The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd December) - Were Kinnear's program notes over the top?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd December) - Were Kinnear's program notes over the top?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 3rd December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Kinnear's program notes were 'over the top' - Hay

Writing in his programme notes for the Leeds v Palace showdown, Leeds Chief Executive Angus Kinnear labelled suggestions of 'independent regulators and increasing the transfer levy' as “flawed as they are radical” and has caused a stir by comparing them to Maoism (a form of communism power associated with China and the former Soviet Union of old). According to Kinnear...

Of the 47 recommendations contained in the fan-led review of football governance there was much to applaud. Increased supporter consultation, heritage shares, renewed focus for the women’s game and improving equality and diversity (among others) will all be met with almost unequivocal support.

However, the two most significant recommendations are as flawed as they are radical. The first is the demand for independent regulation and the second is an increased transfer levy to redistribute increased funds further down the football pyramid.

Football is a private sector business and has flourished that way. Enforcing upon football a philosophy akin to Maoist collective agriculturalism (which students of ‘The Great Leap Forward’ will know culminated in the greatest famine in history) will not make the English game fairer, it will kill the competition which is its very lifeblood. Teams further down the pyramid do not need their means artificially inflated, they need to live within them.

When asked for his opinion, Leeds Utd journalist Phil Hay said that Kinnear had gone 'over the top'...

I think he's entitled to discuss the idea of an independent regulator in those notes but the column last night was over the top and, on reflection, not a great idea before a game so big. It's the sort of thing that can easily become a distraction. A more concise argument would have been much better.

On an independent regulator, I can see the merit of it. I don't have much faith that if it's government-run it would be any good or properly effective but set up properly, I'd be in favour of it. As I said on Twitter last night, football is governed too much by self-interest. The number of EPL CEOs who are speaking out against an independent regulator tells you that they want to kill the idea - but the EPL is not exactly an oasis of solidarity.

Early team news

Leeds Live have suggested that long term absentees Luke Ayling and Patrick Bamford will miss the crunch encounter against Brentford on Sunday, proposing instead a return to action at Stamford Bridge on the 11th. They also forecast a return to action for Robin Koch soon after. There is better news for Pascal Struijk. The former academy star is fit to start against the Bee's if selected.

Is Llorente struggling?

It would be fair to say that when fit, Diego Llorente is one of the first names on the team sheet. His contribution last term was nothing short of immense, a defining factor of why Leeds finished in the top half of the table. This season, although solid, the 28yo hasn't quite replicated the same form he showed six months ago. Is he struggling for form, or are we expecting too much? According to a recent post from Phil Hay...

He (Llorente) has a very good range of passing when he's on it but I think you're right to say that some of his passing was wayward last night and misjudged. The exact stats - 64 passes, 50 completed, accuracy of 78 per cent. 22 passes in the Palace half with an accuracy of 41%.

VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd December) Kinnear's program notes were 'over the top' - Hay

Post by VinnysTattoo »

. “Teams further down the pyramid do not need their means artificially inflated, they need to live within them.”

This is the bit I take issue with. OK to say this when you are basking in the riches of the Premiership and I wonder if he’d have said the same two seasons ago.
The pyramid props up the Premier League and every team dreams of getting higher, a few have realistic ambitions of eating at the top table. If the pyramid is weak so the support weakens.
Twenty teams take 90% ish of all income.
I suggest that the Premiership should live within it’s means more as most run at big loses. Pot and Kettle from Kinnear I reckon.
rab_rant

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd December) Kinnear's program notes were 'over the top' - Hay

Post by rab_rant »

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs. The principle refers to free access to and distribution of goods, capital and services. What does Karl Marx know about football
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Reg here from the Peoples Party for the Promotion of Pettiness.

All right, but apart from high press, exciting football, vicarious joy and wonder, thrilling moment to remember, humility, stedfastness and resilience, what exactly has Bielsa done for us?

Errh!? Promotion!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:36 am Reg here from the Peoples Party for the Promotion of Pettiness.

All right, but apart from high press, exciting football, vicarious joy and wonder, thrilling moment to remember, humility, stedfastness and resilience, what exactly has Bielsa done for us?

Errh!? Promotion!!!!
Being a Leeds fan has always been a rollercoaster of a ride (seat belt not included) :roflmao:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd December) - Were Kinnear's program notes over the top?

Post by Chilli D »

I wouldn't be surprised if Bamford and Ayling both make the bench on Sunday despite what Leeds Live are saying.
I don't think Llorente is struggling at all. First defender on the team sheet for me.
Pleased to hear Pascal is okay.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd December) - Were Kinnear's program notes over the top?

Post by Byebyegeegee »

It’s fantastic to see everything is wonderful in the world of Leeds United!

We’ve won 3 whole games (out of 14) this season, fantastic!
We’ve scored less than a goal a game and have a goal difference of -7, that’s great, what more can we expect?
We are 5pts away from the relegation zone, no problem somebody told me we’re going to get into the European places by the end of the season, so what’s the problem?
Despite being hammered by both Manchester United and Liverpool so far this season it won’t be long before we are going to be mixing it with the big boys, just watch us win our next 5 games!
Victor got Raphinha and Gelhardt didn’t he? 2 out of 30 ain’t bad!
Roberts has only had nearly 100 games to show us what he can do, blimey give the lad a chance!
Less of the square pegs in round holes you idiots, what’s wrong with trying to complicate things, football is a very complex game.

As far as I can see everything in the garden is rosy, you won’t find me getting on the wrong side of this forum’s critic police.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Llorente's best game in a few v Palace I thought.

There should be some kind of rule in place to make sure Premier league clubs don't cherry pick players from the lower leagues for peanuts. Especially if they're in financial difficulties...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Byebyegeegee wrote:It’s fantastic to see everything is wonderful in the world of Leeds United!

We’ve scored less than a goal a game and have a goal difference of -7, that’s great, what more can we expect?
We are 5pts away from the relegation zone, no problem somebody told me we’re going to get into the European places by the end of the season, so what’s the problem?
Despite being hammered by both Manchester United and Liverpool so far this season it won’t be long before we are going to be mixing it with the big boys, just watch us win our next 5 games!
Roberts has only had nearly 100 games to show us what he can do, blimey give the lad a chance!
Less of the square pegs in round holes you idiots, what’s wrong with trying to complicate things, football is a very complex game.

As far as I can see everything in the garden is rosy, you won’t find me getting on the wrong side of this forum’s critic police.
I was missing a little bit of Maoist dialectic materialism... Marxist theory would suggest to understand the state of affair at Leeds, it is essential to resolve a series of contradictions and find solutions.

The conflict can be seen as caused by material needs not being met by the club. This misconception can only be redressed by rehabilitation camps and reeducation centres that restore correct thinking and instill loyalty and allegiance.

The Party line must be upheld and all descent quashed. Regeneration through self criticism.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

LeeBrook
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LeeBrook »

Excellent comment. What on earth were the management thinking last summer. We should have brought in quality to consolidate our Premier League position. Now we face a battle for our very existence at the top level. Relegation would be a disaster.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Never really taken to Kinnear.

Comes across quite smug imo, as if he feels he is always the funniest and cleverest man in the room.

He is wrong on this (all the selfish Premier league execs panicking about their cash)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:19 am It’s fantastic to see everything is wonderful in the world of Leeds United!

Excellent
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"