Pele- Rest In Peace

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Pele- Rest In Peace

Post by Cjay »

82 year old Legendary Brazilian striker has been hospitalised in the last 24 hours.

His daughter Kely Nascimento said her father had been taken to hospital to help regulate the medication given to him for a colon tumour and there wasn't great concern.

ESPN Brazil report he is receiving antibiotics for bronchopneumonia.

The Brazilian icon is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time.

He was diagnosed with cancer and received treatment in 2021.

Sending him best wishes.

Also anyone ever see him play?

How good was he?
Last edited by Cjay on Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Pele

Post by 1964white »

Never saw Pele live, though as a young lad I watched the 1966 & 1970 World Cup tournaments on telly.

I would say the greatest footballer ever.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Met Pele and talked about Billy Bremner, 2 legends.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 pm Never saw Pele live, though as a young lad I watched the 1966 & 1970 World Cup tournaments on telly.

I would say the greatest footballer ever.
Cruyff was my favourite but favourite is not best and I'd agree with that without reservation
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Saw him on television only, but the best I have ever seen.

He wasn’t physically imposing, so he took a fearful beating almost every game. Overcame them all.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

I got to see Pele play for New York Cosmos in the old North American Soccer League. He is a legend. He will be in my prayers.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Pele, Cruyff, Best, Maradona, a fag paper between them all. But 3 World Cups probably tips the scales in Pele's favour.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

There is always going to be that comparison between Pele and Maradonna .For me it's always Pele who is the better , there is limited footage compared to Maradonna as Pele didn't play in the age of mass coverage , so we have less to go by .I saw what most of us will have seen in TV , but he was a genius in the age of the hatchet men , and he was strong enough to deal with them too . The equipment they used moved on a hell of a lot from the later days of Pele's days to those of Maradonna .The same sort of applied to Maradonna compared to today's players , equipment and coverage . As we know now you get the goals , all goals , all games from pretty much every angle possible. Maradonna's day you got a few angles maybe , most games but not the scrutiny of now .If Pele played now he would be worth probably 500m maybe , he was that good , Maradonna would probably be a similar price , if you can price them .Not a lot between them , both rightfully legends, but it will always be Pele for me whi is the reatest of all time .Mind you Garrincha before Pele was pretty good too and even less film of him .I guess that's what makes the mystery and legend and myth of these players .....it's more word of mouth of those who saw them .
Anyway , hope Pele is well soon .
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I guess its a generation thing. It will always be Maradonna for me. I struggle to think of any one player who could could carry a game like Maradonna did. I don't think there is any doubt he was the most instinctively naturally gifted player of all time. Its a shame because of his lifestyle i don't think he ever reached his full potential.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Hope Pele is ok,

Never saw him.

Had to settle for Cruyff and Best.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:09 pm 82 year old Legendary Brazilian striker has been hospitalised in the last 24 hours.

His daughter Kely Nascimento said her father had been taken to hospital to help regulate the medication given to him for a colon tumour and there wasn't great concern.

ESPN Brazil report he is receiving antibiotics for bronchopneumonia.

The Brazilian icon is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time.

He was diagnosed with cancer and received treatment in 2021.

Sending him best wishes.

Also anyone ever see him play?

How good was he?
Sad news Cjay.

Definitely one of the greatest for me, but Cruyff was the best.

Never got to watch Pele live, but he was the focal point of that 1970 World Cup team. Unbelievable player.

I was lucky enough to got to the 74 World Cup and saw Cruyff and that great Dutch team twice. Also saw Zico and Rivelino :love:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Pele #1 for me
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Pele has been moved to end of life care as his cancer stopped responding to treatment according to Brazilian media.

Messages of support have been posted by people like Ronaldo, Mbappe and Rivaldo.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Pele- Moved to end of life care according to reports

Post by SG90 »

Please no :verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

Come on Pele please 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

If it is the end i hope it quite, peaceful and moves quickly for the family.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Tighthead wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:08 pm If it is the end i hope it quite, peaceful and moves quickly for the family.
Ditto, my mum has been in a care home end of life since April 21 and it's having a massive effect on us as a family... So hopefully it is a quick quiet ending for the great man and his loved ones
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:11 pm Ditto, my mum has been in a care home end of life since April 21 and it's having a massive effect on us as a family... So hopefully it is a quick quiet ending for the great man and his loved ones
I lost my Father in September, he was in a similar situation but went quite quickly. Hope you get closure as well.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

All very sad for Pele & those on here who are enduring similar distressing circumstances.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

He has died in the last hour. Unconfirmed reports say
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Maradona, Cryuff, Di Stefano, Puskas, now potentially Pele all gone :verysad: