Joel Robles

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Joel Robles

Post by Cjay »

According to reports from reliable sources we are close to signing our backup keeper.

32 year old former Athletic Madrid, Everton and Real Betis goalkeeper Joel Robles.

A former Spanish youth International there is no getting around it, he has spent his career largely as a backup aside from a few spells.

Isn't to say he hasn't had highlights.

Was a regular in the Wigan FA Cup winning side of 2013 under Roberto Martinez.

Martinez took him to Everton as his backup goalie and made him his number 1 for the majority of his (Martinez) final season at Everton.

Was number 1 at Real Betis a few years back and was 1st choice goalie under Manuel Pellegrini for Betis in the Copa Del Rey recently (they were beaten Quarter Finalists).

He isn't the most exciting name but he seems well respected

Everton fans seemed to feel he didn't get the chances he deserved and Betis fans seemed to rate him.

A decent number 2 hopefully.

Manuel Pellegrini and Roberto Martinez trusted him and they are no mugs so clearly has something about him.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Joel Robles- DEAL CLOSE

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Exactly what we need as back up to Meslier
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Joel Robles

Post by 1964white »

Joel needs to start against Fulham & possibly for the remainder of the season.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Joel Robles - Time for our No.2 keeper to step up to the plate

Post by Musicman1965 »

Probably an unpopular post to say that Meslier is not doing his job but the recent games he must take some of the blame. The defensive unit is an absolute shambles and Robles would be my choice to finish the season. What do you do with the rest. Firpo looks out of his depth so Pascal needs to take the LB position. Koch and Cooper in the centre although there are still not the strongest of pairings. RB is a major problem but it was never strengthened when we all knew the weaknesses. Kristenson is a championship players at best and our best RB is currently enjoying a strong season with Luton Town. Garcia has major selection problems and our next few games are key to our survival. Can we recall Cresswell? Would it make a difference? The Liverpool game was never going to be easy especially after the Palace mauling.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Musicman1965 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:11 pm Probably an unpopular post to say that Meslier is not doing his job but the recent games he must take some of the blame. The defensive unit is an absolute shambles and Robles would be my choice to finish the season. What do you do with the rest. Firpo looks out of his depth so Pascal needs to take the LB position. Koch and Cooper in the centre although there are still not the strongest of pairings. RB is a major problem but it was never strengthened when we all knew the weaknesses. Kristenson is a championship players at best and our best RB is currently enjoying a strong season with Luton Town. Garcia has major selection problems and our next few games are key to our survival. Can we recall Cresswell? Would it make a difference? The Liverpool game was never going to be easy especially after the Palace mauling.
Robles, Ayling, Koch, Wober & Struijk would be my keeper & back four with Cooper as stand-by if required.

I don't want to see Pascal ever play as a CB again, certainly not at this level.

No there is no recall for Cresswell.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

If Wober and Cooper are fit enough I would go with a back three and wingbacks, Koch - Wober - Cooper. Ayling RWB and I would be tempted to play either Jack or Gnonto left.

That should make us more secure at the back. Roca needs ditching as well, no energy or pace, his tracking runners is non existent.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:48 pm Robles, Ayling, Koch, Wober & Struijk would be my keeper & back four with Cooper as stand-by if required.

I don't want to see Pascal ever play as a CB again, certainly not at this level.

No there is no recall for Cresswell.
Really not sure about Ayling, with an important game away to Fulham we need some sort balance and for me Ayling is just not up to the job. Maybe a change in formation 1-3-4- 2-1. At least the space in front of the weak full backs will give extra cover. Gracia needs to earn his corn as we need at least a point at the cottage
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

