MB Pre Brentford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

MB Pre Brentford

Post by Cjay »

You described Tuesday's win as necessary. Is there extra significance on getting three points on Sunday? What would it mean to get back-to-back wins in the same week?

To win consecutively fortifies you. When we focus on every game independent of who comes next, given the amount of fixtures we've played up until now, the points that we've got on the board are few and every fixture is an opportunity to balance our numbers.

Will Luke Ayling and Patrick Bamford be available on Sunday?

It's likely that they'll be available for the game on Sunday.

Will there be an effect on the intensity of your team having already played this week? What have you made of Brentford so far this season?

Normally teams go adapting to the amount of days of rest they have and our objective is the intensity that identifies us. So far Brentford have shown to be a different team in the Premier League. The most novel thing I've seen is the amount of elements that they attack with. And the management they have of the ball in all the sectors of the pitch

With regards to Bamford and Ayling and even Robin Koch, will you use them tonight in the U23s?

In principle, no.

Pascal Struijk in some discomfort the other night. Is he available? What's his injury?

We think he will be available for the game on Sunday. He has a knock around his hip. But we think he will be available.

Two clean sheets in the last two games. Illan Meslier made some incredible saves. Where do you think he's improved particularly?

He's a goalkeeper with a lot of personality. He's a goalkeeper who transmits security, he has weight with decisive interventions. And there are interventions that have the same weight as a goal in our favour and he's resolved these type of actions.

How disappointing was it to hear inaccurate reports that you and Kalvin had had a falling out?

It's what's common in the world of football. It's difficult to express yourself over things that didn't happen, that there's nothing behind and that they are expressed as a reality. There's things that correspond to the private part of a relationship so perhaps the media talks about these things that are hidden but this is a next step. This was the spread of something that didn't happen at all. What I'm saying is, it's a way the press are, the objective is very clear: it's to bring attention with any type of resource. The press, not only do they inform, but they have their legitimate need that what they tell wakes up interest and in that process, on occasion it happens that they invent realities to bring attention. But I insist this, all this I'm saying there's nobody better than the representatives of the press to explain it. As a result for me to say this doesn't make much sense, in all the countries in the world the sensationalism occupies a part of the press. I think in England from my point of view, it's less than elsewhere, normally that's because the material they work with is precious because very few leagues have so much to say about it as something as precious as the Premier League.

If Patrick Bamford is available, how much will the temptation be to start him from the beginning?

To be available and healthy is the first step for a player who has been without competition for two months. Nobody just through their presence, guarantees their performance and the acquiring of the fitness level, the sporting level which is the step prior to being healthy and trained in the sense that a player can be healthy, they can be fit but the adaptation to the competition is something different. Sometimes that process is accelerated or it takes longer considering the particularities of each player. Also sometimes the needs of the team. Sometimes the sporting reality of a team means a player comes back to compete quicker. Managing all that depends on a lot of factors and I can't offer you a precise conclusion.

Fair to say you've missed him - what are Patrick Bamford's main strengths that you might have missed in the past few weeks?

Just to say he was a player who scored one goal every two games last season is enough to show his importance. And even when he doesn't score, he's an important part of how the team functions.

What do you think Brentford's main strengths are and the job Thomas Frank has done with them?

What I said beforehand applies to this question: referring to the fact that a team that always attacks with six players, they have a genuine rush to be protagonists. And that they always try to keep the ball. This type of description coincides with what Brentford is and I say this not just to give a nice answer but you can verify it. Anyone who has seen Brentford play this season can see they attack with six players and they always want to keep the ball. That's not common in any league and even more so when that team is not one of the most prestigious clubs in the league.

Brentford normally play with two strikers, assumption is you'll go with a back three. Do you think Adam Forshaw will play defensive midfield with Kalvin in central defence, or is Adam capable further up the pitch?

I haven't chosen between the two variants that you've just mentioned.

Contentious goal scored by Arsenal last night. In that situation would you have allowed Man United to score a goal back - were the circumstances fair?

I haven't seen the action.

Do you think this season it's been hard to build combinations and link up well in the wide areas in Luke Ayling's absence?

He makes a contribution, and like you said he has a way in the offensive part of our team. We've used Shackleton and Dallas in his absence, who have maintained that offensive contribution. You have to adapt to temporal absences.

During times of adversity how important is it to stick to principles and values that have worked in the past - and how important is it for players to have a coach who does that?

The way in which a team chooses to compete, it's a decision that has to be respected a lot because to construct it, takes a long time. To not maintain your philosophy of play, and abandon the main themes that sustain it, that's easy. But what's difficult is to construct a new philosophy to substitute it and know that it resolves the next game. But that it worked as a base that lasts, because the urgency that we have to obtain results generates this option of the Plan B. From my point of view, that's caused a lot of damage to football in general.

What needs to be considered is the improvement of your chosen plan, not your substitution of it. What you call a Plan B, if you analyse, it's going from the speculation to the protagonism or protagonism to speculation, from precaution to risk and from risk to speculation. But that doesn't describe an idea of play. You can have cautious teams that are very good and teams that are protagonists that are very good, that's to say that antagonistic processes are both valid. What you can't do is change it on a weekly basis, because to consolidate takes a long time. What's really significant is what you obtain or what you deserve because if what's deserved is not obtained the path is the correct one and if what's obtained is not deserved, the path is not the right one, and in both cases time verifies those things - and the only thing I'm saying that what corresponds is to deserve what you get, that any focus is valid, that no process is consolidated instantaneously, and there's no process of regularity that is immovable. So from my point of view, what should be judged is the relationship between what you deserve and what you obtain which is what is truly decisive.

Is it important not to expect too much too soon from Bamford?

Exaggerated expectations are inconvenient, but like every principle it has an exception. There's players that the more you expect of them, the more that they give and there are players that when expectations are exaggerated, they are inhibited.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MB Pre Brentford

Post by Cjay »

Bamford and Ayling back.

Thoughts on the aforementioned pair

Thoughts on having faith in a philosophy.

Relationship with KP

Thoughts on Brentford
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good news on Paddy, Luke & Pascal :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

"But that it worked as a base that lasts, because the urgency that we have to obtain results generates this option of the Plan B. From my point of view, that's caused a lot of damage to football in general"

MB talking about philosophy and such.

Is he saying that the emergence of a need for a plan B has damaged football or is he saying that the need for results has damaged football in terms of it forces managers to abandon their principles in search of results?

Either way its a strange quote isnt it?

Having a plan B shows tactical flexibility? That isn't a bad thing

And football has always been a results business hasnt it?

Strange quote i thought, maybe i am misunderstanding.

Is he saying managers should be given limitless time to perfect a philosophy regardless of results?
Signed

King Cjay

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Good on you Cjay for posting this....and for the translation
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Pochettino Argentianin must be good hire him.
Mourinho was the special one get him.
Ryan Mason we will have as stop gap
Nuno love the way he got Wolves to play get him.
Italy won the Euros get Conte

Every team searches for a style of play, and if it does not bring results the manager is discarded.

If there is a plan that has brought success it might be foolhardy to contemplate switching horses mid. stream with no guarantee of success.

Better the devil/system you know than the devil/ system you don't.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Usual old gibberish.
Bamford will replace whom, James, Harrison , Boberts ???
One thing for sure, it won't be poor Joe.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

#Really feel sorry for Joe, he's been at Leeds 4 years now, 25 years old, banging them in for the first team and the second an old mis firing striker is available he's shunted back to god knows where, needs a loan at FC Tunbridge Wells I reckon to get him sharp and let Bielsa know what he's missing.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"