Nottingham Forest 1-0 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Nottingham Forest 1-0 Leeds Utd - Match Debate

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sunday 5th February 2:00pm | City Ground

A rejuvenated Nottingham Forest host Leeds United on Sunday lunchtime, hoping to extend their impressive run of late, which includes three wins and two draws from their last six games. Spending big this season is finally paying off for Steve Cooper, whose 29 new signings (this season) have helped lift them above Leeds to 13th place, three points above the Whites.

If there ever was a time a club needed three points, this is it. Leeds are just a palce above the drop zone, level on points with Everton in 18th. With Leeds facing Manchester Utd both home and away after the trip to the City Ground, it could be a difficult week points wise. Leeds haven’t won any of their last 12 top-flight league meetings away at Forest, though to be fair, this is the first time they have met for 24 years (in the Premier League).

Forests blatant disregard towards FFP continued into the New Year with the arrivals of Danilo and Gustavo Scarpa, (both from Palmeiras), Chris Wood and Jonjo Shelvey (from Newcastle), André Ayew (Al Sadd) Navas, (PSG) and Felipe (Atletico Madrid). Chris Wood is ruled out with flu, though the other six are available for Sunday. Taiwo Awoniyi (groin), Omar Richards (calf), Morgan Gibbs-White (ankle), Giulian Biancone (knee), Ryan Yates (illness), Cheikhou Kouyate (thigh), Dean Henderson (thigh) and Moussa Niakhate (thigh) also miss out for the hosts.

Leeds will be without leading goal scorer Rodrigo, who underwent surgery on his ankle, ruling him out until at least April. Fit again Patrick Bamford will start as his replacement, alongside record signing Gnonto and Sinisterra. Robin Koch serves a one match ban for picking up his fifth yellow card of the season against Brentford last month. I Having played 19 League games now, Roca and Kristensen (both on four bookings) are safe. The next caveat is a two match ban for any player who receives 10 bookings by Leeds 32nd game.

In Koch's absence, Liam Cooper will play alongside Max Wober. Coops had been carrying a knock, and only returned to training on Thursday morning. He and Wober. are both left footed, but would be the strongest centre back pairing by far. Marsch had to decide whether to stick with Firpo at left back, or bring back Pascal Struijk. Firpo started the Cup game at the Wham Stadium (and scored) but it is Struijk who gets the nod.

Tyler Adams was also carrying a knock, but will play. New boy Weston McKennie makes the bench. We're hoping for great things from him, and can't wait to see him and Adams start to dominate the midfield.

Be more secure streaming games this season! Get NordVPN with 68% off + 3 months free...

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Nottingham Forest v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by BGwhite »

They have more injured than we have in the squad ! Think this will be another nail in JM's coffin as I don't think we'll withstand the onslaught.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Can just about override my pessimism on this one. It’s a game we can win and I expect us to do it - they are a team of mercenaries with little cohesion. We have a good day and it could be 0-3
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm pleased Gibbs-White will be missing, I rate him.
Our defence is even more of a worry with our first choice right sided CB missing. I think he'll go with Ayling and play Kristensen at RB.
I predict it will be

Meslier
Kristensen
Ayling
Wober
Struijk
Rutter
Adams
Roca
Harrison
Bamford
Gnonto

Subs
Robles
Firpo
Mckennie
Greenwood
Summerville
Sinisterra
Joseph
Perkins
Aaronson

All this depends on whether Cooper is fit obviously.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

McKennie surely must play need to see what he's got to offer
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:16 am I'm pleased Gibbs-White will be missing, I rate him.
Our defence is even more of a worry with our first choice right sided CB missing. I think he'll go with Ayling and play Kristensen at RB.
I predict it will be

Meslier
Kristensen
Ayling
Wober
Struijk
Rutter
Adams
Roca
Harrison
Bamford
Gnonto

Subs
Robles
Firpo
Mckennie
Greenwood
Summerville
Sinisterra
Joseph
Perkins
Aaronson

All this depends on whether Cooper is fit obviously.
I will be very surprised if McKennie and Aaronson are not in the starting line up. The USMINT lads know each others games and will have chemistry in the middle of the park.
I would play Rutter on the right as his ball carrying ability will be important away from home.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

He's got a lot of players but how long does it take to integrate them as a team, depends on whether their individual football clicks and they perform, he should know out of all of these what his best formation and style will be to suit his best players.

