Sgt Wilco..

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Sgt Wilco..

Post by Haighy »

Nephew went to see the great man yesterday..
Nephew went to see the great man yesterday..
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Sgt Wilco..

Post by Leeds1000 »

Barmy Army. Great picture. He looks alot like my old man these days.
Rover
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Rover »

Legend
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Wilko needs to purchase some trendy shorts, looks like he's about to take off :lol: at least socks are white.

Nice photo all the same, Haighy. I bet your nephew was chuffed to bits.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

1964white wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:18 pm Wilko needs to purchase some trendy shorts, looks like he's about to take off :lol: at least socks are white.

Nice photo all the same, Haighy. I bet your nephew was chuffed to bits.
He was shocked how nice and very talkative he was. He was there over an hour.
He then drove my nephew to the station in Sheffield.. 👍
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Haighy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:29 pm He was shocked how nice and very talkative he was. He was there over an hour.
He then drove my nephew to the station in Sheffield.. 👍
A knowledgeable, thoughtful man.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

True Leeds legend. Our second most successful manager after the great Revie. Word is that the training ground will be named after Bielsa - totally justified IMO. But I do think the club should do something to memorialize Wilkinson too. We were lower in the 2nd division when Wilkinson took over than when Bielsa took over. Unbelievable that he took us from there to the best team in the country in 3 years
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Wonderful to see the great man looking good.
In my book Howard Wilkinson is second only to Revie. No one else comes close.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:24 pm True Leeds legend. Our second most successful manager after the great Revie. Word is that the training ground will be named after Bielsa - totally justified IMO. But I do think the club should do something to memorialize Wilkinson too. We were lower in the 2nd division when Wilkinson took over than when Bielsa took over. Unbelievable that he took us from there to the best team in the country in 3 years
Agree with everything apart from imo Thorpe Arch should be named after Wilkinson. It was his creation..
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:24 pm True Leeds legend. Our second most successful manager after the great Revie. Word is that the training ground will be named after Bielsa - totally justified IMO. But I do think the club should do something to memorialize Wilkinson too. We were lower in the 2nd division when Wilkinson took over than when Bielsa took over. Unbelievable that he took us from there to the best team in the country in 3 years
A different game in those pre-Premier League days before billionaire owners’ and Sky money started sloshing around, and at the time, having, of course, lived and supported Leeds through the Revie era, I remember thinking only that we were back where we naturally belong - the upper echelons of the English game, and competing for domestic and European titles.

Looking back now though I can clearly see it for what it was, a truly astonishing and, as you say unbelievable, achievement.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Haighy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:36 am Agree with everything apart from imo Thorpe Arch should be named after Wilkinson. It was his creation..
I'd have to contest that, I think it should be named after Hockaday.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Several pints beforehand, terracing, Vinnie, Strachan, Bats, Speedy etc, great games, bouncing crowds and unbelievable atmosphere. All down to Wilko . They where special times.