The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd September) Joffy admits lack of game time have affected his performances

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd September) Joffy admits lack of game time have affected his performances

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 23rd September, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Joffy admits lack of game time have affected his performances

Academy Dreams, the first of a six-part series, going behind the scenes of last season’s developmental squad, goes live today on Amazon Prime. Narrated by Vinny Jones, the documentary gives a close and personal account of life as a teenager, trying to make a career out of the game they love. To mark the promotion, Phil Hay sat down with Joe Gelhardt and Sam Greenwood (who feature heavily in the documentary), for a quick fire Q and A session, where Joffy in particular pulled no punches.

He spoke about his frustrations of last season, due to a lack of match time, and indicates that it effected his performances. Although physically fit, by not playing matches, he was rarely match fit, and the 20yo believes he lost his match sharpness.

Sometimes people just see the lifestyle of footballers but not what they go through. You’re not getting picked or you’re getting abused on social media if you’re not playing so well. People forget that we’re humans sometimes and we have feelings. It’s part of the job, though. You get on with it.

We weren’t playing many minutes at all (last season). You’d have maybe 45 minutes for the ’23s and then 10 for the first team. It’s hard to keep your fitness up, your match fitness. You can run all you want but when you don’t have match sharpness, you’re not going to be at your best. For me, that was the most difficult part of the season. Every time I went down to the ’23s, it was doing my head in that we were in a relegation battle as well — the first team and the ’23s, it was both important.

Orta speaks of European ambitions

Victor Orta has European ambitions - but before anyone begins to panic, his aspirations are very much focused on Leeds Utd. The flamboyant Director of Football has been widely tipped to join up with Todd Boehly and Graham Potter at Chelsea, ahead of a bust January transfer window, but during a down to earth interview with 'The Telegraph, Orta spoke of stability, and building a successful future at Elland Road.

It is as problematic to be too conservative as it is to be too ambitious. I think Leeds have to consolidate the project, to be between 14th and 10th, to take steps to reach the top 10 on a regular basis in two years’ time.

It is complicated. With the current business model in the Premier League, the top six is almost unattainable. Leicester and West Ham have broken through in recent years, but it's not easy. To be in the top 10 would already be a great success.

I’d be delighted if something else comes along, like being able to play in the Conference League or, of course, the Europa League. I have that as a goal. Ever since I arrived, it’s something I’ve been obsessing about. But it wouldn’t be to do anything new, but to put the club in its place.

We have stable shareholders and a way of working that does not put the club at risk. It is one of our keys. Nothing is going to change in the short term. I’m sure [chairman] Andrea Radrizzani is very happy here. He set himself five years to get promotion, and he got it in three. Now we have stayed in the Premier League these two years, and now we are trying to stabilise. We have used all the money from the sales to strengthen, and that speaks well of the owners.

Greenwood's relegation frustrations

During his Interview with Phil Hay, Sam Greenwood spoke of his frustrations, having seen the U23's relegated last season. He was desperate to try and assist his young teammates and steer them out of danger; but having been promoted to the senior squad, his game time had been slashed, even though his contributions to the first XI were negligible

It wasn't until March, when Marsch took over the Reins at Elland Road, that the duo (including Joffy) would start to receive regular cameo first team game time. There was absolutely no reason why two 19yo's (as they would have been last season) couldn't have contributed a lot more to both causes!

At that age, they'll want to be playing at every opportunity, and obviously the situation would need to be carefully monitored; but a rare cameo role here and there does little to help their development or keep them match fit! According to Greenwood...

We didn’t play every minute for the ’23s but when we did, it meant you had to be on your best performance. I liked the challenge of trying to stay up and when we stepped down, because the ’23s were struggling too, there was the challenge of being a role model to the other lads, trying my best to get us out of it. It can be frustrating when you know you’re only going to play 45 minutes for the ’23s. You can only try your best in the time you’ve got to make an impact.

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd September) Joffy admits lack of game time have affected his performances

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Agree
Agree
Agree
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd September) Joffy admits lack of game time have affected his performances

Post by Kennyb41 »

I don't really know what to comment on other than : I'd personally drive Orta to Chelsea for free.

And pick up BHA's scout on the way back if Potter doesn't request him.

Firpo/Cucurella.

Here i'll stick my neck out and say : Now Bert has gone, we will never ever ever reach Europe whilst this pillock is in charge of our football club, and that's ever until he has gone.

Radz we know is already planning his exit and we'll be left to rot with the yanks bleeding us dry and Orta and his database of shite.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Thought we were out of Europe since Brexit.

Apart from where I live where the metric is as follows.

If you can charge your customers more using UK regs do it no one is representing them.
If you can charge your customers more using EU regs do that as well, no one is representing them there either.

