19/20 TEAM V 22/23 TEAM

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

19/20 TEAM V 22/23 TEAM

Post by Ellandback1 »

If our Championship winning squad of three years ago were to play a Leeds line up of last season, who would come out triumphant?

On paper, the current crop of wage thieves should make easy work of Bielsa's young guns, but having just watched re-runs of our title winning campaign, I'm not so sure.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: 19/20 TEAM V 22/23 TEAM

Post by 1964white »

One thing for certain is I loved that championship team, can't say the same for our bunch of losers in 2022/23.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The difference in togetherness is massive...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The amount of times Alioski would could appear from nowhere is staggering
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:28 am The difference in togetherness is massive...
The difference was/is the manager .... A good manager would have had us finish top 12 this season comfortably
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Combined team:

GK Messlier
RB Ayling
LB Alioski
CB Wober
CB White
DM KP
CMKlich
CM Dallas
LW Gnonto
RW Sinisterra
FW Bamford (Championship version pre injuries)

Subs Robles, Cooper, Pablo, Rodrigo, Adams

In all honesty the only players I'd likely have in, assuming everyone was fit, would be Wober, Gnonto and Sinisterra. Even then I'd be tempted with Cooper over Wober due to Cooper's better distribution and knowing he worked well with White. On the wings I'd be just as happy with Pablo and Harrison. The only other consideration would be Adams in the midfield but he wouldn't replace KP and as such the better balance would be KP, Klich and Dallas. If Dallas had to play at full back then Adams would get in.

Says a lot about our recruitment that only 3 'new' players would get into the team and even then I'd be just as happy with those 3 players not in.

Also says a lot that 5 of the starting 11 were already at the club pre-Orta or 7 if Pablo and Cooper started.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:06 am One thing for certain is I loved that championship team, can't say the same for our bunch of losers in 2022/23.
The thing is though that pre Bielsa you, I and 99.9% of Leeds fans would have been happy to bin Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Dallas, KP, Forshaw, Pablo, Klich etc. I think out of al the players Bielsa inherited the fans would have only been sad to see Vieira and Pontus leave - funny old world that they were the 2 to leave.
Jimang
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jimang »

For sure the current batch of players are stronger and on paper should win, but I would definately back Bielsa Championship winners to come out on top. They were much fitter, far more determined and played as a team.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:59 am Combined team:

GK Messlier
RB Ayling
LB Alioski
CB Wober
CB White
DM KP
CMKlich
CM Dallas
LW Gnonto
RW Sinisterra

In all honesty the only players I'd likely have in, assuming everyone was fit, would be Wober, Gnonto and Sinisterra. Even then I'd be tempted with Cooper over Wober due to Cooper's better distribution and knowing he worked well with White. On the wings I'd be just as happy with Pablo and Harrison. The only other consideration would be Adams in the midfield but he wouldn't replace KP and as such the better balance would be KP, Klich and Dallas. If Dallas had to play at full back then Adams would get in.

Says a lot about our recruitment that only 3 'new' players would get into the team and even then I'd be just as happy with those 3 players not in.

Also says a lot that 5 of the starting 11 were already at the club pre-Orta or 7 if Pablo and Cooper started.
Casilla
Ayling
Alioski
White
Cooper
Phillips
Costa
Klich
Bamford
Hernandez
Harrison

Coach -: J Marsch

v

Meslier
Kristensen
Firpo
Koch
Wober
Adams
Summerville
Roca
Rodrigo
Sinisterra
Gnonto

Coach: M Bielsa

Now who wins?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

The Subhuman wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:19 pm Casilla
Ayling
Alioski
White
Cooper
Phillips
Costa
Klich
Bamford
Hernandez
Harrison

v

Meslier
Kristensen
Firpo
Koch
Wober
Adams
Summerville
Roca
Rodrigo
Sinisterra
Gnonto

Now who wins?
Bielsa’s team for me.

There’s not much difference in those defences, Adams a lesser player than Phillips perhaps but Bielsa’s team more clinical up front despite Hernandez creating more chances for Marsch’s lot.

and then there is the main man himself Bielsa, of course, managing the team.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:02 pm The thing is though that pre Bielsa you, I and 99.9% of Leeds fans would have been happy to bin Ayling, Cooper, Alioski, Dallas, KP, Forshaw, Pablo, Klich etc. I think out of al the players Bielsa inherited the fans would have only been sad to see Vieira and Pontus leave - funny old world that they were the 2 to leave.
That's what a good coach does.....improves players game by getting the best out of their ability.

I'm always sad to see players with passion quality & those who puts in a shift leave our club.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ayling
Alioski
White
Cooper
Phillips
Costa
Klich
Bamford
Hernandez
Harrison

v

Meslier
Kristensen
Firpo
Koch
Wober
Adams
Summerville
Roca
Rodrigo
Sinisterra
Gnonto

Now who wins?
Hmmmmmm. That would be interesting!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ayling
Alioski
White
Cooper
Phillips
Costa
Klich
Bamford
Hernandez
Harrison

v

Meslier
Kristensen
Firpo
Koch
Wober
Adams
Summerville
Roca
Rodrigo
Sinisterra
Gnonto

Now who wins?
I have to go Marsch's team, as long as Bamford of two years ago.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Barlow Boy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:48 pm Bielsa’s team for me.

There’s not much difference in those defences, Adams a lesser player than Phillips perhaps but Bielsa’s team more clinical up front despite Hernandez creating more chances for Marsch’s lot.

and then there is the main man himself Bielsa, of course, managing the team.
White and Cooper in defence is way stronger, and with Pablo's magic, and Alioski everywhere, Marsch team 4-2
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Ellandback1 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:11 pm White and Cooper in defence is way stronger, and with Pablo's magic, and Alioski everywhere, Marsch team 4-2
Not way stronger for me, they didn’t play together in the PL so we will never know if they could have transferred that Championship form to higher league.

I mentioned Pablo myself, and I get that, but someone has to finish his creative genius off and I see Bielsa’s team as stronger in that regard.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ayling
Alioski
White
Cooper
Phillips
Costa
Klich
Bamford
Hernandez
Harrison

v

Meslier
Kristensen
Firpo
Koch
Wober
Adams
Summerville
Roca
Rodrigo
Sinisterra
Gnonto

Now who wins?
Depends how long Marsch was in charge of that first group. If that first group had never been coached by Bielsa then I would take Bielsa's side to win 1-0 but have 37 shots to 1 and 73% possession.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:34 pm Depends how long Marsch was in charge of that first group. If that first group had never been coached by Bielsa then I would take Bielsa's side to win 1-0 but have 37 shots to 1 and 73% possession.
Both get a pre season and it's late March
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:30 am Both get a pre season and it's late March
I would still stick to my prvious reply if the Marsch team had never been tuaght by Bielsa.

If the first team had simply been taking over by Marsch, from Bielsa, and had had that much time under Marsch I would expect it to be similar. Although with the Marsch way of playing it migh be that they'd win despite being outplayed as they might create the better chances because they won the ball back in a dangerous area. I would say if the match was played 10 times the Bielsa side would likely win 8 or 9 of them.
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

weasel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:59 am Combined team:

GK Messlier
RB Ayling
LB Alioski
CB Wober
CB White
DM KP
CMKlich
CM Dallas
LW Gnonto
RW Sinisterra

LW Gnonto: Started really well but his ability/form dropped off.
RW Sinisterra: Always injured
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

Never understood why they let Alioska leave. Not the best left back but boy was he a great wing back and his energy was awesome