Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds Utd v Brentford Match Thread

Post by Finnatic »

Cumbriarents wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:31 pm Because some fans want youth to be in the team. Maybe the step up from u23 is very large as we see with lots of youth plays on loan at Barrow or Wrexham for example
I understand that, and if ready they should play a bigger part, but as you say, it’s a big step up.
Ayling wouldn’t have lasted 90 mins as RB after only playing 45mins in the U23s after be out for so long.
Dallas or Shackleton would have had to replace him and as Firpo has only just come back, Dallas would have replaced him at some point.
Maybe MB was looking at the bigger picture as the game progresses (Cooper went off fairly early)
My first thought was Cresswell but MB thought differently.
Everyone who changed position has played in those ‘new’ positions numerous times and some play there for their country.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 pm Playing players out of their natural positions & making so many changes as a consequence seems to be ok for some on here. Fans at the game weren't happy!

Sheer madness & definitely cost us today, as his crazy substitutions have done in the past.
The first sub was made after 16 mins, and we then scored and were on top until half time. Started the second half well, and the mad 7 minutes only happened when Kalvin got injured.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm Bamfords interview
Well done Paddy :-D
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:27 pm You can do anything if you are wearing a Harry Potter duffle coat... I fully expected him to pull a wand out of his pocket and say Expelliarmus or at least Crinus Muto - to changes hair color and style
of the person he was shouting at.
Having a go at his wife for making him wear that jacket.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cumbriarents wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:31 pm Because some fans want youth to be in the team. Maybe the step up from u23 is very large as we see with lots of youth plays on loan at Barrow or Wrexham for example
Do you recall Cresswell's performance v Antonio & Bowen?

Ayling is not a CB no matter what anybody thinks on here.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Finnatic wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:05 pm Cooper substitution - Struijk and Koch injured…

Ayling to CB - played there numerous times, also easier for him to last the full game as he expends less energy than at RB having been out for a while, more experienced than Cresswell.

Dallas to RB - played there numerous times and for NI.

Roberts to Dallas’s vacant position as AM, which he did well IMO.

James to CF because Roberts dropped back (plays there for Wales on his own or as a two with Kieffer Moore)
Bamford obviously rusty having been out for eleven games.

Harrison on for James’ vacant LW slot, also tracks back to help out Firpo who’s only just started playing again.

Why is it so baffling to some?
I like tour way of thinking young Sir. An excellent analysis. One might even add that it led to Roberts goal... what was Raphinha doing out there on the left wing anyway... totally confusing for everybody especially the opponents. Raphinha assist for Roberts goal 27'

We all know that one of the main objectives of Bielsa is to destabilise the opposition, and in this case who can say it did not work.

A different interpretation of the substitution is always welcome.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Cjay wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:12 pm Maybe :lol:

Some of the Orta stuff is funny but a lot of the time it's cringe.

What would he have done if nobody got in his way? Had a fight?
Whatever it was, he appeared to be telling someone in no uncertain terms to shut up. You'd think some sort of personal criticism of him to get that OTT reaction :duno:
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Overman wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:50 pm I see, somehow you managed to bring some classic William Blake into the equation. The Doors also managed to incorporate this into the 'End of the Night' Realms of bliss, realms of light, some are born to sweet delight.

Now we go on a winning run starting with the Chelsea Scum, Citeh, Scouse and the Arse!
Lets just say there is a fight between Light and Dark in the comments section

There is a crack in everything
that is how the Light gets in
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Gandalf wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:56 pm The first sub was made after 16 mins, and we then scored and were on top until half time. Started the second half well, and the mad 7 minutes only happened when Kalvin got injured.
Yes, so when they scored we only had ten fit players as Phillips was subbed straight after.
The second goal happened while we reshaped due to the forced substitution, Forshaw to DM and Klich on to Forshaw’s position.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:03 pm I like tour way of thinking young Sir. An excellent analysis. One might even add that it led to Roberts goal... what was Raphinha doing out there on the left wing anyway... totally confusing for everybody especially the opponents. Raphinha assist for Roberts goal 27'

We all know that one of the main objectives of Bielsa is to destabilise the opposition, and in this case who can say it did not work.

A different interpretation of the substitution is always welcome.
Thanks, Rab … I think?!
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:35 pm That is the one glaring difference between Bielsa & O Leary.
There's more, one had a good 2 or 3 years at Leeds in an era that broke the club, whereas the other is regarded as one of the games greatest thinkers and innovators, making it into debates like FourFourTwo's 50 greatest managers ever.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Despite all the moaning, we still have only lost 1 out of the last seven, and got 5 points out of the last 9. I would back our lads to battle to the end over most other teams in this league.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Mountain wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:36 pm There's more, one had a good 2 or 3 years at Leeds in an era that broke the club, whereas the other is regarded as one of the games greatest thinkers and innovators, making it into debates like FourFourTwo's 50 greatest managers ever.
:clap: Thanks for the reminder.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Lost just 5 in 15 but need to start turning draws into wins.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:52 pm It's the one glaring difference to the majority of PL coaches.

Playing players out of their natural positions & making so many changes as a consequence seems to be ok for some on here. Fans at the game weren't happy!

Sheer madness & definitely cost us today, as his crazy substitutions have done in the past.
Don't know that anyone was moved around to something that was an unnatural position. The four who moved had played in those positions before.

That being said, I was a bit baffled myself. It seemed to me the simplest thing to do would have been to bring on Creswell.

But what do I know? I'm not a genius. Certainly didn't seem to bother us for the remainder of the first half. The loss of Kalvin seemed to be much more consequential.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:09 pm Whatever it was, he appeared to be telling someone in no uncertain terms to shut up. You'd think some sort of personal criticism of him to get that OTT reaction :duno:
Potentially or knowing him a criticism of one of the signings?

Orta tbf has previous for aggressive and unprofessional behaviour having to be physically removed from the Boro dressing room at one point.

Would be interested to know who he was having a go at, Brentford fans or ours?

Leon? From where Orta was sat which is more likely?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Very frustrating afternoon. Missed the first 25 minutes completely then, for some reason, kept losing the stream from then on, so didn’t see enough of the game to comment specifically.

But what I will say is that every time I did get a glimpse of the game the referee was either booking one of our players or letting Brentford get away with blatant time wasting. I saw the bit where their goalie came and clobbered James who was laid flat out for about 20 seconds or so then got up, probably quicker than the Brentford players wanted, so their goalie decided that he’d throw himself on the floor feigning injury to waste another minute or two. All the while the referee standing about doing nothing, seemingly happy to be conned.

Under the circumstances I’m relieved we got a draw I suppose, but I really expected a win against Brentford at home. I believe that had Kalvin not got injured we would have gone on to win that game.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:52 pm Potentially or knowing him a criticism of one of the signings?

Orta tbf has previous for aggressive and unprofessional behaviour having to be physically removed from the Boro dressing room at one point.

Would be interested to know who he was having a go at, Brentford fans or ours?

Leon? From where Orta was sat which is more likely?
Too far away for me to judge, CJay

I guessing it was a Leeds fan :duno:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The second-half was very hard to watch, however a point is a point when all looked lost.

Credit to the lads for persisting to the end with another last gasp goal :clap:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:11 pm Too far away for me to judge, CJay

I guessing it was a Leeds fan :duno:
If that is the case then that's even worse.

You can't act like that towards your own fans in a position like he is in, it's so unprofessional.

You don't see other DOF's or football executives doing that.

Ed Woodward got far worse from Manure fans in the past as did Karen Brady and them at Wet Spam, you didn't see them trying to fight their own fans.

If he can't take criticism he should be better at his job or find a new career.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom