The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th December) 49ers 100% committed to Leeds takeover

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th December) 49ers 100% committed to Leeds takeover

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 7th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

49ers 100% committed to Leeds takeover

The San Francisco 49ers are set to assume full of Leeds Utd (and all its assets including Elland Road) after it was news of the takeover was leaked by 'The Athletic'.

Whilst Andrea Radrizzani has done an amazing job stabilising the club, his limited financial situation makes it a difficult for Leeds to join the football elite, and that's where Denise DeBartolo York and her family step in. According to Forbes records earlier this year, the York family are worth more than four Billion Dollars, compared to Radrizzani's $450m net worth. The 49ers have until January 2024 to trigger the takeover, believed to be worth anywhere between 400m - 475m, a far cry from the 45m Radrizzani parted with in 2017. Phil Hay explains...

First of all, that 49ers Enterprises is 100 per cent committed to taking charge of Leeds. Having bought a small, strategic stake at the outset (10%), the people behind 49ers Enterprises have had the chance to attend meetings, listen and learn and be across every item in the club’s accounts. They now know exactly how much it costs to get out of the Championship and what it costs to stay in the Premier League. In the face of those numbers, they haven’t flinched.

The jump to a 37 per cent shareholding in January of this year was a tell-tale sign a buy-out was on the cards. Industry sources will tell you that 10 per cent or thereabouts (the stake 49ers Enterprises bought initially) is something you can sit on. But once you hit the level of 44 per cent, as 49ers Enterprises did last month, the commitment is so big that it makes far more sense to push on and run a club yourself.

Nobody moves to 44 per cent without having a path to control. A small stake is fun — some skin in the game, but nothing to lose sleep over. A third? That’s serious, but you can still be outvoted. This has been a phased takeover for some time. And if Radrizzani seeks to retain a stake in Leeds, if and when 49ers Enterprises takes charge, it is likely to be small.

Leeds have a lot more going for them than most, though. Their commercial income in the Championship was just over £29 million — better than Aston Villa, Wolves and half a dozen Premier League sides that same season — but life moves fast. As mentioned, Newcastle have been bought by wealthy chaps from Saudi Arabia and a Czech billionaire is starting the same journey at West Ham that the 49ers began at Leeds in 2018. Leeds cannot stand still.

Owners of sports teams in the US are not simply expected to subsidise losses every season. American teams either make profits or get close enough for the tax breaks to be worth it. They are not holes in the ground that owners fill with cash every year.

Welsh International linked to ER January move

Italian media reports are linking Leeds to former Gunners midfielder Aaron Ramsey. The Welsh International joined Juventus in 2019, making 70 appearances, and netting six times. Unfortunately Ramsey has slipped down the pecking order at the Allianz Stadium, but with eighteen months still left on his contract, Juve want him off their books.

According to the media reports, Leeds are keen only on a loan deal, and would want to access the situation in the Summer. Newcastle and Everton have also been credited with interest in the 30 year old.

Leeds ready to swoop for Brereton

Leeds are believed to be carefully monitoring the situation at Ewood Park, and their want away star Ben Brereton. The 22yo Chile International forward has already netted 18 times this term, attracting a wide range of interest all around Europe. Although his four year contract expires next Summer, the Riversiders can excercise a clause in his contract, extending his stay for another twelve months. According to Blackburn Manager Tony Mowbray...

If Brereton goes, the first question in my mind is how much of the money are we getting? Or are we not seeing any of it?” “He’s not walking away for nothing in the summer. How much do you pay Ben Brereton to keep him happy and stay at this club and keep the journey going? Or when does he cut off and say he’s not signing so you decide what you want to do?

I’d like to think we can give Ben a new contract because I believe the best way to leave the club would be if someone offers an amount of money that would just be stupid to turn down and we could buy three £5million players on the back of it and then give yourselves a real chance and expectation to get promotion.

SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th December) 49ers 100% committed to Leeds takeover

Post by SG90 »

I really hope they dont. American owners have ruined every club they've been at. And of course they'll be wanting to pull up a drawbridge like the rest.

