The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 21st March) Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 21st March) Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 21st March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

Illan Meslier continuous to be linked with a Summer move away from Elland Road, with Chelsea now joining the likes of Spurs, Manchester Utd and Newcastle. The 23 year old celebrated his 100th cap for the Whites at the weekend, becoming the youngest keeper in Premier League history to reach this feat; yet his days at Elland Road could be numbered.

French National Coach Didier Deschamps has once again overlooked the Leeds starlet, preferring to give Former Nottingham Forest (now Lens) keeper Brice Samba his first taste of International football. This must be a massive slap in the face for Meslier, who must have expected a call up following the retirement of Hugo Lloris.

In recent times, Leeds have shown a lack of ambition, which has seen them teetering on the edge of the drop zone. Will Meslier want to stay at Leeds for another season. He's contracted to the Summer of 2026, so the ball's in Leeds court. What is he worth? £30m sounds quite light for a play of his his quality, especially with the amount of clubs who are currently monitoring him. According to Fabrizio Romano...

Links with someone like Illan Meslier and a top club like Chelsea are normal, he’s a very talented goalkeeper and many clubs have sent their scouts to follow him. But at the moment, Leeds want to keep things quiet and not to open any negotiation now. Chelsea are yet to make a decision on the goalkeepers situation.

It’s a possibility that Mendy will leave Chelsea in the summer, but not something 100% decided yet. March is not time for final decision, also at Chelsea. Also, goalkeepers market is always a domino; not easy to find solution, and it hasn’t started yet.

Meanwhile, former player turned pundit Frank McAvennie insists that 'Spending £30m on a goalkeeper is nothing', compared to what bigger clubs spend, and has urged Spurs to get it (transfer) done.

I do not for one minute believe that they [Spurs] do not have any money, so go and spend it. It is not even his money. Daniel Levy does not own Tottenham, it is Joe Lewis’ money. If you own a club you want to get the best players and you are not going to get them at cut rates. Spurs have got to do that, they have never ever done it. Spending £30m on a goalkeeper, it is nothing. The big clubs will spend £80-£100m on a goalkeeper. In today’s world it has to be done.

Bogusz set to join LA Galaxy

Mateusz Bogusz is set to sign a permanent deal with LA Galaxy, according to US football journalist Tom Bogert. The 21yo Pole joined Leeds in 2019, and quickly became a fans favourite. He was sent out on loan to UD Logroñés, and more recently has enjoyed his second season with UD Ibiza. The fee is undisclosed, and Leeds have agreed to split the fee with UD Ibiza who have helped develop him. According to Bogert...

Leeds and Ibiza reach an agreement for the transfer of Mateusz Bogusz to MLS and he will sign for Los Angeles Galaxy. The Ibizan club will receive a good amount for his transfer, also a part for the English club. MLS continues to bet on young talent.

Super computer predicts Leeds safety

'FiveThirtyFive', the home of the Premier League super computer, which predicts league positions, come the end of the season believe Leeds will stay up, following their heroics last weekend at Molineux. According to the new data compiled after the games at the weekend, the Whites have only a 17% of being relegated, compared to Wolves (23%), Everton (40%), Bournemouth (54%), Nottingham Forest (56%) and Southampton (68%). They have calculated that Leeds will finish four points clear of the drop zone with 39 points, predicting a 15th place finish.

Would you take this now, if offered?

thatchapcarnell
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @thatchapcarnell

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 21st March) Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

Post by thatchapcarnell »

Meslier I'd take £50m for him in the summer but £30m is too low. He's a good young keeper and shot stopper but is also prone to the odd brain fart too. I like the prospect of Klaesson and then use the money to bring in an experienced head to help calm the defence.

Bogusz Haven't seen enough of him at Ibiza but seems unlikely he's setting the world on fire or would light up the Prem. Good luck to the lad.

The R Word Of course we'd all take 15th now tbh. But it's so tight from 12th to 20th that at the moment trying to guess the bottom three is a crap shoot. It's likely we won't get much at the Emirates and could be back in the mix. It's going to the v tight until the end of the season.
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 21st March) Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

Post by Scoobychief »

Meslier will go on to great things unfortunately not with us. He is defo worth 40 to 50m but this is leeds and could for for less than 30m
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Are Chelsea planning to offload Mendy and Kepa?

Cant see Mes being an attractive offer for Chelsea.. Spurps perhaps with LLoris aging now.

Be nice to cash in at some point though.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Scoobychief wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:28 am Meslier will go on to great things unfortunately not with us. He is defo worth 40 to 50m but this is leeds and could for for less than 30m
If it's Chelscum then it's got to be 80-100m , just because it's ........THEM ! Wow how I loathe that club and everything to do with them ( almost to the point of it being irrational 😀) . It's not like they are even a good team how , they are distinctly average at this point , mind you it would be nice for Leeds to be distinctly average . He might be better off at Newcastle maybe , they are an up and coming side and could be , given the amount if potential that the backers could provide , be huge . I really can't see the 49ers being in that league. He will move on of course ( Meslier ) , so hopefully Leeds can recoup enough to strengthen overall .
Shame about Bogusz , I thought he might be the next big star in midfield a few years back ....it's not going to happen though , not at Leeds .
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I wouldn’t want to lose Meslier in the Summer, but if it’s going to become inevitable, obviously a drop to the Championship would make it so, and he is contracted to 2026, then the hierarchy at the club really do need to make it count - no more cut price deals!

Bogusz didn’t really play often enough to become a “favourite” of mine. From what I did see he never really did enough to get me too excited but good luck to the lad, I hope he has a decent career in America.

