The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 22nd June) - Arsenal now favourites to sign Raphinha

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 22nd June) - Arsenal now favourites to sign Raphinha

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 22nd June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Arsenal now favourites to sign Raphinha

Odds of Raphinha joining Barcelona have taken a sharp nosedive after it was revealed by 'The Athletic' that Arsenal have submitted a formal offer for the Brazilian International winger. Whilst the bid was turned down flat, the Gunners are expected to pursue their target.

Up until Recently, Barcelona were odds on favourites to land the 26yo, but a lack of spending power has halted them in their tracks, allowing other clubs to muscle in. Whilst Raphinha's agent, Deco remains desperate for his client to join the Catalan giants, interest from Arsenal may convince Xavi to search elsewhere. The Gunners are currently 17/20 favourites to land Raphinha, whilst Barcelona's odds have drifted as far as 9/2. Those who believe he will stay at Elland Road this Summer can enjoy odds of 5/1.

Minamino Monaco bound

Leeds Utd have conceded defeat in the quest to land Liverpool striker Takumi Minamino after the Merseyside outfit agreed a £15m deal with Monaco. It was hoped that Jesse Marsch could persuade the Japanese International to join Brenden Aaronson and Rasmus Kristensen in joining him for a reunion, but the lure of the French Riviera has proved too much.

Valentin Castellanos, Viktor Gyökeres, Arnaud Kalimuendo, Terem Moffi, Ben Brereton Díaz and Armando Broja continue to be linked to Leeds with Kalimuendo (£20m) and Castellanos (£15m) the more likely targets.

Could Nigerian winger replace Raphinha this Summer

Leeds are understood to be weighing up a bid for Nigerian International winger Moses Simon. The soon-to-be 27 year old applies his trade with Ligue 1 outfit Nantes, joining them in 2019 (initially on loan) from Spanish side Levante Unión Deportiva.

After bursting through the academy ranks at Ajax nearly ten years ago, Simon enjoyed successful spells in Slovakia and Belgium, where he helped Gent win the Belgian Pro League and Super Cup in 2015. He only has twelve months left on his four-year contract, so is available at the cut down price of £9m. Simon has over 50 caps for Nigeria, and played a part at the African Cup of Nations earlier this year.

He has exceptional skill and pace, unusual for a player who is only 5ft 5'. Several media reports are indicating that Simon could be bought in to replace Raphinha. Whilst I'm sure he'd be a decent addition to the squad, I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed, if true. Club Brugge's Noa Lang and Schalke's Rabbi Matondo continue to be linked with a move to Elland Road for the right wing role.

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 22nd June) Arsenal now favourites to sign Raphinha

Post by Ratscoot »

Good morning EB et all

I've also seen a news feed saying that Chelski are the favourites to land Raph, so I'm going out on a limb and using my journalistic skills I know for a fact, this is not a rumour its a fact that Raph will definitely be signed by another club or stay at Leeds (Think I covered all the bases there)

Every day we are linked with at least half dozen new players, based on the following

Leeds United in the title generates loads of clicks
Leeds are looking for players in various positions
Leeds need players in various positions
Leeds are in the Prem
We must want this player as he wants to play in the Prem
We must want this player his agent/chairman/manager says so
We must want this player he himself has stated in the past (between ages of 2 - 12) how much he loves Leeds
This player is the next Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona etc....
He's from the US or Canada as that's close enough
He's from South America and we use to have a coach from there
Orta knows his cousins, mates, girlfriends, auntie dog
A pundit was asked a question and using his superior knowledge of football and insider knowledge of Leeds he/she came up with this answer - mainly attributed to ex-players who need the money and/or ex-players who have never had anything to do with Leeds

Think that about covers it
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 22nd June) Arsenal now favourites to sign Raphinha

Post by Irish Ian »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 am Good morning EB et all

I've also seen a news feed saying that Chelski are the favourites to land Raph, so I'm going out on a limb and using my journalistic skills I know for a fact, this is not a rumour its a fact that Raph will definitely be signed by another club or stay at Leeds (Think I covered all the bases there)

Every day we are linked with at least half dozen new players, based on the following

Leeds are in the Prem
We must want this player he himself has stated in the past (between ages of 2 - 12) how much he loves Leeds
A pundit was asked a question and using his superior knowledge of football and insider knowledge of Leeds he/she came up with this answer - mainly attributed to ex-players who need the money and/or ex-players who have never had anything to do with Leeds

Ratscoot INSISTS leads are staying in the Prem League and tells Leeds they MUST splash out the 100M fee they get from Arsenal on at least THREE more players.

Is that what you meant? :lol:
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:45 am Ratscoot INSISTS leads are staying in the Prem League and tells Leeds they MUST splash out the 100M fee they get from Arsenal on at least THREE more players.

