The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st June) Cooper wants to stay but do Leeds want him

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st June) Cooper wants to stay but do Leeds want him

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 1st June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Cooper wants to stay but do Leeds want him

Liam Cooper posted a heart felt message from his Instagram account last night, apologising unreservedly on behalf of himself and his team mates for their unacceptable and substandard efforts of last season. Coops, 31, spent much of last season on the sidelines, managing just 16 starts. Whilst his performances weren't as grim as some others, one wonders how he would cope with a gruelling and more physical Championship campaign?

He may have managed it (in style) three years ago, but time takes it's toll on the best of us. It's very easy to say we should keep the likes of Bamford, Cooper, Ayling, Dallas and Forshaw as squad players, but where does it stop? The club have some tough decisions to be made.

A devastating few days and a tough couple months in front. I would like say sorry to everyone we failed. My club. Our unwavering supporters and my family. You the fans are the heartbeat of the club and we failed you. This will stay with me for a while but it will be soon time to write our next chapter. Through better decisions on and off the pitch I believe we can bounce back.

I sit here right now not knowing in which direction the club will go in terms of players etc. What I will say is I will never turn my back on my club. Everything needs to be driven to get our great club back at the first time of asking. I know it’s difficult for everyone right now, but we can use this adversity to bring us all together come the start of the new season.

Should Bamford go this Summer

Elland Road journalist Phil Hay believes Patrick Bamford needs to cut ties with Leeds Utd and start afresh somewhere else next season. The 29 year old has been plagued by injuries and fitness issues over the last two seasons. Even when wheeled onto the pitch, his team contributions have been found wanting, whilst woeful in front of goal.

Towards the business end of the season, he missed an empty net v Leicester City; then a few weeks later failed to convert his spot kick against Newcastle. This quickly turned into a hate campaign, with hundreds of fans taking to social media to vent their anger and frustrations at the crestfallen striker.

Is Bamford really to blame? Leeds have very limited options up front! Although Rodrigo has been banging in the goals this season, persistent injuries have started to take its toll, and at 32, is beginning to slow down. According to Phil Hay...

Leeds might have to think about saving Patrick Bamford from himself. This has been another extremely difficult year for him and there are surely only so many times you can dangle him in front of a crowd who are trying to be patient but seriously struggling. It will look ridiculous if next season continues in the same vein.

Leeds intend to stick with Rutter

Five months after joining, and nothing to show for his endeavours, Georginio Rutter's time at Elland Road has been far from inspiring, yet, according to Phil Hay, Leeds intend to keep their record signing, and unleash him on the Championship next season.

Signing him for so much, at such a young age was always going to be a gamble. Prior coming to Elland Road, he had built up almost 1300 minutes of game time under his belt (at Hoffenheim), during which he scored twice, and provided two assists. He finished 26th in the Leeds ratings, with only Gelhardt, Klich and Joseph below him! Will he be good enough for the Championship, or should Leeds cut their losses now?

Arguably the most intriguing situation of all. Rutter is Leeds’ record signing but his value can hardly have increased since his January arrival (one start, no goals, one assist). On the other hand, he’s been here for such a short time that it would be seriously bizarre to see him vanish so quickly. The 21-year-old Frenchman has talent, undoubtedly, and maybe the Championship is a level where he could get on a roll. Much as he’s a very expensive signing for a club playing at that level to hold onto, Leeds intend to do so.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st June) Cooper wants to stay but do Leeds want him

Post by Chilli D »

Bamford has been a decent servant for the club, the pinnacle for him being our first season in the PL but imo its time to for him to move elsewhere. Not his fault the last two years have been blighted by injuries but recent issues around social media and his total lack of confidence suggests he should move.

Absolutely right to keep Rutter, there's definitely a decent player there and we wouldn't get what we paid for him, but god forbid we appoint Allardyce, his playing time will be limited.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 1st June) Cooper wants to stay but do Leeds want him

Post by Byebyegeegee »

The Championship will suit Liam Cooper. Although his age is a consideration, I’d keep him anyway for his experience and maybe eventually, as someone has already suggested, make him part of the coaching set up. You can’t doubt or fault his commitment to this club.

The only way Bamford will leave is if he is told he is surplus to requirements, is available on “a free” and he, himself, would be willing to accept a cut in wages.

We can’t afford to take a loss on Rutter (and at this point it would be a heavy loss), so he will be kept in the hope that he will live up to the value of his transfer fee in due course.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Cooper staying will divide opinion. For me it depends on the wider picture in terms of who leaves. I do not see retaining Cooper as critical in any way. But we cannot leave ourselves with a young and inexperienced defence, experience in the dressing room is very important. But he is not the only player who brings this to the table.

I would prefer to see Bamford go - although much will depend on him. Based upon his last two years will there be many suitors ? Plus whoever takes over as head coach will have a huge say on his future at the club. Which leads onto the real issue - when are we going to appoint someone who can start sorting out the mess. This for me is the most worrying dilemma currently as the clock is ticking.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 am Bamford has been a decent servant for the club, the pinnacle for him being our first season in the PL but imo its time to for him to move elsewhere. Not his fault the last two years have been blighted by injuries but recent issues around social media and his total lack of confidence suggests he should move.