I think we’ve learned enough over the last 3 years or so, to take no heed of super-computer predictions and modelling, they have been shown to be deeply flawed (that nincompoop Prof Neil Ferguson anyone?), so I will take any predictions by them with a pinch of salt thank you. I would definitely take 15th place, if offered right now, as you can guarantee that whatever the super-computer has predicted will be completely inaccurate.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:38 am Are Chelsea planning to offload Mendy and Kepa?

Cant see Mes being an attractive offer for Chelsea.. Spurps perhaps with LLoris aging now.

Be nice to cash in at some point though.
I read an article saying Mendy was off in the Summer
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

As good as Mes is at the moment, and still can get better as he gets older, im not sure a bigger team with ambitions to be playing in Europe and such like are going to buy him and put him straight into their first team. You need good experienced goalkeepers if you want to be playing at a high level week in week out. Mes for me if he went to a big club would only be there as back up.
Is that what he wants, sitting on the bench a lot ?
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Chelsea paid 80million for kepa from Bilbao, we should be after a similar amount if they were really keen to sign him. Whilst I like the guy I don’t see him as irreplaceable, especially if we can get 50+ to invest elsewhere.

Shame about bogusz he looked decent at times and klich bigged him up but as with a lot of our youngster from the champ days, the move to the prem was a step too far for them

I personally still think we will be relegated, we are still a bit soft and prone to bouts of panic especially when we take the lead in games, maybe gracia’s firmer grasp of tactics can help but it’s more a mentality issue that’s hard to fix.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Fair play to Bogusz. He knows how to party.

First, Ibiza, now LA!
Tyzy
First Team
First Team

Post by Tyzy »

GreennWhite wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:06 am As good as Mes is at the moment, and still can get better as he gets older, im not sure a bigger team with ambitions to be playing in Europe and such like are going to buy him and put him straight into their first team. You need good experienced goalkeepers if you want to be playing at a high level week in week out. Mes for me if he went to a big club would only be there as back up.
KP seems to be enjoying it !
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

IMO Meslier will never be a top keeper.

He's a bit of a one trick pony for me - shot stopper

His distribution, positioning and command of high balls are all poor.

These might improve with age but that is not certain.

So I would be happy with 30 million and a more experienced replacement.
Allez le Blancs
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Clacton White wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:51 am If it's Chelscum then it's got to be 80-100m , just because it's ........THEM ! Wow how I loathe that club and everything to do with them ( almost to the point of it being irrational 😀) . It's not like they are even a good team how , they are distinctly average at this point , mind you it would be nice for Leeds to be distinctly average . He might be better off at Newcastle maybe , they are an up and coming side and could be , given the amount if potential that the backers could provide , be huge . I really can't see the 49ers being in that league. He will move on of course ( Meslier ) , so hopefully Leeds can recoup enough to strengthen overall .
Shame about Bogusz , I thought he might be the next big star in midfield a few years back ....it's not going to happen though , not at Leeds .
I can’t see him anywhere near Newcastle, not with Pope there. I can’t see Meslier settling for a number 2 spot there either.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Bogusz always looked like a 'man in a kid's body' type of footballer. Had the physique to dominate against players his age but then nothing special against men when suddenly his physical attributes are no longer a huge advantage. I had/have similar concerns with Cresswell although he seems to be doing well at a much stringer level of competition than Bogusz is playing at. I had similar concerns about Gvardiol when we were linked with him but he seems to be doing well so hopefully Cresswell can do the same.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Meslier is a capable keeper but has serious issues in his positioning and distribution. He is worth imo around the 40 million mark but really needs to improve his all round game. If a serious offer came on there are plenty of good keepers out there that could replace him.
Leeds are in a transition period where the defence needs a rebuild and the funds from the Meslier sale could be spent wisely to replace the deadwood at the back
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Meslier is a capable keeper but has serious issues in his positioning and distribution. He is worth imo around the 40 million mark but really needs to improve his all round game. If a serious offer came on there are plenty of good keepers out there that could replace him.
Leeds are in a transition period where the defence needs a rebuild and the funds from the Meslier sale could be spent wisely to replace the deadwood at the back
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Bogusz will thrive in MLS. Happy for him.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Musicman1965 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:45 pm Meslier is a capable keeper but has serious issues in his positioning and distribution. He is worth imo around the 40 million mark but really needs to improve his all round game. If a serious offer came on there are plenty of good keepers out there that could replace him.
You are probably right regarding price ( excluding Chelscum as I mentioned ) , but the problem regarding a replacement at the present time ......it's reliant on Orta , and therein is a massive problem . While Orta is DoF I don't see any progression .
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

If we sell MESLIER to Chelsea we should demand Gaga Slonina as part of the deal.

MATEUSZ BOGUSZ to LA Galaxy is a good move for the player. He will be part of a growing trend of young European players making the move to MLS in order to jump start their career playing first team football at a higher level. MLS loves to bring these kids in, help them develop, and move them back to Europe in the prime of their career. Good luck to him!!
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

GreennWhite wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:06 am As good as Mes is at the moment, and still can get better as he gets older, im not sure a bigger team with ambitions to be playing in Europe and such like are going to buy him and put him straight into their first team. You need good experienced goalkeepers if you want to be playing at a high level week in week out. Mes for me if he went to a big club would only be there as back up.
Tend to agree with this. I think he will reach a good level and will obviously improve his stats with better players in front of him but imo he's 4/5 years maturity away from being top class.