MOTforum best Stand Up Comic poll

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic poll- LIST ON PAGE 2 PLEASE CHECK I HAVE EVERYONE AND SO YOU DONT REPEAT CHOICES

Post by Cjay »

Finnatic wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:53 pm Some others who could be added, not necessarily my choices:

Jon Richardson

Stuart Francis

Frank Skinner
Are those nominations?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic poll- LIST ON PAGE 2 PLEASE CHECK I HAVE EVERYONE AND SO YOU DONT REPEAT CHOICES

Post by Cjay »

Clacton White wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:12 pm Not sure if Laurel and Hardy were stand up comedians or not really , obviously famous for their films and I think they did sketches and stuff live but it was more slapstick from what I have seen on YouTube...... don't really know though .
I was going to mention Peter Sellers , maybe one of Britain's greatest comedians , maybe his goon stuff was more stand up , not sure what or if he did live stuff .The funny thing is he didn't think he was funny and had crisis' in confidence about it , but some of his films are hilarious imo . Rowan Atkinson did good live stuff, John Cleese funny but outside of Monty Python again not sure about live performances . I did see Jack Dee once with Mark Lamar as support act . I barely remember either😂, saw Billy Connolly live and that was beyond hilarious , funny to a entirely different level , if it was football he would be champions League funny .
Think Rowan Atkinson could be counted as he has done stand up shows.

Used to like Jack Dee but not so much anymore.

Billy is a legend and if he isn't in the final few at least then something has gone.wrong.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:06 pm Laurel & Hardy we’re comic genius’s so were the Marx Brothers but neither were stand up comedians.

How about Les Dawson? Don’t know if anyone has mentioned him - a very fun man with the deadest pan delivery of all.
Is that a nomination for Les Dawson?
Signed

King Cjay

Jimang
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Jimang »

OK revised list from me

Larry Grayson
Bruce Forsyth
Bernie Winters
Frankie Howard
Ronnie Barker
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Have given it some thought and I don't think Eric Morecambe or Laurel and Hardy can be included.

They weren't stand up comedians.

Am going to be very strict on this.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jimang wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:28 pm OK revised list from me

Larry Grayson
Bruce Forsyth
Bernie Winters
Frankie Howard
Ronnie Barker
Ronnie Barker can't be included.

Having googled Bernie Winters I am not sure he can either (but would listen to people who know more than I as this was before my time).

Was Bruce a stand up? Hmm

Yeah OK think he can be allowed.
Signed

King Cjay

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Forsyth definitely a stand up as was Bernie Winters, I agree Barker was never a stand up, he was a comic actor always working off a script..
Cry Summerville and let slip the dogs of war

PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
Jimang
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Jimang »

Think I am showing my age here cjay, All those I mentioned did stand up. Check out Bernie Winters and Ronnie Barkers monalogues on you tube. Bruce was a genuine all rounder who did stand up, dance, compare and singing in his time. Jimmy Tarbuck also was major stand up comic of the 60s and 70s.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jimang wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:03 pm Think I am showing my age here cjay, All those I mentioned did stand up. Check out Bernie Winters and Ronnie Barkers monalogues on you tube. Bruce was a genuine all rounder who did stand up, dance, compare and singing in his time. Jimmy Tarbuck also was major stand up comic of the 60s and 70s.
It's OK Jimang :)

I wasn't born until 1990 so some of the names mentioned I haven't heard of or never really saw.

Ronnie Barker can't be allowed, he was a comic actor who on Parkinson basically said he had to be playing a character as he wasn't confident being himself.

Ronnie Corbett did stand up but Barker didn't by all account.

Will bow to you and Faaip over Bernie Winters, he can go in.

Are you nominating Jimmy Tarbuck?
Signed

King Cjay

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

OK here's my 5, adding stand ups that really should be included, they'll all go out round 1 but still.

Jeremy Hardy
Linda Smith
Lucy Porter
Jimeoin
Simon Evans
Cry Summerville and let slip the dogs of war

PRO Leeds ... Are You?

THE LAST REMAINING ORTA/RADS FAN
Jimang
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Jimang »

Yes will nominate, Jimmy. Not sure if John Bishop was on the list, he is one of the best of the modern breed I think. Dick Emery is probably a bit questionable for me, I recall he mostly played comedy characters, but maybe he did stand up too. This is certainly a thread for us all to get our teeth into.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jimang wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:19 pm Yes will nominate, Jimmy. Not sure if John Bishop was on the list, he is one of the best of the modern breed I think. Dick Emery is probably a bit questionable for me, I recall he mostly played comedy characters, but maybe he did stand up too. This is certainly a thread for us all to get our teeth into.
I've added Jimmy Tarbuck.

You can nominate John Bishop if you want you have 1 nomination left because Larry Grayson had already been nominated before you
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:14 pm OK here's my 5, adding stand ups that really should be included, they'll all go out round 1 but still.

Jeremy Hardy
Linda Smith
Lucy Porter
Jimeoin
Simon Evans
All added.

I've seen Lucy Porter on Mock the Week.

Simon Evans I think I saw on Live at The Apollo once
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Peter Kay
Milton Jones
Sarah Millican
Lee Evans
Harry Hill
Bernard Manning
Mike Reid
Billy Connolly
Jimmy Carr
Jim Davidson

Jasper Carrot
Chubby Brown
Chris Rock
Bill Hicks
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Dave Allen (sit down comic)
Tommy Cooper
Michael McIntyre
Kevin Bridges

Mitch Hedberg
Dylan Moran
Michelle Wolf
Sean Lock
Micky Flanagan.
Freddie Starr.
Ricky Gervais
George Carlin
Bob Monkhouse
Lee Mack

Ricky Gervais
Spike Milligan
Joan Rivers
Paula Poundstone
Dennis Blair
Charlie Williams
Mike Reid
Stan Boardman
Duggie Brown
Phil Cool

Ken Dodd
Robin Williams
Jo Brand
Victoria Wood
Rhod Gilbert
Greg Davies
Larry Grayson
Kevin Bloody Wilson
Ben Elton
Eddie Izzard

Stewart Lee
Daniel Kitson
Jonny Vegas
Ross Noble
Frankie Howard
Bruce Forsyth
Bernie Winters
Jimmy Tarbuck
Jeremy Hardy
Linda Smith

Lucy Porter
Jimeoin
Simon Evans
John Bishop
Jim Carrey
Charlie Chuck
Bill Burr
Alexei Sayle
Bob Mortimer
Dave Chappelle

Jon Richardson
Andy Kaufman
Frank Skinner
Jerry Sadowitz
Stuart Francis
Lenny Bruce
Rik Mayall
Bill Bailey
Jethro
Les Dawson
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Jimang
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: MOTforum best Stand Up Comic poll- LIST ON PAGE 4

Post by Jimang »

OK will nominate Bish, I think he deserves to be on the list.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jim Carrey.

My last nomination
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jimang wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:20 pm OK will nominate Bish, I think he deserves to be on the list.
Added
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dave Allen the funniest by a country mile, one of the original stand-up comics.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Less than 24 hours left to nominate if you haven't already done so and haven't already had your 5 allowed nominations.

I hope it ends up on an easy total to divide by :lol:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:12 pm Dave Allen the funniest by a country mile, one of the original stand-up comics.
Remember seeing clips of him as a kid.

Always sat on a chair with a ciggy and a drink.
Signed

King Cjay