Joffy...should have got more game time however he claimed he was fit in that interview but he had two back injuries he has forgotten about.

Orta. Be careful what you wish for gents.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

No need to be careful, he got Bert here that's his biggest lucky achievement by far, and in that it tells me he hasn't a clue about good football because he sacked him.

And that i find hard to digest, speaks volumes, a person that can actually pay money for a player like Sacko, yet sack a genius.

The man be stealing a living, and it's a shame it will all have to go tits up for folk to see it.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Nostradamus predicted it. He said “some pollock (intentional) will ruin a great institution in 2023”.
This has widely been acknowledged as relating to Leeds Utd FC.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:22 am Nostradamus predicted it. He said “some pollock (intentional) will ruin a great institution in 2023”.
Great player.
Won the WC with Italy and was a stalwart in defence for Lazio and Milan

They don't make them like him anymore.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Orta speaking common sense again ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:38 am Great player.
Won the WC with Italy and was a stalwart in defence for Lazio and Milan

They don't make them like him anymore.
Spot on. If you’d seen him as a kid you would never have predicted it
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Maybe finally dawning on them that achieving European football isn’t as straight forward as it used to be and that with the current business model it will be all but impossible without a lot of luck - it’s disheartening to know that it’s unlikely we will ever grace the champions league again.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I wish our young first teamers would get more game time in the U21's. They're never really getting match fit playing 20 minutes here and there. I get that they don't play when the reserves play Friday and the seniors on Saturday. But when it's a few days in between games, they should be playing more reserve games.

It would probably be more useful at youth level to use the 5 subs like the seniors do. The aim of youth football is to develop youth players. You can do that better if you have more substitutions available.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:22 am Nostradamus predicted it. He said “some pollock (intentional) will ruin a great institution in 2023”.
Good old Nostra… Great reader of the game. Always seemed to know where the ball was gonna be
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Pullhard wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:01 pm Good old Nostra… Great reader of the game. Always seemed to know where the ball was gonna be
😀
He died from severe gout that led to edema. That’s severe water retention I think. How come he didn’t see that coming. Because he was mostly pissed & spouting nonsense.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Is this Joes way of saying to Jesse that he better get some game time.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:07 pm 😀
mostly pissed & spouting nonsense.
Proper football fan then :roflmao:
'
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

faaip wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:48 am Orta speaking common sense again ....
And you believing it again.....
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Talking about Europe again. :sleep: While running us on a Championship budget. Talk the talk but can't walk the walk.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:07 pm 😀
He died from severe gout that led to edema. That’s severe water retention I think. How come he didn’t see that coming. Because he was mostly pissed & spouting nonsense.
Knowing something was going to happen and stopping it are two very diffetent things. Medicine at the time was far more primitive than it is now. Nostradamus was also a healer but unable to successfully treat his gout which affected him for many years. Late June he got his lawyers to draw up his will and then died overnight on July 1st to July 2nd - allegedly telling his secretary that she wouldn't find him alive in the morning.

A bit like me saying at some point in the future I will insult welsh people on here. Try as I might, despite knowing this and the upset I could cause if they were capable of reading, I fear I will be powerless to stop it happening.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:29 pm Knowing something was going to happen and stopping it are two very diffetent things. Medicine at the time was far more primitive than it is now. Nostradamus was also a healer but unable to successfully treat his gout which affected him for many years. Late June he got his lawyers to draw up his will and then died overnight on July 1st to July 2nd - allegedly telling his secretary that she wouldn't find him alive in the morning.

A bit like me saying at some point in the future I will insult welsh people on here. Try as I might, despite knowing this and the upset I could cause if they were capable of reading, I fear I will be powerless to stop it happening.
Sorry, I didn’t realise you were a Nostradamus expert.
I probably should have predicted that.

You’ll pay for all these Welsh slurs at some point. The current rate is 3 welsh pence per insult. You currently owe £2.63 or double the Welsh economy
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:11 pm Sorry, I didn’t realise you were a Nostradamus expert.
I probably should have predicted that.

You’ll pay for all these Welsh slurs at some point. The current rate is 3 welsh pence per insult. You currently owe £2.63 or double the Welsh economy
Now for a way to take this topic in a completely new direction. Given that Nostradamus could supposedly tell the future but to a large degree he could do nothing to really affect it (including stopping his own death) if any of us had the power to change 1 thing in the history of the world what would you choose to do?

Feel free everyone to answer on here, I have already predicted who I think will give the best answer. Congratulations to Derek, our extra-terrestrial visitor from Mars, who inadvertently became a member of the forum when he mistranslated the forum name and thought it was Martians On Together. Unfortunately Derek left us after being accused of not being from Mars but actually being Marcello Bielsa by Chapelallman.

*** Some of the above paragragh may not be true.