Beating the high press

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Sean_Nile
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Beating the high press

Post by Sean_Nile »

We were thwarted by the low block by Sheffield Wednesday, and now with Southampton it seemed that the high press was our undoing.

I watched an analysis of the Southhampton game and here are 5 points that could help if we employed them.

Pascal and Liam:
Quick Ball Movement: One of the most effective ways to beat a high press in football is through quick ball movement. Players should pass the ball rapidly, using short, precise passes to maintain possession and break through the opponent's pressing line. This forces the opposition to constantly adjust and expend energy.

Sam and Jamie:
Use the Width of the Pitch: Exploiting the full width of the pitch can stretch the opposition's high press, creating gaps in their defensive structure. Wingers and full-backs can be crucial in spreading the play and opening up passing lanes.

Glen and Ethan:
Vertical Passing: Instead of always passing sideways or backwards, look for vertical passing options to advance the ball up the field. This can catch the pressing team off guard and bypass their pressing lines.

Jimmy and Geogie:
Individual Skill and Dribbling: Skillful dribblers can beat multiple opponents and create space by taking on defenders one-on-one. Players with good dribbling ability can break through the high press and force the opposition to commit defenders to them, leaving others open.

Joel and Dan:
Off-the-Ball Movement: Intelligent off-the-ball movement is essential to evade the press. Players should make runs into space, drag defenders out of position, and create passing options for their teammates. This requires good communication and understanding among the players.

Overall, beating a high press in football requires a combination of tactical awareness, technical skill, and teamwork. Adaptability and quick decision-making are key to breaking down the opponent's pressing strategies.

What do you think?
Sean_Nile
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Beating the high press

Post by Sean_Nile »

In the video it shows how Liam is blind sided for the first Goal by Armstrong... there was lack of communication along the backline to warn him of the danger.

Glen should have been making space between himself and the man marking him when receiving the ball from Pascal, and then make a quick pass to Sam on the wing who was in acres of space.

Ethan was too sluggish defensively and was caught out of position.

Those were the main things I took from the video and most likely influenced the outcome of the game.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Thats a good read.

Just some thoughts

I will limit my comments mainly to the first half as they were the most relevant.

You could see from minute 1 what SH were all about. They loaded 3 players out left and targeted Shackleton and hemmed him in,right from the kick off, that caused us to start getting dragged from side to side and their accurate passes found the gaps.

On Saturday I decided to ( as best as possible on tv that is) to watch Kamara, at times he wasn't positioning himself to receive the ball from the defence. He looked a little unsure of what he was supposed to do. He wasnt finding space to pick up a pass he wasnt making runs to create space for runners. So we had no out ball there. Without knowing what their orders were I can only guess what his remit was
Ampadu did better as he dropped deeper and found a little bit of joy driving into midfield. But he is a higher skilled footballer. Interestingly when he played out from the left hand side of our defence and ran diagonally.

I suppose this is the risk of playing 4 forwards away from home where we will see this tactic employed again. We will lost the midfield battles, through being outnumbered but and the wingers and front 2 can make all the space they want but if the ball is always at best a 50/50 its not going to work

Given SH had a midfield 3 they did seem outnumbered and closed off the passing lanes to our front 4 very well.

Good point about wide defenders, Ayling can do that and stretch the pitch and has the guile to handle that role. Shacks not so much? To be fair to him he was swamped at times and Rutter had to drop so deep to help him it was embarrassing

Our wingers did well to get in the game, although they did cut inside more often than go the outside route, one which I feel suits Pirlo the predator with his late runs.

I think the best way to beat the high press is to defend better, and let them run out of gas. They did stop pressing, but of course by then it was 0-3 and the game was lost.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Locky is one of the best online Youtubers, very astute tactically.

He studying a sports related degree at Leeds Uni, plays football & attends our home games.

Locky & Andrea Rossi (twitter fame) do lots of analysis on other teams, apart from Leeds, they live & breathe. football.

I believe Rossi (based in Italy) posted up on Twitter in the summer that Ampadu & Spence or Rodon would join Leeds, long before some of the other so-called experts.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:28 am Thats a good read.

Just some thoughts

I will limit my comments mainly to the first half as they were the most relevant.

You could see from minute 1 what SH were all about. They loaded 3 players out left and targeted Shackleton and hemmed him in,right from the kick off, that caused us to start getting dragged from side to side and their accurate passes found the gaps.

On Saturday I decided to ( as best as possible on tv that is) to watch Kamara, at times he wasn't positioning himself to receive the ball from the defence. He looked a little unsure of what he was supposed to do. He wasnt finding space to pick up a pass he wasnt making runs to create space for runners. So we had no out ball there. Without knowing what their orders were I can only guess what his remit was
Ampadu did better as he dropped deeper and found a little bit of joy driving into midfield. But he is a higher skilled footballer. Interestingly when he played out from the left hand side of our defence and ran diagonally.