Is that what you meant? :lol:
Exactly that Ian :lol: :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 am
Every day we are linked with at least half dozen new players.
Hence the reason I hate pre season with a passion.
99% of what journalists print is just made up bullshit.
They report we are being 'linked with' this player and that player but linked by who? By them that's who.
Last summer we must have been 'linked with' at least 30 players and who did we get? Junior Firpo.

Yesterday we heard there were no concrete offers for Raphinha or Kalvin but today we're told Arsenal are favourites to sign Raphinha.

As we've already signed 3 players I honestly can't see us signing more than two or three more and they almost certainly won't be players we are 'linked with'
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:17 am Hence the reason I hate pre season with a passion.
99% of what journalists print is just made up bullshit.
They report we are being 'linked with' this player and that player but linked by who? By them that's who.
Last summer we must have been 'linked with' at least 30 players and who did we get? Junior Firpo.

Yesterday we heard there were no concrete offers for Raphinha or Kalvin but today we're told Arsenal are favourites to sign Raphinha.

As we've already signed 3 players I honestly can't see us signing more than two or three more and they almost certainly won't be players we are 'linked with'
Exactly Chilli :tup:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:14 am Good morning EB et all

Leeds are in the Prem

Morning pal, you can get 25's on Raph going to Chelsea
raphinha.jpg
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 22nd June) - Arsenal now favourites to sign Raphinha

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Going to Arsenal would mean him having to move to London - I couldn’t think of anything worse, God only knows why people would choose to live in that hell hole!

Not too bothered (in fact not bothered at all) that Minamino is not coming to Elland Road. I would have been a bit put out though had he chosen Wolves over us, but at least if he’s gone to Monaco we can put it down to the weather.

Not sure about Simon, 5’ 5” is 3 inches shorter than me. Name me one footballer who has made the grade at Leeds United who is/was that short! 😉
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 22nd June) - Arsenal now favourites to sign Raphinha

Post by lufc1304 »

If he chooses to go to Arsenal, it's for a pay day. No CL football and whilst they are obviously much higher up the Prem pecking order than we are, he could do better if any move is driven by ambition.

Not that bothered about Minamino, though my brother (an LFC fan) did say he would do a job for a side outside the top 6.

At 5'5", is Simon going to have the physicality to cope with the Prem? Could of course be just another lazy link??
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Rook
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Rook »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm Going to Arsenal would mean him having to move to London - I couldn’t think of anything worse, God only knows why people would choose to live in that hell hole!

Not too bothered (in fact not bothered at all) that Minamino is not coming to Elland Road. I would have been a bit put out though had he chosen Wolves over us, but at least if he’s gone to Monaco we can put it down to the weather.

]Not sure about Simon, 5’ 5” is 3 inches shorter than me. Name me one footballer who has made the grade at Leeds United who is/was that short! 😉

The MIGHTY Jody Morris!!!!! :-D
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
thatchapcarnell
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @thatchapcarnell

Post by thatchapcarnell »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm
Not sure about Simon, 5’ 5” is 3 inches shorter than me. Name me one footballer who has made the grade at Leeds United who is/was that short! 😉
How tall was Strachan? 5'6"?
Clitheroe White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Clitheroe White »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm Not sure about Simon, 5’ 5” is 3 inches shorter than me. Name me one footballer who has made the grade at Leeds United who is/was that short! 😉
Strachan
Rod Wallace
Not Leeds but 5ft 5 we have Messi, Maradonna
hector

Post by hector »

Brian Flynn
DILLIGAF??

I'm just WTF-ing my way through life......
Clitheroe White
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Clitheroe White »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:30 am Morning pal, you can get 25's on Raph going to Chelsea
Leeds could sell him to Chelsea for a knock down fee (40m) and then stick a few million at bookies for 25/1. Quids in!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Think there was a player once on our books called William Bremner. He was 5ft 4inches. Not sure if he made the grade might have to see if someone can check the archives.
Marsching on Together

Jesse Marsch is taking us down under!
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:20 pm Not sure about Simon, 5’ 5” is 3 inches shorter than me. Name me one footballer who has made the grade at Leeds United who is/was that short! 😉
Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles, Bobby Collins.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Simon smaller than Sommerville, also a very good winger, who's considered on the small side....
1 - Revie
2 - Bielsa
3 - Wilkinson

THE LEEDS LEGENDS ... never to be forgotten

THE LAST REAMINING ORTA/RADS FAN
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Clitheroe White wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:42 pm Leeds could sell him to Chelsea for a knock down fee (40m) and then stick a few million at bookies for 25/1. Quids in!
Now there's a thought :lol:
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:30 am Morning pal, you can get 25's on Raph going to Chelsea

raphinha.jpg
That would be worth a punt :duno: :)
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

weasel wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:43 pm Think there was a player once on our books called William Bremner. He was 5ft 4inches. Not sure if he made the grade might have to see if someone can check the archives.
Beat me to it.

Different era, to be sure, but he was the greatest player ever to don the white.