Offside rules

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Offside rules

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Sometime ago if a goal was scored and any player was offside, whether he was close to the action or nowhere near, the goal would be disallowed. Then the law was introduced that if a player was offside but nowhere near the action then he would be deemed to be “not interfering with play” and the goal would be allowed.

I’ve noticed, since this law was introduced, that the perception of “not interfering with play” has gradually been diminishing until last week’s unprecedented VAR interpretation where Bowen literally impeded Meslier from getting to the ball but was still deemed to be “not interfering with play”.

So now we are in a situation, it seems, where you cannot be called offside, unless you actually score the goal or touch the ball from an offside position, even if you clearly distract or even impede defenders or the goalie.

To be fair to Mike Dean yesterday he was going to allow the goal before VAR intervened but I wonder, if the ball had not brushed Rodrigo’s thigh, whether VAR would have disallowed the goal anyway as he was clearly offside and in the middle of the action, despite the new, and frankly ridiculous, precedent set in last week’s game.

A hypothetical scenario, I know, as the ball did hit Rodrigo on its way into the net but we are Leeds and it wouldn’t have surprised me in the slightest.
mentalcase

Re: Offside rules

Post by mentalcase »

What if Rodrigo was over the line into the net ?
Lets not forget, the rules change depending which idiot is in charge of VAR on the day, also, remember the rules alter dramatically where LUFC are concerned, the offside at palace with Bamford pointing, your'e not allowed to score with your hand unless your'e Maradona so why disallow that, remember the goal at liVARpool where the ball clearly smashed into Kock/Llorente ??, as I say, the rules alter for us at an alarming rate, I would say we suffer a lot more than most, certainly more than the top clubs who have to be kept sweet.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: Offside rules

Post by Byebyegeegee »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:52 pm Lets not forget, the rules change depending which idiot is in charge of VAR on the day, also, remember the rules alter dramatically where LUFC are concerned,
Can’t disagree with that at all mc, it’s become all too obvious over the years.