I suppose this is the risk of playing 4 forwards away from home where we will see this tactic employed again. We will lost the midfield battles, through being outnumbered but and the wingers and front 2 can make all the space they want but if the ball is always at best a 50/50 its not going to work

Given SH had a midfield 3 they did seem outnumbered and closed off the passing lanes to our front 4 very well.

Good point about wide defenders, Ayling can do that and stretch the pitch and has the guile to handle that role. Shacks not so much? To be fair to him he was swamped at times and Rutter had to drop so deep to help him it was embarrassing

Our wingers did well to get in the game, although they did cut inside more often than go the outside route, one which I feel suits Pirlo the predator with his late runs.

I think the best way to beat the high press is to defend better, and let them run out of gas. They did stop pressing, but of course by then it was 0-3 and the game was lost.
Your comments on Kamara are not without merit. I too watched him closely and what surprised me is how he mainly played on the left. That has never been how he played at Rangers. Always he was predominately right sided, he has a sweet right foot. Playing left meant he often had to check a received ball then play onto his right which cut down his ability to pick out the best pass. If that’s how DF sees him it will be a while before he gets into gear.

What puzzled me most is he replaced Archie, who I believe also is predominantly right sided.
Last edited by Orange Box on Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:28 am On Saturday I decided to ( as best as possible on tv that is) to watch Kamara, at times he wasn't positioning himself to receive the ball from the defence. He looked a little unsure of what he was supposed to do. He wasnt finding space to pick up a pass he wasnt making runs to create space for runners. So we had no out ball there. Without knowing what their orders were I can only guess what his remit was
Agree Ian, more or less, how I called it on our Player Ratings topic this morning.

viewtopic.php?p=1121831#p1121831
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

This all says to me that the Soton manager knew what to do to beat DF and his tactics, and that's because he knows them inside out from their days together.

DF fcked up big time, i can only hope he's learned a valuable lesson.
Still being proven right years on.
Radz is a businessman - and knows nowt about football.
Orta is a fraud - and knows nowt about footballers.
Bert - A footballing mastermind that they both got lucky with, end of.

Timely member of a clique.
8-)
Sean_Nile
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Sean_Nile »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:28 am Thats a good read.

Just some thoughts

That was a considered and balanced thoughtful review. It was a good analysis without decending into a vitreolic rant that often accompanies the emotional reaction to a defeat.

I wish more posts were like this... level headed and not demanding a knee jerk reaction... and we could maintain a modicum of sanity when dealing with an upset that goes against the prevailing form.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

We got absolutely destroyed in the first half.
Martin completely outwitted Farke. It happens.
I remember the Swansea fans being underwhelmed by him initially but they warmed to him before he disappeared to Southampton. A talented manager.
Maybe the question is what could Farke have tweaked, if anything, during the first half.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

We do move the ball about rather ponderously in our tactical set up. To suggest the CB’s pass the ball quicker requires an outlet. Meslier gets criticism for his slow distribution, but he is always looking to execute a quick throw, if there is nothing on what is he supposed to do ?

I have no problem with a measured possession based tactic, but there needs to be an injection of pace to mix it up. Otherwise it all becomes rather predictable and SH, as others have mentioned quickly worked out how to interrupt our comfort zone by pressing high.

We have the players to beat the press but I am not sure we have the transitional tactics. Perhaps it is a work in progress ?

Once he has spence in the team I suspect we will see something very different and potent.
Sean_Nile
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Sean_Nile »

Kennyb41 wrote:This all says to me that the Soton manager knew what to do to beat DF and his tactics, and that's because he knows them inside out from their days together.

DF fcked up big time, i can only hope he's learned a valuable lesson.
A case of the apprentice schooling the master... but I don't think that anyone has mentioned just how many Southampton players have been selected for their national team, so that might also mitigate for the many other reasons as to the result did not follow the form.
IMG_20231002_133953.jpg
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Sean_Nile
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Sean_Nile »

1964white wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:32 am Locky is one of the best online Youtubers, very astute tactically.

He studying a sports related degree at Leeds Uni, plays football & attends our home games.

Locky & Andrea Rossi (twitter fame) do lots of analysis on other teams, apart from Leeds, they live & breathe. football.

I believe Rossi (based in Italy) posted up on Twitter in the summer that Ampadu & Spence or Rodon would join Leeds, long before some of the other so-called experts.
Yes it was a well reasoned analysis and the points were well made with the screenshots he had chosen, especially the one where Armstong is creeping behind Cooper... Byram should have been telling him to watch his back... just bad communication all round.