Jesse should also know what defenders will perform better for him in the absence of Koch, i should think he'll go with :

Ayling - Wober - Cooper - Pascal

Ayling - Pascal - Wober - Firpo...won't be good enough at all to me.

Ayling - Wober - Cooper - Firpo...I doubt.

He should know out of Ayling, Wober, Pascal and Cooper who will most comfortably slip in at RCH with options being in the other places at RB - LCH - LB

If he gets this right we should have enough going forward and 1-3 win for Leeds.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Tough call on the line up

Meslier
Ayling
Wober
Cooper
Firpo

Adams
McKennie
Roca

Sinisterra
Bamford
Gnonto
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:23 am I will be very surprised if McKennie and Aaronson are not in the starting line up. The USMINT lads know each others games and will have chemistry in the middle of the park.
I would play Rutter on the right as his ball carrying ability will be important away from home.
So who does he leave out to play those two DDB?
I'm not sure Mckennie has been here long enough to warrant a starting place yet, that's the only reason I have him on the bench for this game.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:06 am So who does he leave out to play those two DDB?
I'm not sure Mckennie has been here long enough to warrant a starting place yet, that's the only reason I have him on the bench for this game.
My defence is as per yours. But it is a tough call, Wöber is the most two footed out of our defensive options. If Cooper is fit to play - he may go with that pairing with Ayling and Struijk as the FB’s.

USMINT in the middle with Gnonto on the left and Rutter on the right with Paddy up top.

But is depends on fitness etc. This is a huge game all things considered. I just feel the 3 in the middle is the balance he is after.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Another of our graveyard away days.

Meslier to spill a few and us to be out of it by HT
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

---------------------------Meslier-------------------------
Ayling----------Wober----Cooper------------Firpo
-------------------------Adams----------------------------
Harrison------------McKennie-------------Gnonto
------------------Rutter---------Bamford--------------

4-1-3-2 with Adams adopting the Phillips role, and McKennie more forward as an 8.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Forest have the 11th best home record, we have the 19th worst away record.

We have 0 wins in 6.

They have 3 wins and 2 draws and only 1 defeat.

This is definitely not going to be easy and Brennan Johnson must be licking his lips at the thought of exploiting Struijk down our left.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:08 pm Forest have the 11th best home record, we have the 19th worst away record.

We have 0 wins in 6.

This is definitely not going to be easy and Brennan Johnson must be licking his lips at the thought of exploiting Struijk down our left.
Forest are favourites, if you look at it from their point of view it's a must win versus a team in appalling form...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He won't do it but I still think we should be going with a back 3.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Meslier . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . Struijk . . . . . . . .Cooper . . . . . . . . . Wober

Kristensen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Firpo
. . . . . . .McKennie . . . . . . . . . Adams . . . . .
Rutter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . .Gnonto
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bamford . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Defensively more solid (especially with our narrow penisball).

Extra cover behind the wing backs with Adams or Mckennie able to drop in if needed.

More freedom for our Defensively poor wing backs.

Allows the wide players to tuck in as Jesse likes.

Makes sense to me.
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 pm Forest are favourites, if you look at it from their point of view it's a must win versus a team in appalling form...
Yep.

We are the team atm other clubs will target given our appalling form since August.
Signed

King Cjay

BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Cjay wrote:Forest have the 11th best home record, we have the 19th worst away record.

We have 0 wins in 6.

We haven't got any defenders capable of dealing with Johnson's pace, as you say, he'll be looking forward to this and adding to his goal tally.

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

With Johnsons pace, surely any manager worth his salt would simply have a DMF cover the full back everytime !!!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Hope none of you guys are giving the team talk before the game on Sunday :lol:

It is a game that could make or break our season though. Fingers crossed we at least get 1 point from it, but in reality we need all 3
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Just watched the 'Inside Training' film on YouTube. Summerville was looking sharp so should definitely make the bench. Don't think I saw Cooper though.