Brererton just seems to having a good season off the back of his Chile call up euphoria. Never been profilic. I'd avoid at all costs.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th December) 49ers 100% committed to Leeds takeover

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Aaron Ramsey on loan. Yes please, if we can afford his wages.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

American owners no thank you

Ramsey no thank you

Brereton I was going to say no thank you but saw he's only 22 and would give us a Plan B at least
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I have absolutely zero interest in American football so I’ve no idea what sort of a reputation the 49ers owners have with regards to running their club but, as has been pointed out, the track record of American owners of Premier League clubs has not been great up to now. Whatever happens will happen and I don’t expect we, as mere fans, will have much of a say in the matter.

I’ve always thought Ramsey is a decent player but he appears to be struggling at Juventus and at 30 years old may be past his best. So a loan deal to assess the situation would be the sensible option.

Marcelo Bielsa famously managed the Chilean National team once upon a time so he may well have a soft spot for Chilean footballers, although Ben Brereton doesn’t sound very Chilean does he? I know nothing much about him so I can’t really comment on his suitability or otherwise other than that, imo, we are more in need of a creative midfielder rather than a striker.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

If it means we remain in the Premier League for the next decade, I would welcome a takeover. Otherwise, we could become a yoyo club.
To improve as a club nowadays you need money behind you. The squad and the stadium need investment.
And there could be other suitors out there, apart from the 49ers.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I'd take American owners any day over the type of owners now seen at clubs like Man City, NUFC and PSG. I don't know that American owners are terrible, the owners at ManU, Liverpool and Arsenal seem to have no problem writing out very big cheques for players, training facilities etc. There may be problems at ManU and Arsenal, but not sure money is one.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:17 am I have absolutely zero interest in American football so I’ve no idea what sort of a reputation the 49ers owners have with regards to running their club but, as has been pointed out, the track record of American owners of Premier League clubs has not been great up to now. Whatever happens will happen and I don’t expect we, as mere fans, will have much of a say in the matter.

I’ve always thought Ramsey is a decent player but he appears to be struggling at Juventus and at 30 years old may be past his best. So a loan deal to assess the situation would be the sensible option.

Marcelo Bielsa famously managed the Chilean National team once upon a time so he may well have a soft spot for Chilean footballers, although Ben Brereton doesn’t sound very Chilean does he? I know nothing much about him so I can’t really comment on his suitability or otherwise other than that, imo, we are more in need of a creative midfielder rather than a striker.
As American football teams go they're very good ... compared to those already here they would comfortably be the best of the bunch, not sure how many are owned by AF franchise owners in the prem

Arsenal and the Rams
Leeds and the Niners
Manure and Tampa

and I think that's it

Jaguars and Fulham are owned by the same man but they're not in the prem
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Stuck with what we have at the moment, 49ers , nor anyone else will simply pile money into anything, it will take time to build, which is, what I take will happen over the next 2 yrs, see where we are then with investment in the squad and ground developments.
Rock and a hard place !!
A midfielder is definately what we need, but Ive given up all hope after recent transfer windows, plus add the fact we stick with a limited small squad of favourites, it's really up to the 3 amigos to agree on 1 player, time will tell whether they can actually agree on that.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:15 am
That's a rather strange response.

Wonder what upset him so much about the article. :duno:

Hope he voids it.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:01 pm That's a rather strange response.

Wonder what upset him so much about the article. :duno:

Hope he voids it.
I think Radz, Orta and Kinnear were hoping for a better start to the season, despite the limited summer transfer investment. So they're undoubtedly feeling the pressure and this is just another manifestation of that: Radz's Forshaw tweet, Orta wanting to scrap with a fan and Kinnear's programme notes. Radz especially would be better off keeping his phone in his pocket, he seems to have no difficulty keeping his wallet there ;-)

I'd be happy to swap Ramsey for Rodrigo, at least we'd get some creativity and goal threat. But would much prefer to go for John Swift, or another up and coming ACM.

