in order to spread out fees for ffp and such) then it can only be for an exceptional talent the likes of which is a total game changer at top form.

So yes De Paul would be an exception.

But for players who are and have been on the decline (as JKA and Costa were when we signed them) absolutely not.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We are all forgetting a few more Orta specials.

Michael Cuisance who Orta was going to pay £18mil for ended up going to Marseille with an option to buy for significantly less (around £10mil I read). Marseille ended up sending him back to Bayern for attitude problems, he was a flop and is now in limbo.

Jerry Mbakogu remember him? £2.5mil Orta was going to pay for him, he ended up being released on a free a few months later.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:48 pm I don't like obligations to buy as I have consistently said (dont like straight loans either which I think is one of the few things we agree on?).

If it has to be the case (as some clubs have arranged to do in order to spread out fees for ffp and such) then it can only be for an exceptional talent the likes of which is a total game changer at top form.

So yes De Paul would be an exception.

But for players who are and have been on the decline (as JKA and Costa were when we signed them) absolutely not.
Costa was key in the promotion race so we got money's worth, ditto with Harrison. If it needed a guarantee to get him here it was worth the risk the same as it would with De Paul. He could fail in the premiership.