The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 8th December) - Gakpo: I had doubts about joining Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 8th December) - Gakpo: I had doubts about joining Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 8th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

I had doubts about joining Leeds - Gakpo

Speaking ahead of Holland's quarter-final clash against Argentina tomorrow night, Cody Gakpo has revealed he had doubts about joining Leeds last Summer, which ultimately scuppered the deal. With 20 goals (three from the World Cup), and 15 assists so far this season, it seems the 23 year old is destined for a top Champions League club. He plans to enlist God's help before making a decision, but has not ruled out a move to Old Trafford!

I haven’t heard from Manchester United yet. If they come, I will think about it with God’s help. I thought about Man Utd last summer, but when that didn’t happen, I didn’t know anymore. Then Leeds arrived, I had doubts… now I wait and see.

German newspaper reveals true cost of JKA arrangement

German News outlet 'Bild' have revealed the true financial impact the 'Jean-Kevin Augustin debarkle has had on Leeds Utd. Not only will they have to pay the full €21m, but have also been sent an invoice for €340,000, relating to interest. Fortunately, due to good relations they have with Victor Orta, Leipzig have agreed a payment plan, meaning Leeds can pay back their German counterparts in manageable chunks.

Gyabi loving life at Leeds

Speaking from Leeds training ground in Alicante, Darko Gyabi has given his first interview, since leaving the Etihad in the Summer in a £5m deal, which saw Kalvin Phillips heading the other way. At 18yo, Gyabi is far from the finished article, but continuous to work hard on the training pitch and learn from the more experienced midfielders.

Not just Tyler, but Marc, Klichy, all the midfielders. Learning, just learning the little details like where their positioning is when we don’t have the ball and when we do have the ball the spaces they’re picking up to receive. So crazy it was so welcoming. When I first came I wasn’t really expecting it because they’re all first-team established, but they were so welcoming showing me around the training ground. Like checking their shoulders, scanning, trying to receive and turn and play forwards. That stuff and trying to take it all in.

There's no doubt Gyabi has bags of potential, but with his only appearance this season coming in the League Cup (against Wolves last month), surely a loan move in January would suit all parties, where he can be playing first team football every week?

Leeds star relives horror smash that broke his neck

For the first time since breaking his neck back in August, Dani van den Heuvel has opened up about the car accident which almost ended his life. Heuvel was a passenger in a car (along with three other players and a staff member) that had to swerve to avoid an oncoming vehicle, only to smash into a traffic pole, leaving him unconscious with multiple injuries. It's taken a while, but the 19 year old returned to training last month, and recently took part in a friendly against Valencia (for the U21's).

It was a bad, bad crash. There was one staff member and three other players in the car. We were driving on the main road and someone tried to cross the road from a side road. We had to avoid him, so our driver steered right. We drove into a traffic pole. I was unlucky that I was in the middle backseat so I was the only one who didn’t get an airbag. I was the worst injured.

I was unconscious. After the impact, I can’t remember anything. I woke up in the car. The car was smoking, beeping. There was glass everywhere. I remember my jaw was really painful, my neck just felt really stiff. It was scary. Did I worry for my life? Yes, definitely. That quick moment when everything goes dark, when I think back about it, it is just like an empty space. It was a terrifying experience."

Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 8th December) - Gakpo: I had doubts about joining Leeds

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I always thought it was Gakpo himself who didn’t fancy the move to Leeds. Oh well, onwards and upwards?

I’m not surprised Orta is on good terms with Leipzig. Anyone who’s mug enough to part with a cool £21m for a dud like JKA would be welcomed by any club.

The under 21s need to get back to the big boys league for next season so we can’t have all our best youngsters getting splinters on the 1st team bench or being sent out on loan.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 8th December) - Gakpo: I had doubts about joining Leeds

Post by weasel »

Darko Gyabi -
Not just Tyler, but Marc, Klichy, all the midfielders. Learning, just learning the little details like where their positioning is when we don’t have the ball and when we do have the ball the spaces they’re picking up to receive. Then I made my first team debut and realised that everything they had taught me didn't matter and instead all I had to do was run around the pitch chasing the ball wherever it was. When we won the ball it didn't matter about finding space as I had ended up nowhere near the position I should be so I just had to hope someone could pass to me.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Re Gakpo, I can’t really see God directing him to play for a team nicknamed the Red Devils.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.