Absolutely right to keep Rutter, there's definitely a decent player there and we wouldn't get what we paid for him, but god forbid we appoint Allardyce, his playing time will be limited.
People keep saying there's a decent player within Rutter and he's one for the future, but I can't think of any instances that would excite me.

Is it just because of his price tag, that people are bigging him up?
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

How Rutter went from 750k to 35mill in 12 months is beyond me. Orta and consequently lufc really got sold down the river, just one of a long list of c**k ups .

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Cooper I'd definitely keep for another year, though not as a starter. His experience will be invaluable if, as expected, we have a lot of young and/or new players unaware of the pressures of playing for Leeds.

A fully fit Bamford would have something to offer in the Championship but, again, not as a guaranteed starter. The key thing is will he ever be fully fit again?

Not young Rutter's fault that he's been burdened with a huge and unjustifiable price tag, nor that he came into a club in freefall. We currently don't know if he is good enough, even for the Championship, as he has had little to no game time. Would be madness to sell him, imo, no way we're getting anything like what we paid for him if we did. Let's see what he's like with a full pre-season and a run of games before passing judgement.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:43 am People keep saying there's a decent player within Rutter and he's one for the future, but I can't think of any instances that would excite me.

What little he has played, he's shown flashes of skill but he came to a club in freefall and disarray. I think with more game time he will do a job for us but not as an out and out striker.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:43 am People keep saying there's a decent player within Rutter and he's one for the future, but I can't think of any instances that would excite me.

I think you need a lot of proof via stats, I tend to ignore stats and use my eyes. Unfortunately a lot of really talented players don’t get the conditions they need to succeed

Rutter has all the tools, (baseball has a term, 5 tool player, Rutter falls int that catagory for me) he just needs to be coached up now and we’ve had poor coaches since Marsch arrived
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:37 am What little he has played, he's shown flashes of skill but he came to a club in freefall and disarray. I think with more game time he will do a job for us but not as an out and out striker.
I would have to disagree. The only time he gets near the pitch is when we're 4 or 5 down, which suggests Managers see him as a liability.
squad1.jpg
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I am far from convinced by Rutter also. But as others allude to the sample size is small. Personally, I think he has a very similar running gate to Bamford, rather flappy and unbalanced IMO. But if it works for him that is what counts.

Ultimately we will find out whether he has the ability, I am sure he will get chances during pre-season.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cooper, Bamford and the rest of our injury prone, talentless old guard can get binned off immediately for me.

They are part of the reason we've ended up non-performing over the last two seasons and why we've ended up regressing to the levels they belong at.

They should have been gradually phased out when we got promoted and all gone by now. But they're all still here, due to poor leadership, abysmal recruitment, sentimentality and complete lack of ambition.

Over to you Radz "Changes need to be made", classic, too late mate. I don't trust you as far as I can throw you.

Rutter was another mad signing by Victor Orta, when we needed a goal scoring striker. When we've spunked that amount on him you've got to at least give him a chance.

But he's not been given a chance, which is no wonder when we ended up with a coach who needed to produce a win, and possibly by three clear goals, who selected a team of defenders.

We are a mess and a half and that's gonna continue with that stupid tosser Radz in charge.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Keep Cooper. Absolutely.

Loyalty works both ways and he will be an asset to us in the Championship.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am I would have to disagree. The only time he gets near the pitch is when we're 4 or 5 down, which suggests Managers see him as a liability.

squad1.jpg
So you really rate the managers we’ve had?…
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Cooper can do a job as backup if fit

Bamford is past it (broken)

Rutter, sorry but there's no way he is a £35m player. Hope he proves me wrong but I'd value him at £5m tops. Obviously below Gelhardt in the pecking order so that's really worrying
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am I would have to disagree. The only time he gets near the pitch is when we're 4 or 5 down, which suggests Managers see him as a liability.

squad1.jpg
Strange logic.
If we're 4 or 5 down it would suggest we already have liabilities on the pitch.
If he only gets a few minutes at the end of the game, how does he prove otherwise?
All it says to me is, Gracia and Allardyce went with experience over youth.
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Cooper. Keep for his experience

Bamford. Please get rid. If he was a horse we’d be calling him Bostick by now.

Rutter. Feel sorry for him. Brought in and the last two managers didn’t seem to want him near the first team. Put him next to an out and out goal scorer and see what happens. No point keeping though if Alladyce gets the gig.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Cooper wants to stay but do Leeds want him.

I think we need to move Coops on personally. I like the guy and his experience would be useful for the younger players but he has been the mainstay in a team that can not defend for seasons. I agree he's broken physically. Thanks for the memories Liam hope to see you back one day in another capacity.

Should Bamford go this Summer.

Another one who is Broken so for me its a big YES. I have never been a Bamford fanatical but he won me over during the Bielsa days through his work rate. We need a new exciting attack next season if that's to be a mixture of Rutter, Joffy, Joseph and Perkins so be it. I am not sure who could afford him tho. Maybe Luton.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

All clubs will be aware of Bamford fragility so he'll be difficult to move on. If someone offers 2 mill sell him.

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

BGwhite wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:56 pm All clubs will be aware of Bamford fragility so he'll be difficult to move on. If someone offers 2 mill sell him.

Yeah, if clubs do their homework it will be tough to get rid of Bamfraud :(