The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th December) - Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th December) - Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 7th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign

Leeds have always had a fall guy when the chips are down, whether it be Tom Lees or more recently Junior Firpo. The 26 year old has endured a torrid time since his £13m transfer from Barcelona, 18 months ago; and has been dogged by injury in recent times. Fourteen games in, and the former Spanish U21 International is yet to start a game for the Whites, though to be fair, persistent groin injuries have hampered his progress. Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign at Elland Road? Is he as bad as what people say, and if so, should Leeds try and cash in on him in January?

Is history repeating itself

We're nearly halfway through the season, and Leeds lie mercilessly close to the foot of the table, with two points separating them from the Championship trap door. The similarities between our present predicament compared to our standing at this point last season are uncannily similar.

Leeds are on the same number of points as they were at this point last season, same place in the league (15th), and the same number of points between them and the relegation zone. What do Leeds need to do to stop a repeat of last season? Are we better equipped this season for a relegation dog fight or, without Raphinha and Phillips are we in a worse predicament?

Is Chris Wood the answer

Being linked with ex-players are part of the course at Elland Road, but this one won't go away. It's been over 5 years since Chris Wood graced Elland Road (in a Leeds top), and at the grand old age of 31 (today), could make a surprise return.

We all scoffed when Newcastle splashed out £25m for the New Zealand International, but twelve months on, he could be on his way back! With 265 minutes of game time under his belt this season, and one solidary goal, there's plenty of reasons why Eddie Howe wants rid of Wood. He currently languishes in 18th spot in the Whoscored ranks with a pathetic 6.24 rating.

Would Wood be a good stop gap, or are Leeds setting the bar too low?

Attachments
a12345.jpg
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th December) Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign

Post by Clitheroe White »

Firpo smear campaign? I don't think so, from what I have seen he hasn't been all that impressive (my own opinion)

History repeating...at the moment, Yes. There is a chance to change this course in January by obtaining a :LB and more fire power up front. Time will tell...then we will see what history brings

Chris Woods? He was alright for us. burnley fans generally liked him and suspect he is available on loan for not crazy money. However, this doesn't feel like a step forward. More like a stop gap to stagnate.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 7th December) Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Firpo has not really had a consistent run of games but you can only go on what we’ve seen so far and what we’ve seen so far isn’t at all promising.

The difference this time is that we have a game in hand over our rivals - that only means something if you don’t lose it of course! No doubt we are are in a relegation dogfight again this term.

Is Wood the answer? No!
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Clitheroe White wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:19 am Firpo smear campaign? I don't think so, from what I have seen he hasn't been all that impressive (my own opinion)

History repeating...at the moment, Yes. There is a chance to change this course in January by obtaining a :LB and more fire power up front. Time will tell...then we will see what history brings

Chris Woods? He was alright for us. burnley fans generally liked him and suspect he is available on loan for not crazy money. However, this doesn't feel like a step forward. More like a stop gap to stagnate.
This spot on :tup:

I'd take Woods on loan for the rest of this season
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

No
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Can Woods play Lwb?

Cos we arent going to change our attacking strategy to suit him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Firpo has a great left foot, very intelligent passer and can get to the bye line. Defensively he's about the same as Rasmus for me, capable of being caught out upfield, has saved goals by being there instead of the CB who's gone missing. The groin injury is unfortunate meaning a lack of game time but one sorted should mean a run of games should we lose Pascal who rightly holds the left back spot atm...Firpo looked very good pre season the last time he was fully fit, I love the attitude, reminds me of Adams there. He cost 12 M which is f**k all in terms of money in the prem.

A keeper for me but not a starter while Pascal is playing so well...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Firpo was the most underperforming player last season.

He's been injured this season, but I've seen him play for the U21s and he didn't stand out with them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Surely Wood is not the answer to our striker recruitment :roll:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 am Firpo has a great left foot, very intelligent passer and can get to the bye line. Defensively he's about the same as Rasmus for me, capable of being caught out upfield, has saved goals by being there instead of the CB who's gone missing. The groin injury is unfortunate meaning a lack of game time but one sorted should mean a run of games should we lose Pascal who rightly holds the left back spot atm...Firpo looked very good pre season the last time he was fully fit, I love the attitude, reminds me of Adams there. He cost 12 M which is f**k all in terms of money in the prem.