We're needing investment and the deal already seems done, so it's just a case of who would you rather sell your soul to? Yanks have no knowledge of our club, it's history, and identity. But they do know about :$$:

Brererton, no thanks.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:17 pm I think Radz, Orta and Kinnear were hoping for a better start to the season, despite the limited summer transfer investment. So they're undoubtedly feeling the pressure and this is just another manifestation of that: Radz's Forshaw tweet, Orta wanting to scrap with a fan and Kinnear's programme notes. Radz especially would be better off keeping his phone in his pocket, he seems to have no difficulty keeping his wallet there ;-)

I'd be happy to swap Ramsey for Rodrigo, at least we'd get some creativity and goal threat. But would much prefer to go for John Swift, or another up and coming ACM.

We're needing investment and the deal already seems done, so it's just a case of who would you rather sell your soul to? Yanks have no knowledge of our club, it's history, and identity. But they do know about :$$:

Brererton, no thanks.
Definitely are feeling the pressure.

Kinnear made a right knob out of himself with the comments he made (not surprised though never warmed to him, smarmy). Orta losing his rag in public as if he is the only Executive to get stick (they set Ed Woodward's gate on fire and he didn't go round trying to start on people doing the old hold me back thing) :lol:

I am actually thrilled Radz spoke out, excellent news, don't sell to them, was pleased to see the reaction on the dark side to this yesterday was similar to mine :)

Ramsey is class, Ramsey is also on £400k a week and made of biscuits. He would be a disaster, we have already gone down the expensive potential route with JKA, can't do that again imo.

Get Swift on the cheap early January ( don't pish about till the end as usual) then go big in the summer.

I just think their has to be better out there, a venture capital fund whether American, English, Spanish, whatever is never the right idea.

I wonder who leaked this to Ornstein and Hay? Doesn't sound like Radz, 49ers? Why? What purpose?

One theory floated is that the 49ers don't actually want to buy the club (£450mil on one investment is a very large amount of money for a relatively small fund, this isn't FSG who own Liverpool and Red Sox this is a relatively small operation it seems) And so by leaking the price and time frame they are trying to flush out other parties. Makes sense, they have invested what? £60,70mil so far, find another party that will match that £450mil price and you make about £100mil profit, not bad.

And anyway they would need significant investment additional to that to make the sort of money on the club to make it worthwhile investment, probably talking £100smillion for the stadium, £100s million for players and whatnot and then you are closing in a £1billion investment so you need to find someone able to afford paying significantly over that to buy the club so they make a decent return.

It seems a bit expensive when most VC funds are after a quick return, this would take years and even then you aren't guaranteed to have broken the glass ceiling and become a £1billion club.

Unless they load the club with debt and cream off the top?

So yeah I am not sure, is it a bluff from the 49ers? Is Radz leaking it then pleading the 5th? Strange.

Forget Brereton, nobody cared about him until he became a Diaz
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:07 am Morning EB et all

American owners no thank you

Ramsey no thank you

Brereton I was going to say no thank you but saw he's only 22 and would give us a Plan B at least
Whats the alternative?

Chinese owners?

Arab owners?

Stick with Radz...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Looks like Radrizzani is furious with Matt Slater from the Athletic, though the article was written by both Slater, and Hay!!!!

More interestingly, how did Slater and Hay find out, and why did they decide to go public on it?
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

If twitter is to be believed bamford is injured again and Phillips could be out for 2 months - these rumours tend to be true.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Phillips would be a huge loss
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

A couple of nails in the coffin if those 2 are out , even just Phillips missing we rarely win and right now we rarely win with him.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

God forbid they're both out for a while and we have to give others a chance (Gelhardt), even buy someone in January.
Thank christ we have forshaw.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

WhiteRose wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:08 pm If twitter is to be believed bamford is injured again and Phillips could be out for 2 months - these rumours tend to be true.
Hopefully a smokescreen