The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 21st January) Leeds set to table new £20m bid for USA ace

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 21st January) Leeds set to table new £20m bid for USA ace

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 21st January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road

Leeds set to table new £20m bid for USA ace

Leeds are preparing an improved 20m bit to land Red Bull Salzburg's attacking midfielder Brenden Aaronson. Having had a 15m offer rejected earlier in the week, representatives led by Victor Orta flew to Wals-Siezenheim to hold talks with their Austrian counterparts, to try and reach an agreement.

Salzburg have a fourteen point lead in the Austrian Bundesliga, but, they are more concerned about their upcoming fixtures in the Champions League. The Austrians are set to lock horns against German giants Bayern Munich over two legs, and want their strongest possible side. The winner will progress to the last eight of the competition. An unnamed source close to Aaronson reported that he didn't want to leave Salzburg in the lurch, but also feels that a move to Elland Road to play under Marcelo Bielsa would be a significant step-up for his career.

Fans despair after latest Bamford injury

Angry Leeds fans took to social media to vent their frustrations after hearing that Patrick Bamford has picked up a fresh foot injury in training, and will miss tomorrow's crunch game against Newcastle at Elland Road. The 28yo has been missing in action since their trip to St James Park back in September. He returned briefly to play a cameo role against Brentford last month, but returned to the treatment room following his goal celebration. You can't help but think, what position Leeds would be in now if he hadn't picked up that self- inflicted ailment. Bamford, who turned down the chance to go to Harvard University, to pursue a career in football is renowned as being one of the most intelligent players in the Football League.

Orta gets Bielsa's backing

Marcelo Bielsa was quick to compliment Leeds Director of Football Victor Orta during yesterday's pre match press conference. The Argentine was asked about the relationship the duo shared, to which he replied...

Moreover than my opinion, there's evidence of the growth of Leeds United since Victor Orta's been here. The teams are produced through their individualities and in that sense, he's picked well. He's found the adequate players that adapt to the way of playing of Leeds.

The majority of them are young and the players that have arrived here, they are usually worth more after they have been here. That means he picked players with margin of growth for the potential to be better. He's a person who knows the market very well with regards to young players in different countries. He's picked young players who are very good, just to name a few: Pascal, Gelhardt, Hjelde. All of these things, we don't need me to describe them because I'm describing things you can see in reality.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 21st January) Leeds set to table new 20m bid for USA ace

Post by HarryofOz »

Bravo Marcello. Well said.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 21st January) Leeds set to table new £20m bid for USA ace

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Brenden Aaronson
To be honest I think it’s a moot point as to whether coming to Leeds will be “a step up for his career”. I should imagine that Salzburg are more or less guaranteed a place in the Champions League or at least one of the European Competitions year by year and the fact that they’ve got to the last 16 is pretty impressive. If he came to Leeds, whilst we can hope, in reality he’s unlikely to be involved in any European Competition any time soon, given the obscene amount of money available to a lot of clubs that we are up against in the Premier League.

Bamford - unbelievable! By the time he gets back he’s going to have missed over half the season.

Victor - what would you expect Bielsa to say?
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 21st January) Leeds set to table new £20m bid for USA ace

Post by Mountain »

The Bamford injury again shows just what an incredible job Bielsa is doing.

Getting promoted, getting established as a mid table PL side, staying there despite losing star players like Bamford and Phillips.

It could be very scary when he goes. What other manager could possibly keep sending out an injury ravaged team with kids filling gaps and have them playing like this?
Last edited by Mountain on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sprake1
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Sprake1 »

Time to sign a new striker to fight Bamford for the first team place.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Bamford...there's more sense in a pair of 64's dirty sweaty pants !!

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Chiquinho joins Wolves to join the other 9 Portuguese players already there.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Don’t know anything about Aaronson, but on the face of it seems like a good acquisition, IF we can get him.

What to say about Bamford? It seems to be all on young Joe’s shoulders now for the rest of the season. It seems obvious to me that we need an established striker in to cover that role, but who and when are the big questions. Our over reliance on Bamford is another area where the club has not addressed properly, and IMO, we will need an upgrade on him if we are to progress in this league.

The Summer will be an indicator as to we whether or not the owners are serious about their top six stance, because I believe we need investment in the striker role.
rondownunder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by rondownunder »

Hardly leaving Salzburg in the "lurch" with a 14 point lead at the top. They would not win the CL even if Mbappe and Haaland joined them. Excellent club at developing talent, just like Leeds, but it's time this kid played in a real cauldron under one of the coaching masters.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Nobody ever mentions how much the club has been forking out in wages for all the injured players. That's why Bamford's injury is simply not acceptable. I read that Bamford is on £74,000 a week ( £10,571 a day ! ) which I make to be £317,130 a month. Rodrigo is on £100,000 a week ( £14,285 a day ) or £428,571 a calendar month.

So combined that's £745,571 a month for two players who have barely featured this season !

Add all the other numerous injuries and you probably wouldn't have much change from £2m a month in wasted wages.

Actually, If I thought too much about what players get paid I would probably stop watching football. They are entertainers, not life savers.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

The money being spent on wages is shocking when you set it out like that.
There Is Only One United.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not really, We're not the only team to be spending big on both wages and lost money with players injured, part of running a football team. I don't even think we're top 10 paying wages .. probably around 15th
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
LeeBrook
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LeeBrook »

All well and good but another midfielder? We desperately need a goalscorer. Our inability to convert chances while we succumb to the sucker-punch may yet cost us our Premiership status.