It is too late for him at Leeds imo.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:48 am Firpo has a great left foot, very intelligent passer and can get to the bye line. Defensively he's about the same as Rasmus for me, capable of being caught out upfield, has saved goals by being there instead of the CB who's gone missing. The groin injury is unfortunate meaning a lack of game time but one sorted should mean a run of games should we lose Pascal who rightly holds the left back spot atm...Firpo looked very good pre season the last time he was fully fit, I love the attitude, reminds me of Adams there. He cost 12 M which is f**k all in terms of money in the prem.

Can you please give me the supplier of your rose tinted Faaip.

Whilst reading this about Firpo my cynical mind went to work, could it be his injuries are feigned, you see he's on a big bucks salary from our clown that Firpo himself probably can't believe, let's say he knows he's shite himself but doesn't want to get found out (yeah like we don't know!) so he fakes injury or 'twinges' to remain from playing and being sussed (he is sussed)
There's definitely a case for it.

There's a huge difference to last season, well two actually 1. Jesse has had a virtual full squad for the best part. 2. Bert has gone.

Woods - Idle gossip.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:26 am It is too late for him at Leeds imo.
No clue tbh, he's good enough for Leeds for sure. 12 M is back up price with the hope he does more which he has in him. This forum writes players off after 5 minutes as a general rule, I just like to rail against that short term kneejerk uninformed opinion when I'm feeling salty

I've stood up for

Kalvin
Jack
Rodrigo
Junior
Tyler R
Klich

here when they'd been written off by all and sundry...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

One of the biggest things that wound me up during the Chris Wood era was the commentary from Thom Kirwin, always referring to him as Woods.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 am No clue tbh, he's good enough for Leeds for sure. 12 M is back up price with the hope he does more which he has in him. This forum writes players off after 5 minutes as a general rule, I just like to rail against that short term kneejerk uninformed opinion when I'm feeling salty

I've stood up for

Kalvin
Jack
Rodrigo
Junior
Tyler R
Klich

I know you do and I do too, it is just in his case I can't see him getting a run in the team to get him anywhere near were need him to be.

He has missed what will be essentially two preseasons worth of prep, add that to our tactical weakness in those defensive areas and I just cant see him getting going.

Pity, it all started so well, that lovely cross to Bamford for the opening goal in our friendly against Real Betis suggested good things to come.
'
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Firpo bless him hasn’t ever been given much of a chance by the fans but it’s not unfounded criticism, he has had his moments but defensively he is poor - needs to play somewhere that has a more sedate pace to the game.

I can’t see us shelling out big money for a striker in January and Chris wood could be a good option if we got him on loan, definitely shouldn’t be looked at as long term though - if we stay up we would need big investment there.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:48 am No clue tbh, he's good enough for Leeds for sure. 12 M is back up price with the hope he does more which he has in him. This forum writes players off after 5 minutes as a general rule, I just like to rail against that short term kneejerk uninformed opinion when I'm feeling salty

I've stood up for

Kalvin
Jack
Rodrigo
Junior
Tyler R
Klich

But it's not five minutes, Faaip

Jack has always been inconsistent.
It took Rodrigo the best part of two seasons to wake up & smell the coffee.
Firpo has been at ER eighteen months
For all his endeavour Tyler never really cracked it at PL level, hence struggling in the championship again.
Age & pace has sadly caught up with poor old Klich.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The smell of coffee makes me feel sick so no thanks.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

The only thing that Firpo has been smeared with is his own shitness!
We've got to aim a little higher than Chris Wood for a new striker.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Is Firpo the victim of a smear campaign.

Nar... he's not provided anything of note to smear him with. The fact he can't oust our best CB tells its own story. He may come good one day, usually when they have a year left on their contracts.

Is history repeating itself.

Keep the faith.... Wait until the 49ers open the chequebook next month.

Is Chris Wood the answer.

He's lump in the Bamford sense so if he's willing to run about i'd take him on loan yeah defo.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Firpo - just not EPL standard.

Woods - I would take him on an end of season loan providing he is fit and motivated. He can hold the ball up and would be a very useful outlet to stop the ball coming back so quickly in the last 20 minutes of games. He is also dangerous at the set piece.
Although I think Newcastle will look to offload permanently.