I wouldn't pick Robles over Meslier. But with no leadership at the back? Maybe we need his experience. Does he have what it takes to rollick Roca and McKennie?
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Musicman1965 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:11 pm Probably an unpopular post to say that Meslier is not doing his job but the recent games he must take some of the blame. The defensive unit is an absolute shambles and Robles would be my choice to finish the season. What do you do with the rest. Firpo looks out of his depth so Pascal needs to take the LB position. Koch and Cooper in the centre although there are still not the strongest of pairings. RB is a major problem but it was never strengthened when we all knew the weaknesses. Kristenson is a championship players at best and our best RB is currently enjoying a strong season with Luton Town. Garcia has major selection problems and our next few games are key to our survival. Can we recall Cresswell? Would it make a difference? The Liverpool game was never going to be easy especially after the Palace mauling.
Agreed re: Pascal being LB. Looks out of his depth as a CB. If Wober is fit, you play him over Cooper, otherwise go with Cooper at LCB.

Re: Cresswell. He’s already back with Leeds as I think he’s got a nasty eye socket injury to recover from, if I recall correctly.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:18 pm I wouldn't pick Robles over Meslier. But with no leadership at the back? Maybe we need his experience. Does he have what it takes to rollick Roca and McKennie?
He at least speaks Roca’s native language. But honestly, I’d be considering Gyabi next game over Roca. Looks miles off the pace at the moment.

I think Robles coupled with a back four of Ayling (better than Rasmus despite his frailties), Koch, Wober/Cooper, and Struijk (better at LB than Firpo) will provide enough leadership and grit to the defense.

Another thought would be to have Wober playing DM and having Cooper play LCB. I rate Wober as our next best destroyer and leader outside of Adams. Something for Javi to think about.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

My own personal view on Meslier is he is OK

Has he got potential? I don’t know.

I played most of my football life in goal and found I was no better after several years although I didn’t have the benefit of any coaching!

He’s had plenty of shot stopping practice and he’s good, but as is often said, so should any decent keeper.

Does he command his box . Below the standard needed IMO.

Distribution. Some good, some truly awful.

In essence, I think we need at least a temporary change.
1964white

Re: Joel Robles

Post by 1964white »

Robles becomes the first Leeds goalkeeper to make his league debut against the team top of the league at the time since Jimmy Potts in February 1926 against Huddersfield Town. A baptism of fire.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:53 pm Robles becomes the first Leeds goalkeeper to make his league debut against the team top of the league at the time since Jimmy Potts in February 1926 against Huddersfield Town. A baptism of fire.
How did Potts get on and was it a good game?
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:06 pm How did Potts get on and was it a good game?
13-0 terrible game
Potts was never seen again. Ended up potless without a pot to piss in.
hector

Post by hector »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:15 pm 13-0 terrible game
Did you get this info from 1st hand account from '64 White??
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:18 pm I wouldn't pick Robles over Meslier. But with no leadership at the back? Maybe we need his experience. Does he have what it takes to rollick Roca and McKennie?
Well you've made yourself look a right tw@t with your anti-Roble's comments the last 7/8 months: especially on my Robles post from last year. Entitled to your opinion and all that but....
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Jaydog wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:15 pm 13-0 terrible game
:lol: :lol: :lol: We expected 13-0 today tbf...
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Did well enough.

Made a decent save or two

Has to start from now on
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:58 pm Well you've made yourself look a right tw@t with your anti-Roble's comments the last 7/8 months: especially on my Robles post from last year. Entitled to your opinion and all that but....
Not sure I made myself look a twat. I think you're just looking to feel better about posting this all those months ago.

No anti-Robles here at all. If you read back on the Robles thread I said he was exactly the signing we needed at the time. In fact, on the one you quoted me on, I was saying there was an argument to bring Robles back in. I maintain Meslier is the better keeper. He will rise to a much higher level than Robles ever has. But I do agree there's a time for a more experienced head right now.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:53 pm Robles becomes the first Leeds goalkeeper to make his league debut against the team top of the league at the time since Jimmy Potts in February 1926 against Huddersfield Town. A baptism of fire.
Wonder if Scum were top of the league when Radebe went in goal. That could count as a debut in goal too.